2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

10-11-2022, 08:33 PM   #6975
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Oh I definitely plan to. I'll be aggressively hunting. God I hope this works out.

Being on a moto gives you such a huge advantage in spotting bad behavior....and maneuvering to do something about it.

NGL there are times I wish I was a motor cop just go to start tapping people's windows and be like "Hey. Hi. Yeah. If you'd been paying attention to things around you, you wouldn't be so startled right now. Go ahead and pull over there for me mmmmmk?"

People drifting over lane lines, or braking at green lights, or doing 60 in a 65 in the left lane with nothing in front of them....god I could write a dozen tickets an hour just on the same 5 mile stretch of road (101 between, say, Palo Alto and 237 / Santa Clara, or 280 between Mountain View and San Jose, or 880 between 280 and 237).
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25301.50
________4163.50
Lady Jane72237.00
      10-11-2022, 08:42 PM   #6976
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Quote:
Well that's Canada, and that's a pretty odd circumstance. For the most part, if you are following so closely that you give yourself no room to stop safely without colliding into the vehicle ahead, you are at fault……even if the person ahead of you stops abruptly.
So she stopped her car on a highway with a 100kmh speed limit, and she was charged with Criminal Negligence. This wan't an incident of a typical rear end collision, this was a car parked in a live lane.
That explains it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:43 PM   #6977
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Quote:
Oh I definitely plan to. I'll be aggressively hunting. God I hope this works out.

Being on a moto gives you such a huge advantage in spotting bad behavior....and maneuvering to do something about it.

NGL there are times I wish I was a motor cop just go to start tapping people's windows and be like "Hey. Hi. Yeah. If you'd been paying attention to things around you, you wouldn't be so startled right now. Go ahead and pull over there for me mmmmmk?"

People drifting over lane lines, or braking at green lights, or doing 60 in a 65 in the left lane with nothing in front of them....god I could write a dozen tickets an hour just on the same 5 mile stretch of road (101 between, say, Palo Alto and 237 / Santa Clara, or 280 between Mountain View and San Jose, or 880 between 280 and 237).
I can't wait to tell you guys stories of riding by a car and witnessing the driver receiving a blowjob.
Appreciate 3
ramman434712.00
Lady Jane72237.00
      10-11-2022, 10:43 PM   #6978
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Again, tell me how this became a blockaded situation
I generally like you Cap'n, but this has been explained to you several times, and you simply won't acknowledge it. How many rounds he fired in 2 minutes is not germane to the discussion. He was in a classroom (4 walls) with the door closed, and could not be seen: barricaded. Not necessarily the dictionary definition, but that's not what the cops are using in their application of tactics.
The Germans have nothing to do with this.

He was actually in two classrooms. It was two doors. There was no barricade. School DPS officers would know this. Sedan clan is obviously not a school police officer. Nor has he done the training prescribed in the manual I provided for everyone here to look at.

If what the officers did was right, why did the chief of DPS say they were wrong? I'm not looking for likes here, I'm looking to dispatch ignorance..

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07...investigation/
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 10:50 PM   #6979
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
I'll be travelling to Whittier on Saturday. I hope you're off!!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 03:30 AM   #6980
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
I'll be travelling to Whittier on Saturday. I hope you're off!!
Lol! I won't be working that afternoon. You're safe……this time. Muahahaha!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 08:25 AM   #6981
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
You oughta see how they drove in Manilla when I was there with the Navy. The lane lines are barely suggestions and the signals are almost just for appearances.
Yeah. In Thailand lanes markers and directionals are mere suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:32 AM   #6982
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
He was actually in two classrooms. It was two doors. There was no barricade.
If the door was closed, it was a barricade situation according to the majority of police departments. Having TWO classrooms (adjoining?) with a shared door? is even worse situation. You can't see him, you don't know which room he's in. So you crash room 7, but he's actually in room 8? Guess who's getting shot in room 8. Flip a coin and crash the door?

OR, WAIT until you get the intel to know where the suspect is, have a planned incursion route to minimize potential x-fire, neutralize the threat.
      10-12-2022, 11:44 AM   #6983
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the door was closed, it was a barricade situation according to the majority of police departments. Having TWO classrooms (adjoining?) with a shared door? is even worse situation. You can't see him, you don't know which room he's in. So you crash room 7, but he's actually in room 8? Guess who's getting shot in room 8. Flip a coin and crash the door?

OR, WAIT until you get the intel to know where the suspect is, have a planned incursion route to minimize potential x-fire, neutralize the threat.
The blocked feature is wonderful!
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25301.50
________4163.50
///d1837.50
      10-12-2022, 11:46 AM   #6984
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
He was actually in two classrooms. It was two doors. There was no barricade.

