2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Will f10 n55 be enough?

04-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #23
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsaiden View Post
what about adaptive suspension. Is it worth it?
For what it's worth, I find the non-adaptive M-Sport suspension on my F10 to be far superior to the regular suspension on the F30. Body motion is well controlled for a large car while still being comfortable. Also removes a potential point of failure.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #24
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Sorry, it took me a bit longer to find some time to respond. Well, first of all, thank you for your input. Now, I have to say, I'm a 6'9 and e92 is maybe even a little too small for me (just because I have a sunroof, which takes about 1cm of clearance). As you can think, that extra space you were mentioning, it really has a value for me, since I want to be comfortable in my car. However, up until now, I always thought that inside space is exactly the same for the driver in both F30 and F10 and it's only outside which is a bit wider on F10. And when I was trying F30 it really felt like a bigger car with enough of space, but I believe it could have been just an impression.
I'm a 25 YO, which really doesn't care about looking snobby and luxurious after all. As you've already said, I'm after THAT feel of driving a BMW, but since I've just married, and we're gonna grow on our family of three (me, my wife and our black labrador) pretty soon, I can't just pick recklessly into what I want at this moment, so I'm just looking for someone who passed over this experience I know after all it's all about my preferences, and I really have to try both. But something inside me tells me I'd love my future f30 more than f10, while it would probably be a worse family car than f10. And sadly enough, I can't afford keeping both
We're not that far off in height, so I know exactly what you're talking about and to be fair F30 is perfectly fine for leg and headroom, but comfort is significantly better in F10 (perhaps due to nicer seats, I do not know for sure). You will lose a bit of rear legroom behind you (and while at first look it doesn't seem to be the case if you just look at the distance between the back of your seat and edge of rear seat, keep in mind that rear seats in F10 are a bit "longer").

My issue with F30 is that handling is just not what it used to be (what you are used to) unless optioned very, very carefully. F10 at least has an excuse of being a large vehicle, and when optioned just right will be fun to drive, but never as nimble as what you seem to be after, no matter what suspension you put in it will behave like a large vehicle it is.

So, for you, I feel like this decision is easy. Me and my whole family are tall, and I have no issues spending vacations in Europe in Golf, Fabia, various Alfa Romeos, at one occasion older Clio and Tipo. Really, family of 3 does not "need" marginally more space 5 series will give you, F30 is plenty of car for you size wise.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #25
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
what about adaptive suspension. Is it worth it?
I feel that based on everything you said, without adaptive, or M-sport suspension, you will hate F10. I have DHP on mine and for what it's worth, I love it.

Also, not sure if you are looking at xDrive Vs. RWD, keep in mind there's difference in ride height (vehicle weight) and suspension feel between the two.
Appreciate 0