2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F10 Wheel Alignment Issues: Help Requested!

04-02-2017, 04:58 AM   #1
Nick the Pharmacist
Rep
Drives: 535d SE

F10 Wheel Alignment Issues: Help Requested!

Yesterday a local tyre company fitted two new front tyres to my 2013 F10 535D (rear wheel drive) and checked the wheel alignment using a Hunter system, as there was abnormal wear on the outside of the OSF tyre. The check confirmed that the wheel alignment was out on the front and back of the car. They managed to bring the readings back into specification apart from the OSF camber (they told me that they were not approved to work on the top of the suspension strut) and the NSR camber (the fitter could not perform the adjustment due to a sensor being in the way and he did not want to damage the sensor).

The bill was paid and later on in the day I looked at the Hunter printout to find that the specification for a F10/F11 (2010 - 2016) All Wheel Drive vehicle had been used (I assume this is the xDrive version). I now have a big question as to whether the wheel alignment specification for the F10 Rear Wheel Drive and F10 xDrive are identical … Does anyone know?????

I have also seen that BMW advise that ballast is placed in the vehicle whilst the wheel alignment is checked and adjusted. Does anyone know if this is correct or an urban myth. If correct, how much ballast is needed????

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi
Is your car on m Sport suspension or se?
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Nick the Pharmacist
Rep

It's an SE (Luxury).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Ok don't worry as the x-drive uses se suspension so it's fine.
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Pharmacist View Post
Yesterday a local tyre company fitted two new front tyres to my 2013 F10 535D (rear wheel drive) and checked the wheel alignment using a Hunter system, as there was abnormal wear on the outside of the OSF tyre. The check confirmed that the wheel alignment was out on the front and back of the car. They managed to bring the readings back into specification apart from the OSF camber (they told me that they were not approved to work on the top of the suspension strut) and the NSR camber (the fitter could not perform the adjustment due to a sensor being in the way and he did not want to damage the sensor).

The bill was paid and later on in the day I looked at the Hunter printout to find that the specification for a F10/F11 (2010 - 2016) All Wheel Drive vehicle had been used (I assume this is the xDrive version). I now have a big question as to whether the wheel alignment specification for the F10 Rear Wheel Drive and F10 xDrive are identical … Does anyone know?????

I have also seen that BMW advise that ballast is placed in the vehicle whilst the wheel alignment is checked and adjusted. Does anyone know if this is correct or an urban myth. If correct, how much ballast is needed????

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Here are the alignment settings for sport/non-sport rear/all wheel drive 535ds

This is what the BMW instructions say to load the car to Normal Position for wheel alignment:

Vehicle with complete equipment for normal operation with: 2 x 68 kg on front seats (seats in central position); 1 x 68 kg on rear seat (centre); 1 x 21 kg in luggage compartment (centre) and full fuel tank.

Each time I've had alignment done, varying weights of lead type blocks have been put on the front seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 04:07 AM   #6
Nick the Pharmacist
Rep

mrashton,

Many thanks for your reply and the guidance on the weights required.

The car is booked into the local BMW dealer for the wheel alignment to be repeated.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #7
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Pharmacist View Post
mrashton,

Many thanks for your reply and the guidance on the weights required.

The car is booked into the local BMW dealer for the wheel alignment to be repeated.

I had mine done at a reccomended wheel alignment centre in bham after having some rusted bolts changed, you can see the before and after

I'll report back on how it's handling a little later, all that's left now is for my alloys to come back before i book it in with BMW for the vibration again!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrashton View Post
Hi,

Here are the alignment settings for sport/non-sport rear/all wheel drive 535ds

This is what the BMW instructions say to load the car to Normal Position for wheel alignment:

Vehicle with complete equipment for normal operation with: 2 x 68 kg on front seats (seats in central position); 1 x 68 kg on rear seat (centre); 1 x 21 kg in luggage compartment (centre) and full fuel tank.

Each time I've had alignment done, varying weights of lead type blocks have been put on the front seats.
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I am wondering if the weights and specs/settings are same for a 2016 550i m sport suspension? I am looking into getting a KW v3 or Bilstein PSS10 coilover set up and want to confirm the shop can do the alignment correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #9
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I am wondering if the weights and specs/settings are same for a 2016 550i m sport suspension? I am looking into getting a KW v3 or Bilstein PSS10 coilover set up and want to confirm the shop can do the alignment correctly.
"Vehicle with complete equipment for normal operation with: 2 x 68 kg on front seats (seats in central position); 1 x 68 kg on rear seat (centre); 1 x 21 kg in luggage compartment (centre) and full fuel tank."

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ement/CN0fzmXM

Bookmark the site. Very, very valuable information.

Last edited by John H.; 03-16-2019 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Added info.
Appreciate 1
Luky77.50
      03-17-2019, 01:23 AM   #10
Proimport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i

Only thing they did was a toe and go. That's not the right way to do an alignment on a bmw. The vehicle has to be strapped down or weighed. Also the back up camera has to be calibrated as well as the steering wheel position sensor and lane assist. That's why the dealer chargers so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #11
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
"Vehicle with complete equipment for normal operation with: 2 x 68 kg on front seats (seats in central position); 1 x 68 kg on rear seat (centre); 1 x 21 kg in luggage compartment (centre) and full fuel tank."

Done. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post

Having spent part of this morning dropping my car off for remedial work at a dealership I got to witness first hand the technician finish up a 'kds' on a 535d...

There was not a single weight in sight

The only difference I could spot between the hunter wheel alignment I had done from STS tyrepros and my local guy at oxhill is the wheel adapters - the BMW workshop used a fancy schmancy fitting which went through the 5 holes in the alloy wheel, independent used a clamp on jig which mated with the front of the wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #13
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Unfortunately bmw KDS is no guarantee of anything. I've had poor ones done (tried aligning only the front!) and all the times I've had a KDS by two different dealers they've never weighted the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 01:24 AM   #14
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
Having spent part of this morning dropping my car off for remedial work at a dealership I got to witness first hand the technician finish up a 'kds' on a 535d...

There was not a single weight in sight

The only difference I could spot between the hunter wheel alignment I had done from STS tyrepros and my local guy at oxhill is the wheel adapters - the BMW workshop used a fancy schmancy fitting which went through the 5 holes in the alloy wheel, independent used a clamp on jig which mated with the front of the wheel
Did you take it for spin on the dual carriageway? If so, how did it go?

Unless alignment procedures have recently changed, they should have added some weight to your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #15
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Both the alignments I had done from oxhill and recently STS tyrepros in Banbury were perfect after completion. Only one I've ever had an issue with was a local garage that used the old style equipment

Mine drives perfect, I can let go of the wheel and it holds true
Appreciate 0