2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Trunk Subwoofer w/o Ski Pass-through

12-31-2015, 09:35 PM   #265
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

I got my first low battery message tonight, Im charging them now and gonna see how long before I get another one. We need to find out how to bypass the dynamic charging bullshit, I'm half tempted to mount another alt that goes straight to the batteries, but there has to be a way to bypass whatever is telling the alternator to not charge the batteries unless braking or coasting. This will be my next task or I might have to put the JL 1000/1 back in, no issues with that amp. Got any ideas Nelson?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 10:01 PM   #266
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
I got my first low battery message tonight, Im charging them now and gonna see how long before I get another one. We need to find out how to bypass the dynamic charging bullshit, I'm half tempted to mount another alt that goes straight to the batteries, but there has to be a way to bypass whatever is telling the alternator to not charge the batteries unless braking or coasting. This will be my next task or I might have to put the JL 1000/1 back in, no issues with that amp. Got any ideas Nelson?
You may have to get ISTA/D and/or ISTA/P in order to change something that in-depth. You may be able to find the program on here, but I got it from bimmerfest. If changing the charging programming is possible with the E-sys or whatever it's called that most people use to change car features, then ShawnSheridan would be the guy to ask.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2015, 10:48 PM   #267
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_civ_eng View Post
You may have to get ISTA/D and/or ISTA/P in order to change something that in-depth. You may be able to find the program on here, but I got it from bimmerfest. If changing the charging programming is possible with the E-sys or whatever it's called that most people use to change car features, then ShawnSheridan would be the guy to ask.
Thanks for the info I'll look into that, but we're all going to need this it seems after my system plays for about 30-50 mins the alternator stops charging the battery. So my initial testing of the battery voltage were not as good as I thought, I needed to test the voltage for a longer period of time. I'm going to ask the guy who coded my car to see if he can do it.
How do I get in touch with Shawn Sheridan?

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 12-31-2015 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #268
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info I'll look into that, but we're all going to need this it seems after my system plays for about 30-50 mins the alternator stops charging the battery. So my initial testing of the battery voltage were not as good as I thought, I needed to test the voltage for a longer period of time. I'm going to ask the guy who coded my car to see if he can do it.
How do I get in touch with Shawn Sheridan?
If you'll look on the F30 coding page, he will be all over that thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #269
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Guys I'm going to finish my install in this thread, I don't have the time it will take to start all over and most of you already know where I'm at anyway. I'll add more pics as I've been holding out for my thread so I'll have more to show than you've seen so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #270
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Sweet! Can't wait!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #271
Nelson@BimmerTech
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
I guess you're still using the OEM battery? I went through hell troubleshooting my battery discharge errors. in the span of 18 months i went through 3 OEM batteries and my E60 spend 2 weeks at the dealer. I even had to remove the whole system and they still couldn't get to the bottom of it. I ended up getting a sears diehard battery. They have a great hassle free warranty policy. You also might want to try a battery isolator http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...57FHS1BPWZTDHP
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #272
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech
Quote:
I guess you're still using the OEM battery? I went through hell troubleshooting my battery discharge errors. in the span of 18 months i went through 3 OEM batteries and my E60 spend 2 weeks at the dealer. I even had to remove the whole system and they still couldn't get to the bottom of it. I ended up getting a sears diehard battery. They have a great hassle free warranty policy. You also might want to try a battery isolator http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...57FHS1BPWZTDHP
That sounds like exactly what I went through with my current F10. It was a nightmare that made me take out the whole system in the first place. In the end did the Sears battery fix your problems or what else did you do to finally fix it? I'm about to get my system installed in less than two weeks so this scares me lol I want to be sure I have everything in place so I don't get the errors
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #273
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth
Guys I'm going to finish my install in this thread, I don't have the time it will take to start all over and most of you already know where I'm at anyway. I'll add more pics as I've been holding out for my thread so I'll have more to show than you've seen so far.
Anxious to see and hear about it!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #274
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
I am using the OEM battety and it was just replaced less than 7 months ago. I did add an XS power battery for my stereo, I already know what the issue is, it's the effecient dynamics charging process that the car only charges the battery when braking or coasting that bmw came up with to increase fuel economy. I'm going to figure out a way to bypass that shit or have it coded to charge all the time. This is a problem your going to have also if we can't figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #275
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
I am using the OEM battety and it was just replaced less than 7 months ago. I did add an XS power battery for my stereo, I already know what the issue is, it's the effecient dynamics charging process that the car only charges the battery when braking or coasting that bmw came up with to increase fuel economy. I'm going to figure out a way to bypass that shit or have it coded to charge all the time. This is a problem your going to have also if we can't figure it out.
Damn hearing this turns me off about the whole thing. Sucks. I'm still going to go through with my install in a couple weeks but if it gives me problems I'm just taking the whole shit out. Unless of course we come up with a solution
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #276
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
Damn hearing this turns me off about the whole thing. Sucks. I'm still going to go through with my install in a couple weeks but if it gives me problems I'm just taking the whole shit out. Unless of course we come up with a solution
No kidding right! Ill wait til they figure something out. For the meantime those running just the Bimmertech amp should be just fine right?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #277
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
No kidding right! Ill wait til they figure something out. For the meantime those running just the Bimmertech amp should be just fine right?
Yes you'll be fine with the bimmer tech amp.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #278
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
I'm working on a solution, but remember my sysyem has 4000watts just for the bass, I didn't have any issues with the 1000watt JL amp. So you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #279
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:
Yup no problems here with the bimmertech amp
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #280
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm working on a solution, but remember my sysyem has 4000watts just for the bass, I didn't have any issues with the 1000watt JL amp. So you should be fine.
I'm hoping man! Fingers crossed. I had problems before with a 1500 watt amp for bass and a 800 watt amp for the highs. But then again I don't think it was hooked up right. The system would never shut off overnight
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #281
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So I'm hoping no issues with the Bimmertech Amp with an external amp for the subs pushing 600 rms? Just you guys pushing crazy 2k+ wattage? Teddy have you checked the Bimmertech forums?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #282
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
So I'm hoping no issues with the Bimmertech Amp with an external amp for the subs pushing 600 rms? Just you guys pushing crazy 2k+ wattage? Teddy have you checked the Bimmertech forums?
Didn't even know bimmertech has forums
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #283
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't even know bimmertech has forums
Yep! Quite a few members from here are there too! Not as much traffic tho
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #284
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Teddy, any update on bypassing the Efficient Dynamics?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #285
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_civ_eng View Post
Teddy, any update on bypassing the Efficient Dynamics?
I called my coder and Im'd the guy you told me to talk to and nothing from them. I'm trying to locate the charging circuit wiring diagram to come up with a plan or if it will even be possible. Do you know where I could get wiring diagrams? I've been searching the interweb with no luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #286
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i did a search for the last hour and nothing came up for "charging systems and aftermarket audio systems"? still looking tho
Appreciate 0