2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 550i n63tu exhaust valvetronic question

03-30-2023, 04:49 AM   #1
raffifuzza
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550i LCI

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i  [8.50]
Question 550i n63tu exhaust valvetronic question

Hey everyone, I hope all is well. New to this website but I just got a question to ask. I plan to make a few mods to the exhaust for my 2015 550i. First off, I've gotten a few people saying that I should NOT take off all 3 sets of mufflers as it would be way too loud and get me guaranteed tickets (there are the rear mufflers, a large center one, and a pair of front mufflers/resonators those aren't cats I've figured out). For the rear mufflers I wanted to install a pair of mufflers from either Valvetronic designs or get some knockoff Chinese version from Aliexpress which apparently are just as fine at less than half the price. Has anyone done this sorta thing? If I delete the front and center mufflers and replace the rear mufflers with cutoff mufflers will it be TOO loud and/or sound bad without a resonator? Also if anyone can say if the Chinese valved mufflers are ok to get rather than Valvetronics I would truly appreciate that. Thanks for the help in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 07:22 AM   #2
bk_mike
|
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffifuzza View Post
Hey everyone, I hope all is well. New to this website but I just got a question to ask. I plan to make a few mods to the exhaust for my 2015 550i. First off, I've gotten a few people saying that I should NOT take off all 3 sets of mufflers as it would be way too loud and get me guaranteed tickets (there are the rear mufflers, a large center one, and a pair of front mufflers/resonators those aren't cats I've figured out). For the rear mufflers I wanted to install a pair of mufflers from either Valvetronic designs or get some knockoff Chinese version from Aliexpress which apparently are just as fine at less than half the price. Has anyone done this sorta thing? If I delete the front and center mufflers and replace the rear mufflers with cutoff mufflers will it be TOO loud and/or sound bad without a resonator? Also if anyone can say if the Chinese valved mufflers are ok to get rather than Valvetronics I would truly appreciate that. Thanks for the help in advance!
Factory M5 mufflers work great for a 550i.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #3
Oven Toaster
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

If you delete just the muffler of a 550i, 100% at 1500-2000 rpm annoying humming unbelievably horrible and disgusting drone noise. I came from honda B engines, k20's and Nissan VQ engines when you muffler delete those engine its like a symphony. So to eliminate that drone you need any muffler with Valvetronics.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 02:45 PM   #4
raffifuzza
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550i LCI

Garage List
2015 BMW 550i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oven Toaster View Post
If you delete just the muffler of a 550i, 100% at 1500-2000 rpm annoying humming unbelievably horrible and disgusting drone noise. I came from honda B engines, k20's and Nissan VQ engines when you muffler delete those engine its like a symphony. So to eliminate that drone you need any muffler with Valvetronics.
Haha alright thanks for letting me know about that. I have purchased a rear valved muffler pair from aliexpress already which will come in the next few weeks, so when that is installed I hope its not gonna be too loud or droney. Will update if you care or not
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 11:18 AM   #5
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

sent you a PM. if you're able to cancel your order, i have some mufflers for sale, that may work for you. Check your PM and happy to chat more on the phone if necessary

Last edited by xxpanipuri; 04-06-2023 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 02:43 AM   #6
SanTex
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 550i

hey man did the aliexpress mufflers work, also how is the noise level in the cabin any drone?
Appreciate 0