2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Intermittent remote locking issue

12-15-2023, 10:29 PM   #1
Jegethy
Rep
Drives: F10 530D

Question Intermittent remote locking issue

Hi folks,

My car is a 2011 F10 530D without comfort access.

I've been having an issue lately where every now and then, the car will either fail to lock or unlock with the remote. I've ended up having to use the physical key a few times. I've also noticed that the button to open the boot fails to work.

The problem started suddenly a couple of weeks ago. The only recent mechanical changes made to the car was fitting a new rear light as mine was cracked, and replacing both front headlamp bulbs.

I don't believe it's an issue with the remote battery. I replaced it just a few months ago and I've tested it.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? There are no warnings on the iDrive/dash and I can start and drive just fine once I'm in the car. Thanks!

Last edited by Jegethy; 12-15-2023 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 04:50 PM   #2
themama
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2016 BMW 535xi

is it happening with both the remotes?
As much as I am tempted to believe that the recent hardware changes could be the cause, do not want to take the potential remote going faulty out of equation. Also changing bulbs is pretty rudimentary and don't know of a reason they impact remote module.
Also by any chance do you have any kind of cover that you use for remote?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 01:23 PM   #3
Jegethy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themama View Post
is it happening with both the remotes?
As much as I am tempted to believe that the recent hardware changes could be the cause, do not want to take the potential remote going faulty out of equation. Also changing bulbs is pretty rudimentary and don't know of a reason they impact remote module.
I only have the one key unfortunately. The other was lost by the previous owner. I'm not sure the mechanical changes would have caused this as it's rudimentary, as you said, and replacing the rear light was a simple case of taking out 3 screws and replacing the cable.

My key is covered by my breakdown cover, but it only covers them being lost or stolen.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 02:49 PM   #4
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by themama View Post
(Quote) My key is covered by my breakdown cover, but it only covers them being lost or stolen. (/Quote)

I think he was asking if you have a protective cover on the key (like many people have on their cell phones)?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 07:03 AM   #5
Jegethy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trian View Post
(Quote) My key is covered by my breakdown cover, but it only covers them being lost or stolen. (/Quote)

I think he was asking if you have a protective cover on the key (like many people have on their cell phones)?
Oh, that makes more sense

Nope, no cover or anything. It's not even with my other keys, just by itself with a BMW keyring.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:27 PM   #6
themama
Private First Class
Rep

try getting a new battery again. (as that's the cheapest option, nothing wrong in trying).

If that doesn't work, see if you can avail your lost key service coverage could offer a new key 😉.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 05:34 PM   #7
Jegethy
Rep

I think I may have found the cause and it's one that I never would have expected... I have 2 mobile phones, an iPhone for work and my personal phone, which is a Google Pixel 8 Pro.

If I have both phones with me, the remote fails to work 90% of the time, but if I have either one of the phones, it works first time every time.

So it seems like having both phones on me is somehow causing interference with the remote signal being sent to the car. Not sure what to do about this aside from not having both phones on me, but most of the time when I go out this is a necessity.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 08:13 AM   #8
themama
Private First Class
Rep

wow.. thats a crazy find... try turning off NFC on both and see if that changes anything.
But glad you found the issue..
Appreciate 1