2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Replacing oil pan gasket cause rod knock?

03-27-2023, 12:29 AM   #1
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Replacing oil pan gasket cause rod knock?

I think I might have an issue here. After replacing my oil pan gasket on my 2012 535i with 66,000 miles I got a ticking noise that sounds like its coming from around the oil pan. I notice the ticking sounds when I stopped by advance auto to return some loaner tools. I knew I checked inside the oil pan if anything had fallen in before installing it and there where nothing. Soon after looking around I checked my oil level in the IDrive and it shows that I'm still a little low on oil, between half and full. I'm surprised that it's not at the full because I add 7 quarts.

Now I'm thinking about what could cause this ticking. Is it because it took me 6 days to finish the job? I took on this task Monday and finally finished on Saturday. It took me this long because i was doing it after work for a few hours. On Monday I got the the subframe and oil pan down. Tuesday, while installing the pan, I over torque a bolt and broken it in the block. Wednesday, I took a break to do some research on how to remove a broken oil pan bolt and ordered the tools. Thursday, tools arrived and got the bolt out. Friday, started bolting everything back and got into a jam with the subframe and stopped. Saturday finish bolting everything up. Sunday filled up the car with fresh oil and had it sitting there a few hours before starting it up.

My thought is did I leave the bottom out too long without oil.
Has anybody heard anything like this and happening? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. I pray to God hoping it's not rod knock.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 08:09 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

My brotha I must ask because you didn't mention it there- did you prime the oil system?
      03-30-2023, 09:19 AM   #3
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
My brotha I must ask because you didn't mention it there- did you prime the oil system?
No, I didn't prime the engine. I thought the priming procedure only apply to the OFHG. I've put around 20 miles on the car and it seems to drives okay. Took it on the highway and got it up to 8O mph with no problem. Also once the the engine warms I rev up it to 2,000 rpm for a few seconds and hear no knocking noise. I check the only level again and still a little low and not at max yet so i added half quart of oil but still didnt reach max. I only hear the noise at idle. One thing I didn't mention to while doing the oil pan gasket was installing my ar catless dp since I had the car up on 4 jack stands.

Going to take it to a shop to see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 10:08 PM   #4
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by top ramen View Post
No, I didn't prime the engine. I thought the priming procedure only apply to the OFHG. I've put around 20 miles on the car and it seems to drives okay. Took it on the highway and got it up to 8O mph with no problem. Also once the the engine warms I rev up it to 2,000 rpm for a few seconds and hear no knocking noise. I check the only level again and still a little low and not at max yet so i added half quart of oil but still didnt reach max. I only hear the noise at idle. One thing I didn't mention to while doing the oil pan gasket was installing my ar catless dp since I had the car up on 4 jack stands.

Going to take it to a shop to see what they say.
well, short of an oil change, you're "supposed" to do an oil priming procedure any time you open the oil circuit. This isn't necessarily a deal breaker (when I did my OFHGs 3 yrs ago I had NO IDEA that there was a correlation between that job and spun bearings, but I got lucky and no harm then). Im glad that the noise has gone away though!

One thing you can do on your own is go get a new oil filter and just pull and inspect the filter currently in the car. Open it up and check between the pleads (sp*... the folds! lol) with a flashlight for any signs of shiny metal. If it were me, that would make me feel much more comfortable between NOT seeing metal shavings in my filter, and the noise having gone away.