2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

05-06-2022, 02:10 PM   #5765
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
My two cents, those chicken shit offences give grounds to stop and investigate. If there was nothing else a warning to get if fixed.
I got a "no front plate" ticket in Nebraska. I guess he couldn't get me for speeding (THANK YOU radar detector!!!!!!!) so he had to get me for something.

He passed me, fell back and lit me up. As he was walking up to the passenger window I heard on his radio "affirmative California." Then he wrote me the fix-it-ticket.

Getting it signed-off was humorous. We were visiting our son in Santa Cruz and his apartment was across from a park. There were 3 local constabulary hanging out at the park so I went over to ask one of them to sign-off on the ticket (the NE trooper checked the box for "no rear plate" on the ticket). One of them asked why I just stay away from Nebraska, one mentioned it was ticky-tack and the 3rd signed it off. I did learn that in the PRK the front plate has to be affixed to the bumper and just propped-up in the windshield isn't good enough.
Simply has to be "permanently" affixed, no Sedan_Clan
      05-06-2022, 02:13 PM   #5766
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Quote:
My two cents, those chicken shit offences give grounds to stop and investigate. If there was nothing else a warning to get if fixed.
I got a "no front plate" ticket in Nebraska. I guess he couldn't get me for speeding (THANK YOU radar detector!!!!!!!) so he had to get me for something.

He passed me, fell back and lit me up. As he was walking up to the passenger window I heard on his radio "affirmative California." Then he wrote me the fix-it-ticket.

Getting it signed-off was humorous. We were visiting our son in Santa Cruz and his apartment was across from a park. There were 3 local constabulary hanging out at the park so I went over to ask one of them to sign-off on the ticket (the NE trooper checked the box for "no rear plate" on the ticket). One of them asked why I just stay away from Nebraska, one mentioned it was ticky-tack and the 3rd signed it off. I did learn that in the PRK the front plate has to be affixed to the bumper and just propped-up in the windshield isn't good enough.
The front plate has to be affixed to the bumper. I like the tow hitch mounts. Easy removal.
Appreciate 2
Esteban51314.00
BMWGUYinCO4300.00
      05-06-2022, 02:32 PM   #5767
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The front plate has to be affixed to the bumper. I like the tow hitch mounts. Easy removal.
Do you stop people with no front plate?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      05-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #5768
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It depends. The best answer I can give you is…..

…..yes, I sometimes stop people because their vehicle lacks a front plate……but, no, I don't stop people because their vehicle lacks a front plate. In other words, the impetus for the stop isn't simply for that reason; it's merely my legal justification for the stop. I could truly care less. I'm usually looking for something more.
Appreciate 5
Esteban51314.00
scostu1619.50
      05-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #5769
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

…..yes, I sometimes stop people because their vehicle lacks a front plate……but, no, I don't stop people because their vehicle lacks a front plate. In other words, the impetus for the stop isn't simply for that reason; it's merely my legal justification for the stop. I could truly care less. I'm usually looking for something more.
Got it. That's what I expected. Good answer.

PS - maybe that's why I've never been stopped for that.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      05-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #5770
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

I'd say if you're Spidey Senses are tingling.....but a copper I know got into shit for saying that while giving his evidence rather than articulating his grounds and a gun/drug case got tossed for it.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      05-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #5771
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'd say if you're Spidey Senses are tingling.....but a copper I know got into shit for saying that while giving his evidence rather than articulating his grounds and a gun/drug case got tossed for it.
Yeah, unfortunately our experience articulated using that verbiage doesn't fly. People who aren't working in the field (…and who generally lack social/situational awareness) just won't/don't get it.
Appreciate 2
scostu1619.50
      05-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #5772
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Most of the front plate tickets come from Parking Emforcement
      05-08-2022, 06:38 AM   #5773
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Sedan... did you get anything good at the gun buyback?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619222.00
      05-08-2022, 08:59 AM   #5774
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Sedan... did you get anything good at the gun buyback?
I've been off of work the last 3 weeks. I don't return until Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 09:57 PM   #5775
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Well.... THAT explains the increase in crime!!
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26687.00
vreihen1619222.00
      05-08-2022, 11:33 PM   #5776
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well.... THAT explains the increase in crime!!