That's why I ignored that post. It's like talking to a brick wall. All attempts to explain things to him reach one ear and go directly out the other; there's empty space in between. Furthermore, being an SRO/SRD means nothing (…except that you focus largely on juveniles and juvenile crimes; mostly petty bullshit like misbehaving students). In fact, it can be argued that SRO's/SRD's experience a significant decline in their law enforcement skills because they DO NOT actively police. They do not patrol, they stop honing their craft and they do not do much of anything to keep their skillset(s) acute and sharpened. It's a lazy, kick back assignment (…unless you're getting slammed to the ground by a 14-year old after attempting to break up a fight; that video went viral a few days ago). He doesn't know what training I've had, and he fails to recognize (…or just completely ignores) that I work for one of the three or four largest departments in the entire country with TONS of training under my belt. I think only NYPD and Chicago P.D. are larger; we are definitely the largest Sheriff's Department in the country. He claims he wants to dispel ignorance, but he can't even comprehend a barricaded suspect after it has been explained to him, in detail, at least five times. And then, to add the proverbial whipped cream and cherry on top, he points to the DPS Chief's comment about things being done wrong/improperly/ineffectively. No shit Sherlock!!!! What else do you expect him to say to the media when considering the optics surrounding that tragedy?!? It's like all deductive reasoning is non-existent.
Appreciate 3
///d1837.50
      10-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #6985
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's why I ignored that post. It's like talking to a brick wall. All attempts to explain things to him reach one ear and go directly out the other; there's empty space between.
I think it picks up speed in that void!
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25301.50
vreihen1615638.50
      10-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #6986
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
That's why I ignored that post. It's like talking to a brick wall. All attempts to explain things to him reach one ear and go directly out the other; there's empty space in between. Furthermore, being an SRO/SRD means nothing (…except that you focus largely on juveniles and juvenile crimes; mostly petty bullshit like misbehaving students). In fact, it can be argued that SRO's/SRD's experience a significant decline in their law enforcement skills because they DO NOT actively police. They do not patrol, they stop honing their craft and they do not do much of anything to keep their skillset(s) acute and sharpened. It's a lazy, kick back assignment (…unless you're getting slammed to the ground by a 14-year old after attempting to break up a fight; that video went viral a few days ago). He doesn't know what training I've had, and he fails to recognize (…or just completely ignores) that I work for one of the three or four largest departments in the entire country with TONS of training under my belt. I think only NYPD and Chicago P.D. are larger; we are definitely the largest Sheriff's Department in the country. He claims he wants to dispel ignorance, but he can't even comprehend a barricaded suspect after it has been explained to him, in detail, at least five times. And then, to add the proverbial whipped cream and cherry on top, he points to the DPS Chief's comment about things being done wrong/improperly/ineffectively. No shit Sherlock!!!! What else do you expect him to say to the media when considering the optics surrounding that tragedy?!? It's like all deductive reasoning is non-existent.
On that note;
There has been an uptick in home break-ins.
The public: “Is there anything we can do?”
Sure. Lock homes.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25301.50
      10-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #6987
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Quote:
On that note;
There has been an uptick in home break-ins.
The public: "Is there anything we can do?"
Sure. Lock homes.
Bro, between leaving doors unlocked and people who leave their cars running outside of convenience stores and in driveways, I'm convinced people are just asking to be victimized.
Appreciate 2
rwheels7066.50
T0RM3NT3826.50
      10-12-2022, 12:53 PM   #6988
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
people who leave their cars running outside of convenience stores and in driveways, I'm convinced people are just asking to be victimized.
In SoCal, this makes NO sense. Not Chicago where it's -337 outside and you want to keep the car warm. And simply doesn't get THAT hot that you need A/C to run for 5 minutes before you get in the car. I'm sketchy if I get out of my car, in front of my house, to move the trash cans and leave the thing running. Turn it off, take the keys out of the ignition (at least) and then move the cans. Get back in, start the car, finish parking.
      10-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #6989
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

I live in the sticks of MN. It gets damn cold. If I leave the X5 running I take the fob with me and lock it. If they get in, it's not moving anyways. But it's not often I leave it running unattended. The 5 minutes I spend in the store isnt going to make much of a difference in cabin temp if the vehicle is off. I really only ever leave it running if I just started it and it hasn't reached temp yet and I'm stopping at the place near my house.

