2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bavsound Revenant vs. Powered sub in the trunk

05-09-2020, 05:17 AM   #1
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Bavsound Revenant vs. Powered sub in the trunk

My biggest complaint about my 676 hifi is bass, so I'd basically decided on this Rockford Fosgate powered sub for about $400 all said and done, including tax, wiring, etc:

https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p300-12t/

Obviously I'm trying to scratch the itch relatively cheaply and easily. But I just read about the Bavsound Revenant amp. It's $1k, and doesn't push as much wattage for the underseat subs but maybe that's offset by the fact they're underseat and not sealed off in the trunk like the Rockford would be.

So, any advice on whether the amp upgrade would create anywhere near as much bass as a separate sub in the trunk like I'm looking at? If the amp would, I'd consider paying up bc it'd obvi also meaningfully enhance the rest of my stock speakers at the same time.
      05-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Nothing compares to actually having a subwoofer or subwoofers in the trunk. The 8's under the seat will suffice those who want a little bit of bass but for the bass heads like myself you will need to run subs in either a sealed or ported enclosure along with an external amp. I wanna say the Bav amp I think instead has pre outside to hook up an external.amp for subs.

I'm in the middle of looking for an amp to push my Gladens but looks like price wise $800-900. Will it satisfy my bass needs? Probably not since all my cars have complete audio systems and I know what it's like with or without subs. The BMW is just now being upgraded. It's either Match or Mosconi. If the bass is not enough I will than have to looks at subs for the trunk. So to answer your question, no the revenant amp will not be enough to push subs in the trunk in my opinion
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 05-09-2020 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I would get the Rockford fosgate, leave the ski hole port open and run rca's to the match or bav amp for the signal. If you're running stock amp you'll have to get the technic harness

Lol dammit bro I think I'm gonna do this cause actually was looking at the musical enclosure but the enclosure is like $300-500 and that's without the sub and amp
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 05-09-2020 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the sanity check! I actually already ordered the RF but was worried I hadn’t given the Revenant/Match option enough consideration and was already feeling regret before even getting the new sub set up! Appreciate it.

And if that 300W sealed setup doesn't do it for me, I'll exchange it for the ported 500W instead. I've had the car for two years and at first thought the stock subs was enough to scratch the itch but obvi time goes by...I'm hoping the 300W is plenty.

Yea I've got the stock amp and have the Technic harness on the way. It's a burn that it costs ~$90 shipped and would be useless if I ended up upgrading my amp but it is what it is. That's what got my mind turning at first..."If I drop a G on the revenant then I won't need to pay the $90 for that harness..." LOL. But $400 all-in with a simple diy install can't be beat.

I'll keep an eye out for your project, looking forward to seeing what you decide on
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Thanks for the sanity check! I actually already ordered the RF but was worried I hadn’t given the Revenant/Match option enough consideration and was already feeling regret before even getting the new sub set up! Appreciate it.

And if that 300W sealed setup doesn't do it for me, I'll exchange it for the ported 500W instead. I've had the car for two years and at first thought the stock subs was enough to scratch the itch but obvi time goes by...I'm hoping the 300W is plenty.

Yea I've got the stock amp and have the Technic harness on the way. It's a burn that it costs ~$90 shipped and would be useless if I ended up upgrading my amp but it is what it is. That's what got my mind turning at first..."If I drop a G on the revenant then I won't need to pay the $90 for that harness..." LOL. But $400 all-in with a simple diy install can't be beat.

I'll keep an eye out for your project, looking forward to seeing what you decide on
My Gladen Alphas are suppose to arrive any day now which include the doors, tweets and under seats. After I've been spending countless hours watching YouTube videos and scouring the forums looks like the 2 best BMW pnp go to Amplifiers is the Match UP 7BMW and the Mosconi 130.4 dsp 4-channel dsp amplifier. The Match comes with the harness and its straight up swap in swap out. The Mosconi however if I'm reading it right but I could be wrong looks like from the videos posted I've seen the wires are connected from the main head unit. Than the lines have to be rerouted back to the OEM amp? Seems like a lot of work. So I'm leaning towards the Match. Now that you posted the RF sub I want that too now even before hearing if the 8's are enough. I had 8's in my lifted Toyota Tundra but those 8's were in a custom sealed enclosure and are much bigger than the 8's in the BMW. So I kinda know what to expect but being a bass head I know running the RF in the back should satisfy my bass needs even for 300 watts. The fact it already has a built in amp all I gotta do is run cable lines to the Match. I don't really like ported boxes because I'm not looking for those long bass extensions. I'm more for the EDM, Rap and pop music that's out so the sealed enclosure with the ski port left down should be perfect.

