2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Question about winter tires

07-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #1
kyledubs96
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i, BMW X5

Garage List
2016 528i  [0.00]
Question about winter tires

Im going to be moving to colorado in a few weeks, specifically the fort collins area and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with winter tires, I live in southern california and currently have pirelli C7's and they are fine for driving here, but i am wondering what the best winter tires would be to put on the car. I drive a 2016 528i RWD
any advice would help!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

I live in Chicago and change to winter tires despite running high end Michelin a/s the other three seasons. There is a vast difference in control and traction. I use a high end Pirelli winter tire though I forget the model #.

Have you looked at Tire Rack? Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 05:48 PM   #3
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyledubs96 View Post
Im going to be moving to colorado in a few weeks, specifically the fort collins area and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with winter tires, I live in southern california and currently have pirelli C7's and they are fine for driving here, but i am wondering what the best winter tires would be to put on the car. I drive a 2016 528i RWD
any advice would help!
Since you asked ... I've driven many many Canadian winters with deep snow, ice, etc. On my F10, Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires were unstoppable, particularly with my xDrive. There are many good brands, but I can say without reservation that the Nokian tires (made in Finland) work exceptionally well. Of course, everyone will have a different opinion on what is best, so certainly go with reviews you can find. Like I said, since you asked ...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 07:24 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto…there is no doubt a “vast difference” (as mentioned above) if you have the righ type of winter tires for the conditions you’ll be driving in. They will help you to not only move forward, but also stop and corner in all types of winter conditions…not just snow. There are days that are cold & dry, wet & cold, cold & icy, icy & slush, slush & snow, etc. And winter tires with their rubber compound and sipes and other technology can help keep your car stable in many winter conditions.

As mentioned by others…the national tire store’s websites are filled with good information…and have tests, surveys, reviews of multiple types of winter tires. Even the less expensive dedicated winter tires perform better than most all season tires. Just do a google search to get some knowledge and idea of what type of winter tires you’ll need, and you can then narrow you search based on how much you want to spend and other things that matter to you. Just don’t wait too late to make your purchase. If youi wait until late Nov/Dec…you may find it hard to find what you want.

Good luck.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Can't say what's "best", but after reading reviews couple of years ago, I went with Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen-1 (17"). Great performance so far on slush, snow and ice.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 02:34 AM   #6
tevad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i - Sophisto Grey

I moved to the Springs last August and purchased a set of Blizzaks. I've got a '14 535i RWD. Drove over Loveland, Hoosier and Berthoud passes all Winter to go skiing and never had any issues. It was also recommended to me to turn off traction control and my car felt planted everywhere I went. Just drive conscientiously.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 11:50 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevad View Post
… It was also recommended to me to turn off traction control and my car felt planted everywhere I went. Just drive conscientiously.
Just some FYI in regard to when to deactivate DSC (traction control).

The recommendation for turning DSC off and using DTC (dynamic traction control)…is when you are in DEEP snow or slippery/slushy inclines…basically driving situations where you need the wheels to spin and the engine throttle not to be reduced (like on an icy incline or loose traction situations like gravel/sand) and you need the wheels to actually spin to keep forward motion.

When DSC is still activated…and you’re on an icy incline or deep snow…traction control’s ABS braking and engine throttle reduction can prevent you from moving forward…so turning it off and allowing the wheels to spin and the engine to maintain throttle…you can probably get out of the driving situation you are in.

DTC allows for some wheel slippage and allows more room for wheel spin before e genie throttle reduction kicks in.

Turning DSC off for ALL winter driving events (even with winter tires) is not recommended because there are times in normal winter driving situations…traction control (DSC) may save your bacon like in preventing fish-tailing in a curve or turn…or ABS braking to help you maintain control in a skid.

If you have winter tires mounted (or not) and you attempt to drive through deep (unplowed) snow and your winter tires are spinning and you can’t move forward etc…then DO turn DSC off and see if that helps you move on down the road. But I would not recommend turning it off permanently for the whole season…because you would be losing some helpful safety interventions.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-30-2022 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0