But I do hate leaving my bike anywhere unattended. If I go to eat somewhere I always park where I can sit and see it. It takes 10 seconds for two guys to lift a bike into a truck or van and be gone.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 01:08 PM   #6990
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
people who leave their cars running outside of convenience stores and in driveways, I'm convinced people are just asking to be victimized.
In SoCal, this makes NO sense. Not Chicago where it's -337 outside and you want to keep the car warm. And simply doesn't get THAT hot that you need A/C to run for 5 minutes before you get in the car. I'm sketchy if I get out of my car, in front of my house, to move the trash cans and leave the thing running. Turn it off, take the keys out of the ignition (at least) and then move the cans. Get back in, start the car, finish parking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I live in the sticks of MN. It gets damn cold. If I leave the X5 running I take the fob with me and lock it. If they get in, it's not moving anyways. But it's not often I leave it running unattended. The 5 minutes I spend in the store isnt going to make much of a difference in cabin temp if the vehicle is off. I really only ever leave it running if I just started it and it hasn't reached temp yet and I'm stopping at the place near my house.
I'm certain there are regional considerations, but here in SoCal - where car jacking and vehicle thefts are increasing - it's a behavior I find perplexing. I've pulled up at stores to find cars unlocked and running, or witnessed people pull up, exit their vehicle while leaving it running, and enter a 7-11, Kohl's, restaurant, etc. It's a true SMH moment.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 01:12 PM   #6991
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post

But I do hate leaving my bike anywhere unattended. If I go to eat somewhere I always park where I can sit and see it. It takes 10 seconds for two guys to lift a bike into a truck or van and be gone.
I'm that way about my bike too, especially since I've had a bike stolen in the past using the very same method you've mentioned. After that incident occurred, I started parking my bike inside on the first story of the condo I lived it at the time. Unfortunately I only had a 1-car garage and my ///M had first dibs on garage space. My current garage is big enough for the 992, my V4 and I could fit a Fiat 500 in there as well…….but hopefully I'll be fitting in a BMW patrol bike by Jan/Feb.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2022, 01:21 PM   #6992
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I do the same thing on garbage day. I shut the car off and take my pocketbook out with me, move the cans and get back in. Just this morning, I shut the car off, took my pocketbook with me the wipe something off the windshield.

Crime is out of control. They've been stealing cars like crazy all around me. The neighbors freak. Every morning on social media I see "They stole my car and were gone in one minute" posts. No shit. How long does it take? Uh, you left your car unlocked with the keys in it. I feel bad but smarten up. They keep coming and targeting the expensive cars because you allow them to. If all the cars were locked, they'd stop coming. And the car jackings... My nerves. I'm on high alert walking to and from my car, head on a pivot. This really sucks, it's worse than it was back in the late 70s and early 80s. I feel like we need Batman. Gotham is a mess.

Last edited by cmyx6go; 10-12-2022 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25301.50
T0RM3NT3826.50
      10-12-2022, 01:26 PM   #6993
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
I do the same thing on garbage day. I shut the car off and take my pocketbook out with me, move the cans and get back in. Just this morning, I shut the car off, took my pocketbook with me the wipe something off the windshield.

Crime is out of control. They've been stealing cars like crazy all around me. The neighbors freak. Every morning on social media I see "They stole my car and were gone in one minute" posts. No shit. How long does it take? Uh, you left your car unlocked with the keys in it. I feel bad but smarten up. They keep coming and targeting the expensive cars because you allow them to. If all the cars were locked, they'd stop coming. And the car jackings... My nerves. I'm on high alert walking to and from my car, head on a pivot. This really sucks, it's worse than it was back in the early late 70s and early 80s. I feel like we need Batman. Gotham is a mess.
….and it's going to get worse before it gets better now that some states have removed pre-context stops from police, Biden is pardoning people in jail, major city D.A.'s continue with the pro-criminal agendas, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 02:55 PM   #6994
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

@ Sedan:

After going through what you do each day, do you ever watch police-based TV shows? (Dragnet, Hill Street Blues, The Rookie, etc, Hawaii 5-0, etc)

I imagine that you might not want to watch crime dramas (hell, I'd never watch a TV show based on what I do every day), but who knows?

If you do, which ones are closest to 'getting it right', and which do you find most entertaining?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25301.50
      10-12-2022, 03:27 PM   #6995
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
@ Sedan:

After going through what you do each day, do you ever watch police-based TV shows? (Dragnet, Hill Street Blues, The Rookie, etc, Hawaii 5-0, etc)

I imagine that you might not want to watch crime dramas (hell, I'd never watch a TV show based on what I do every day), but who knows?

If you do, which ones are closest to 'getting it right', and which do you find most entertaining?
I actually watch a few of them, my favorites being Chicago P.D. and Law & Order: SVU. I think Chicago P.D. is a great watch, although it focuses more on investigations than it does the ins & outs of daily patrol. I think it does a great job of marrying old police behavior with more modern behavior, and showing the precarious positions the old style of policing places officers in despite being well intentioned (…and how modern police behavior comes into direct conflict with the old style). It is well worth the watch IMHO. The character, "Sergeant Voight," is very well acted and his behavior makes you root for him while simultaneously despising some of the things he does. Southland was a good series too.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 03:44 PM   #6996
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Appreciate 0