So with all said and done I wouldn't need that Technic harness
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
My Gladen Alphas are suppose to arrive any day now which include the doors, tweets and under seats. After I've been spending countless hours watching YouTube videos and scouring the forums looks like the 2 best BMW pnp go to Amplifiers is the Match UP 7BMW and the Mosconi 130.4 dsp 4-channel dsp amplifier. The Match comes with the harness and its straight up swap in swap out. The Mosconi however if I'm reading it right but I could be wrong looks like from the videos posted I've seen the wires are connected from the main head unit. Than the lines have to be rerouted back to the OEM amp? Seems like a lot of work. So I'm leaning towards the Match. Now that you posted the RF sub I want that too now even before hearing if the 8's are enough. I had 8's in my lifted Toyota Tundra but those 8's were in a custom sealed enclosure and are much bigger than the 8's in the BMW. So I kinda know what to expect but being a bass head I know running the RF in the back should satisfy my bass needs even for 300 watts. The fact it already has a built in amp all I gotta do is run cable lines to the Match. I don't really like ported boxes because I'm not looking for those long bass extensions. I'm more for the EDM, Rap and pop music that's out so the sealed enclosure with the ski port left down should be perfect.

So with all said and done I wouldn't need that Technic harness
Good to know you researched and landed on Match UP and Mosconi as the two best options...assuming you can find them priced similarly, to me the Match is a no brainer bc plug n play, doing that surgery for Mosconi is 1) a pain, and 2) has a good chance leading to more headaches (at least that's how these things go for me!)

FWIW, I called Bavsound today to get their opinion on whether their Revenant amp would create enough under seat bass. Dude was super helpful and gave the honest response that the amp isn't going to compete with actually having a separate sub. So, nothing new there, but good to even hear it from them.

Especially since you're going to have an upgraded amp, you'll save ~$90 on the technicpnp harness, feels like that RF sub for $300 all-in is a great value. $400 for me with a (supposedly) simple install is still great. Assuming it delivers the beats we need! I should have everything installed and somewhat tuned this weekend, I'll let you know
      05-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know you researched and landed on Match UP and Mosconi as the two best options...assuming you can find them priced similarly, to me the Match is a no brainer bc plug n play, doing that surgery for Mosconi is 1) a pain, and 2) has a good chance leading to more headaches (at least that's how these things go for me!)

FWIW, I called Bavsound today to get their opinion on whether their Revenant amp would create enough under seat bass. Dude was super helpful and gave the honest response that the amp isn't going to compete with actually having a separate sub. So, nothing new there, but good to even hear it from them.

Especially since you're going to have an upgraded amp, you'll save ~$90 on the technicpnp harness, feels like that RF sub for $300 all-in is a great value. $400 for me with a (supposedly) simple install is still great. Assuming it delivers the beats we need! I should have everything installed and somewhat tuned this weekend, I'll let you know
Awesome brother! Looking forward to how it turns out for you. Yup, sounds like the Match is a no brainer. The subs under the seat like what the Bav rep said won't compare to a true subwoofer in the rear. Maybe for those who aren't looking for that crazy bass. Best price I can find is the $800 range for the Match amp. Should be ordering it here pretty soon. BTW, do you happen to know what size the speakers are in the rear shelf and whether they're coax or separates?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:09 PM   #8
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Awesome brother! Looking forward to how it turns out for you. Yup, sounds like the Match is a no brainer. The subs under the seat like what the Bav rep said won't compare to a true subwoofer in the rear. Maybe for those who aren't looking for that crazy bass. Best price I can find is the $800 range for the Match amp. Should be ordering it here pretty soon. BTW, do you happen to know what size the speakers are in the rear shelf and whether they're coax or separates?
$800 isn't bad unless you're willing to wait out till a forum member posts one. They seem to come up more often in the f30 boards...

Sorry, no clue on the speakers! I haven't looked into anything past the sub (yet).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 05:21 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
$800 isn't bad unless you're willing to wait out till a forum member posts one. They seem to come up more often in the f30 boards...

Sorry, no clue on the speakers! I haven't looked into anything past the sub (yet).
F30 boards? Didn't think about that. Same amp works for them?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #10
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
F30 boards? Didn't think about that. Same amp works for them?
I'm pretty sure. Same model number and I think same harness works across a lot of 676 HifFis. For example, this one lists a bunch of other E and F series it supposedly works with (not that this guy is the authority...):

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1715013

Small catch is you'd definitely have to snag an F10 tuning file somewhere, but you'd probably end up playing with new tuning files even if you bought it off of an F10 user anyways.

Seems like there are a lot on ebay too for around $500, but I think you'd have to get one specifically with a BMW harness setup and I don't know how common that is outside of our boards.
      05-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty sure. Same model number and I think same harness works across a lot of 676 HifFis. For example, this one lists a bunch of other E and F series it supposedly works with (not that this guy is the authority...):

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1715013

Small catch is you'd definitely have to snag an F10 tuning file somewhere, but you'd probably end up playing with new tuning files even if you bought it off of an F10 user anyways.

Seems like there are a lot on ebay too for around $500, but I think you'd have to get one specifically with a BMW harness setup and I don't know how common that is outside of our boards.
Yup! Seems like the BMW hifi is the same for some platforms as the pnp looks to be the same harness. I will have to double and triple check that. I haven't seen anything in the $500 range? Links?

