2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum car jolts going from D to P immediately

04-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
BlueTangClan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: na

car jolts going from D to P immediately

So I discovered a new issue. When shifting from D -> P within a second the car jolks. If I wait a couple of seconds or longer it shifts smoothly. Here's my scenerio....I would drive into my garage. I would then shift into R to check in the rear camera where I've parked. If I need to move in a little more, I would then shift into D, move in a few inches, then then shift to P. This takes less then a second. Is this normal for BMW? My other non-BMW cars all shift smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Why not just press the camera button instead of putting it into reserve?

Honestly, it sounds like you have been wearing down your transmission with quick shifts. Take the extra second to make sure the car has completely stopped before switching gears.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
BlueTangClan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Why not just press the camera button instead of putting it into reserve?

Honestly, it sounds like you have been wearing down your transmission with quick shifts. Take the extra second to make sure the car has completely stopped before switching gears.
Umm how about I not drive at all? Thanks for the reply but this does not help me. I need to know if this is normal to BMW or not so I can determine if it needs repairs.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTangClan View Post
Umm how about I not drive at all? Thanks for the reply but this does not help me. I need to know if this is normal to BMW or not so I can determine if it needs repairs.
Well if it didn't happen before, and it happening now; often that means its a problem. I would personally get it checked out and take a little more time between gear selections.

And use the camera button instead of going into reserve. Everything wears down eventually and if you don't need to use it, don't.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
BlueTangClan
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've only had the car for 2 months and I do not have to reshift back into D all the time. Most of time I would park correctly in the garage.

Can someone test if their car does the same?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
saad2605
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White 528i

Garage List
2021 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow he was just trying to be helpful. A little harsh on the person, no?

As far as the issue goes it could be the fact that the car is still moving ever so slightly and when the car shifts into park immediately the electronic brakes stop the car causing it to jolt. Now by no means am I good with BMW's as it's my first one and I'm still new to all of this but that's what I think could be an issue. Someone else might be able to chime in with a better explanation.
Appreciate 4
Ickdeep5715.50
STR8-6IX536.00
vpatel867319.50
      04-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

you just seem to be looking for issues that need to be repairing. i suggest you relax a little and stop assuming everything is broken just because it is doing something differently from your non BMW cars. the shifter in this car is electronic and it operates differently from your typical cable actuated shifter.

just press the damn sensor button instead of shifting into reverse next time and give it a second before shifting. make sure your foot is firmly on the brake pedal. nothing is wrong with your car.

also, dont be fucking rude to people trying to help you out. you're being a dick and worrying over nothing.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5715.50
      04-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
BlueTangClan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
you just seem to be looking for issues that need to be repairing. i suggest you relax a little and stop assuming everything is broken just because it is doing something differently from your non BMW cars. the shifter in this car is electronic and it operates differently from your typical cable actuated shifter.

just press the damn sensor button instead of shifting into reverse next time and give it a second before shifting. make sure your foot is firmly on the brake pedal. nothing is wrong with your car.

also, dont be fucking rude to people trying to help you out. you're being a dick and worrying over nothing.
Ahhh another BMW fanboy that thinks BMW is the holiest of all car makers and we should never question anything wrong with it. Lets trade cars for a week and then you tell me nothing is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #9
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Ahhh another BMW fanboy that thinks BMW is the holiest of all car makers and we should never question anything wrong with it. Lets trade cars for a week and then you tell me nothing is wrong.
How about instead spending your time and energy asking on the forums; take it to the dealer and get it inspected.

STR8-6IX is right, BMW do have different gear boxes than other conventional cars. What you might be feeling is the Electronic brake kicking in and stopping the car. BMW loves safety so its just one of those things you have to get used to.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
How about instead spending your time and energy asking on the forums; take it to the dealer and get it inspected.

STR8-6IX is right, BMW do have different gear boxes than other conventional cars. What you might be feeling is the Electronic brake kicking in and stopping the car. BMW loves safety so its just one of those things you have to get used to.
theres not even anything to fucking inspect! OP's car is FINE. I wouldnt even bother taking it in.

OP, if you cant at the very least politely decline peoples suggestions or even easier still not reply at all, you are honestly not welcome here. on top of this you are posting some bullshit that isnt broken and needs no attention in the first place.

I wouldnt be angry with you if you were polite from the beggining. people post useless shit on these forums all the time, but at least they are polite to the people taking their time to respond. what you are doing is not acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

I agree. You were rude to the guy giving you advice when you're the one on the forum asking for help. Don't attack people just because you didn't get the answer you want. It's like you WANT someone to tell you that something is wrong with your transmission. Relax, and not everyone on here are BMW fanboys. You're starting off on the wrong foot here with an attitude like that.

There's a lot of knowledge on here, but just like any equipment, you can't diagnose something that isn't broken . The car has a delay when shifting into park due to the electronic system. If you're really paranoid, go to the dealer and sit in one of the cars on the lot and try to replicate your 'issue' that you're trying to perceive into existence.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX536.00
      04-21-2017, 10:53 PM   #12
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

I usually do pull into my garage, and just by instinct, I hit the camera button right after hitting the garage opener button because the overhead view is wonderful in that it lets me see the line where my garage door lands in reference to my back bumper. So awesome!

If I back into the garage, of course the camera automatically turns on.

It never crossed my mind to ever 'use the force' to see where I stopped, and then double-check that with the camera afterwards, but hey, we all have our quirks :-)

Quirks often lead to other stuff too; like this thread :-)
Appreciate 0