They better run. I'll be back in 72 hours.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2022, 07:30 AM   #5777
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

Go get em'
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619222.00
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      05-10-2022, 03:41 PM   #5778
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:

Stay safe! Thank you for what you do.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      05-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #5779
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Quote:

Stay safe! Thank you for what you do.
Thanks brother. I appreciate the support. I'm admittedly dreading the end of vacation - and the subsequent return to work tomorrow - but I'm already planning a Santa Barbara road trip in August and a winter cabin/snowboard trip in Nov/Dec. Looking forward to being off of work is the only thing that gets me through the work day.
Appreciate 2
paquet631.50
BMWGUYinCO4300.00
      05-10-2022, 04:01 PM   #5780
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The various LEO agencies in our neck of the woods are all preparing their overtime schedules and response plans, in case riots break out over a certain pending controversial Supreme Court ruling.....
      05-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #5781
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The various LEO agencies in our neck of the woods are all preparing their overtime schedules and response plans, in case riots break out over a certain pending controversial Supreme Court ruling.....
My department was already deployed last week to help LAPD over the Rowe v. Wade protests that occurred, so I'm sure we are still on tactical alert. People are protesting for no reason and with little to no understanding about what the opinion actually states. The protestors riot and protest like abortions are being ruled illegal. Removing federal government involvement [that should've never been given in the first place] is not a bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 04:06 PM   #5782
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My department was already deployed last week to help LAPD over the Rowe v. Wade protests that occurred, so I'm sure we are still on tactical alert. People are protesting for no reason and with little to no understanding about what the opinion states.
Did you just assume my understanding???

It is a bit unusual to march in front of CITY hall, when the ruling seems to defer to the STATE
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 04:08 PM   #5783
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My department was already deployed last week to help LAPD over the Rowe v. Wade protests that occurred, so I'm sure we are still on tactical alert. People are protesting for no reason and with little to no understanding about what the opinion states.
Did you just assume my understanding???

It is a bit unusual to march in front of CITY hall, when the ruling seems to defer to the STATE
I didn't assume that, but you're also smart enough to research the issue. I can't say the same for the herds that form for protests.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619222.00
scostu1619.50
      05-10-2022, 04:12 PM   #5784
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't assume that, but you're also smart enough to research the issue. I can't say the same for the herds that form for protests.
Mods, we desperately need that sarcasm font installed!!!

Hey, you/your department going to carry the Special Olympics torch? I already signed up!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 04:14 PM   #5785
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Bring it on! I don't know what the ruling states either yet since it was just a draft apparently, but hey, anything that might challenge or overturn Roe v Wade, I'm ok with.

Of course, then I have that useless giblet of a Prime Minister here indicating he'll protect / defend abortions here. Funny thing...politicians then trotted out the old "a woman should have bodily autonomy, freedom to choose with her body" bit, but strangely enough, that very same argument is deemed invalid when it comes to taking the vaccine. Then, its all about restricting that individual's freedom when they opt for bodily autonomy. And saying that somehow, the non vaccinated are somehow a risk to the vaccinated...so why get fricking vaccinated if that were true? It's all so very dumb.

And I got vaccinated, but not because of any of the reasons the government wanted me to.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan26687.00
paquet631.50
scostu1619.50
jmack548.50
      05-10-2022, 04:17 PM   #5786
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Bring it on! I don't know what the ruling states either yet since it was just a draft apparently, but hey, anything that might challenge or overturn Roe v Wade, I'm ok with.

Of course, then I have that useless giblet of a Prime Minister here indicating he'll protect / defend abortions here. Funny thing...politicians then trotted out the old "a woman should have bodily autonomy, freedom to choose with her body" bit, but strangely enough, that very same argument is deemed invalid when it comes to taking the vaccine. Then, its all about restricting that individual's freedom when they opt for bodily autonomy. And saying that somehow, the non vaccinated are somehow a risk to the vaccinated...so why get fricking vaccinated if that were true? It's all so very dumb.

And I got vaccinated, but not because of any of the reasons the government wanted me to.
You've hit the nail on the head. Your rights are only your rights when the left feels under attack and it's a position they align with. Autonomy when it suits their position. I hope people are paying attention.
Appreciate 3