Just for specs sakes the MATCH UP 7BMW:

@ 4 Ohms 5 x 65 / 130 Watts (Front / Rear / Center channels)
- Subwoofer output @ 2 Ohms 2 x 160 / 320 Watts (underseat subwoofers)

This is the amp you linked which is an alternative amp but in would have to check for pnp connections for the 5 series
MATCH PP 86DSP 9-CHANNEL:

at 4 Ohms 8 x 55 Watts / 110 Watts
at 2 Ohms 8 x 70 Watts / 140 Watts

I saw this as an alternative Match Amp I can go with but 70watts to all 8 channels. Vs 160 for the underseat subs. Much cheaper amp.to go with but the 7BMW seems to fit my needs.

Not sure what to do with the tuning file yet but I'll play around with it when I get everything hooked up. I've done the tunes on my current and previous audio builds sonom wondering how different the Match will be?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #12
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yup! Seems like the BMW hifi is the same for some platforms as the pnp looks to be the same harness. I will have to double and triple check that. I haven't seen anything in the $500 range? Links?

Just for specs sakes the MATCH UP 7BMW:

@ 4 Ohms 5 x 65 / 130 Watts (Front / Rear / Center channels)
- Subwoofer output @ 2 Ohms 2 x 160 / 320 Watts (underseat subwoofers)

This is the amp you linked which is an alternative amp but in would have to check for pnp connections for the 5 series
MATCH PP 86DSP 9-CHANNEL:

at 4 Ohms 8 x 55 Watts / 110 Watts
at 2 Ohms 8 x 70 Watts / 140 Watts

I saw this as an alternative Match Amp I can go with but 70watts to all 8 channels. Vs 160 for the underseat subs. Much cheaper amp.to go with but the 7BMW seems to fit my needs.

Not sure what to do with the tuning file yet but I'll play around with it when I get everything hooked up. I've done the tunes on my current and previous audio builds sonom wondering how different the Match will be?
Ahh gotcha, I thought I finally had this whole 82/86/bimmertech/bavsound/match stuff sorted out but I see the Match UP is a different beast. Nice sub output, although seems like it's splitting hairs on the rest of the speakers? The $500 I was seeing was always for 82/86 amps.

(Still waiting on my Technic harness to arrive, but couldn't wait to start working so I dug into my trunk today...got power/ground set up and RCA/remote ready and the side panel amp access opened up. Soon!)
      05-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #13
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Btw, the truck version of the Rockford Fosgate has the slope on the front, so the back tucks nicely against the side of the trunk:
Attached Images

05-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Btw, the truck version of the Rockford Fosgate has the slope on the front, so the back tucks nicely against the side of the trunk:
Ah so you have the RF sub box already?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #15
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah so you have the RF sub box already?
Yea
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So looks like you're using the Technic harness to hook the sub up. How are you getting remote, power and ground for the rf?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #17
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So looks like you're using the Technic harness to hook the sub up. How are you getting remote, power and ground for the rf?
We'll see for sure when it arrives, but I think the harness also provides a remote connection

Ground wire I am also running to the amp area, alongside the RCA and remote. Pic below of where I sanded off paint around an existing hole I am bolting the ground against.

Power wire: if you're looking down at the battery, far left hand corner, you can pop up the red tab that covers the positive post. Remove the 10mm bolt and washer, put power wire terminal ring on, tighten down washer and bolt back on top. The tab won't shut anymore oh well. Then I ran power wire directly to the left and you can see in the prior pic where it pops up, a few inches away from the rest of the wires.

Let me know if you need any more pics, I can take more when I put the harness in and finish the setup.
Attached Images

05-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #18
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Good stuff. I'll keep you posted. Missed out on a deal for the Match 7 amp for $700. Was sold. You decided which amp to go with?

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 05-14-2020 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #19
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good stuff. I'll keep you posted. Missed out on a deal for the Match 7 amp for $700. Was sold. You decided which amp to go with?
Bummer! I think I'd go with that same amp if/when I upgrade, but I'm hoping I'm blown away with the sub upgrade and it's at least a year or so before I get the next itch haha
      05-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bummer! I think I'd go with that same amp if/when I upgrade, but I'm hoping I'm blown away with the sub upgrade and it's at least a year or so before I get the next itch haha
How do you like the stock speakers tho with the stock hifi tho? Wondering if I should do the same as you and just get the Technic harness and rf sub?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:20 PM   #21
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How do you like the stock speakers tho with the stock hifi tho? Wondering if I should do the same as you and just get the Technic harness and rf sub?
Eh, seem good nuff for now...probably ignorance is bliss!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #22
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Damn, I have the gain at about 1/3 and it slams. I even closed the ski port to see if that'd tone it down some too. Can't beat it for $400 and an easy install, only $300 for you bc you wouldn't need the harness. Some pics of different parts of the install in case it helps...I'm not looking for bonus points for neatness
Attached Images