2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 5 Series Fuel Filter Replacement

02-12-2023, 09:24 AM   #1
Cowen49
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

5 Series Fuel Filter Replacement

Hi First time poster,

My car recently failed MOT on emissions, first advice was to service the fuel filter and replace. I have a new fuel filter and swapping out seems pretty straight forward.

Just one concern, do I need to bleed the fuel system using Ista or can I just swap it out and put the new one in. I've seen some people recommend stating ignition a few times before fully starting the car up to the get the fuel pump to refill the system, any views? It's 2012 diesel 520.

Follow up question if I need to use Ista where would I down load it and which cable should I purchase to connect to the OBD port?

Thank you for any help or advise.

Colin
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 12:58 PM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowen49 View Post
Hi First time poster,

My car recently failed MOT on emissions, first advice was to service the fuel filter and replace. I have a new fuel filter and swapping out seems pretty straight forward.

Just one concern, do I need to bleed the fuel system using Ista or can I just swap it out and put the new one in. I've seen some people recommend stating ignition a few times before fully starting the car up to the get the fuel pump to refill the system, any views? It's 2012 diesel 520.

Follow up question if I need to use Ista where would I down load it and which cable should I purchase to connect to the OBD port?

Thank you for any help or advise.

Colin
I don't know much about diesel, but I don't believe there's an issue with having to bleed the system on a gas vehicle. As far as connecting the car to ISTA, I use a simple ENET cable to connect.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 08:10 AM   #3
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

The official ISTA instructions do not mention activating the fuel pump after filter replacement, but indeed many people advise either forcing the fuel pump on in ISTA or cycling ignition a few times before starting the engine. Given all issues with the Bosch HPFP on these cars I'd follow that advice even if placebo :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 05:37 AM   #4
bigzebowski
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

After I changed mine, I had to start the car 6-7 time to prime the pump and get diesel to the engine.
Got me a little bit scared but it worked 😀
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 03:14 AM   #5
Cowen49
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
I don't know much about diesel, but I don't believe there's an issue with having to bleed the system on a gas vehicle. As far as connecting the car to ISTA, I use a simple ENET cable to connect.
Hi, Thanks for the response so a cable like the below, question how do you plug into laptop as mine doesn't have ethernet port?

Thanks

Colin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Ye...97812611&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 04:36 AM   #6
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowen49 View Post
Hi, Thanks for the response so a cable like the below, question how do you plug into laptop as mine doesn't have ethernet port?

Thanks

Colin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Ye...97812611&psc=1
Exactly like that. I use a USB to Ethernet adapter for mine.
Appreciate 0