2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N63 engine replacement question?

01-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #23
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn938 View Post
Has anyone gotten a replacement engine yet? If so how long did you have to wait. I have personally been waiting almost 8 months for a replacement engine and keep getting run around by BMW corporate and my BMW service center. I didn't even use the class action for my replacement engine rather my third party warranty paid out for it. This whole experience has just confirmed why I won't be buying BMW cars ever again.
Some people got as early as 3 months most are in same boat as you, i know they look at each replacement case by case and decide which is more important.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #24
Cncjerry
Rep
Drives: X6 and 335i

Hello thread people,

I've been posting on other threads. My X6 started using oil at 35k miles and became worse at 55k. BMW said it was 'normal'. I argued, threatened, etc for years, finally parked the car when the Bang Class Action suit started. After many, many emails, and with support from the Bang Class administrator, the local BMW dealer called me to bring my car in for 'repair'. I dropped it this morning and picked up a rental.

In June of this year, BMW evaluated my car the same way they did at 55k miles. I was using one US Quart every 250 miles (check the gas and fill-up the oil). They were still saying 'normal' even though it was smoking so badly people were stopping my wife and telling her the car was on fire! Still normal. Finally BMW told me their final offer was 40% of a 21k valve stem seal repair! Ha! This was crazy! The Bang admin went back to BMW NA, argued my point, and the dealer called. This brings me to today. I understand a replacement engine with labor, engine and turbos to be 10k. BMW is only offering me 4k off, which means I have to shell out 6k. This is bologna since my car failed at 55k seriously, 35k excessively. So now I am waiting to see if their story changed and they will do the seals for free. I heard the dealer billed cost to BMW NA is less than 5k for the seals...

I loved that car. I've had them all, Maserati, Porsche, Ferrari, two BMWs, Mercedes, Jags, three Alfas (my first lemon law) and I think the X6 is up there with the best. Tons of power, etc. I have the sport package on it, don't know the final HP, but it is really strong, tons of torque, beat my 911 from red light to red light (my Audi S3 outran it), but it smoked pretty much since 30k. Whatever that service was around then, I think it caused it. One problem is the turbo location adds heat to the top of the engine (or so I was told).

More to come,

Jerry (CNCJerry on most sites) Look for my X6 beast in Marin county, Ca.
Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
RMNB365.00
      01-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #25
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cncjerry View Post
Hello thread people,

I've been posting on other threads. My X6 started using oil at 35k miles and became worse at 55k. BMW said it was 'normal'. I argued, threatened, etc for years, finally parked the car when the Bang Class Action suit started. After many, many emails, and with support from the Bang Class administrator, the local BMW dealer called me to bring my car in for 'repair'. I dropped it this morning and picked up a rental.

In June of this year, BMW evaluated my car the same way they did at 55k miles. I was using one US Quart every 250 miles (check the gas and fill-up the oil). They were still saying 'normal' even though it was smoking so badly people were stopping my wife and telling her the car was on fire! Still normal. Finally BMW told me their final offer was 40% of a 21k valve stem seal repair! Ha! This was crazy! The Bang admin went back to BMW NA, argued my point, and the dealer called. This brings me to today. I understand a replacement engine with labor, engine and turbos to be 10k. BMW is only offering me 4k off, which means I have to shell out 6k. This is bologna since my car failed at 55k seriously, 35k excessively. So now I am waiting to see if their story changed and they will do the seals for free. I heard the dealer billed cost to BMW NA is less than 5k for the seals...

I loved that car. I've had them all, Maserati, Porsche, Ferrari, two BMWs, Mercedes, Jags, three Alfas (my first lemon law) and I think the X6 is up there with the best. Tons of power, etc. I have the sport package on it, don't know the final HP, but it is really strong, tons of torque, beat my 911 from red light to red light (my Audi S3 outran it), but it smoked pretty much since 30k. Whatever that service was around then, I think it caused it. One problem is the turbo location adds heat to the top of the engine (or so I was told).

More to come,

Jerry (CNCJerry on most sites) Look for my X6 beast in Marin county, Ca.
Do not give up! that's absurd for you to pay 6K for a design flaw made by BMW. Valve stems should be fully covered by BMW.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #26
Cncjerry
Rep

Yes, but BMW NA's attorneys are pretty sharp. They agreed to repair the car for free or replace the engine at their option. The repair is free and not prorated by mileage; the engine replace is. Also, if you read the settlement carefully, the prorated amount is based on the mileage when it fails the test. In my case, it started using oil at 35k give or take but they can argue, no, it is when we do the test. So in my case, if they prevail on the prorated mileage, the test would be at 95k miles and I would pay 60%. 60% of 10K engine replacement is way beyond what I will pay to fix the car. (Read this like what my wife will allow me to spend to fix a car she is tired of hearing about). Alternatively, I think I can still go to arbitration on the original warranty issue since they failed to repair the car's oil consumption.

Anyway, I hope to hear of other's success on valve stem seal repairs opposed to engine swaps.

Jerry
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #27
Cncjerry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by resmaj1 View Post
ok...here is my deal.

Bought my 2013 X5 50i in Jan 2017...only 11K miles (paid 35K for 85K MSRP)and as of today I have 51K miles on it. No real issues until recently notices engine oil low between Oil Changes. HEard about the engine issues and brought car to dealership for consumption test. Learned today it failed, and they will replace valve stems...and I have to cover any internal parts estimated 500-1000. So my question is....does this solve my problem? For how long? When and why won't they just replace the engine? Or is that next? Thanks for any help...trying to decide to keep or sell after this fix.

I dont understand why you would have been charged for internal parts as part of the N63 Class Action repairs, though I can see being charged for fluids. Also, dont confuse the N63 Class Action repairs with the N63 customer care package repairs. According to the settlement, the N63 repairs (non engine replace) are not prorated and are agreed to be free. Otherwise BMW would not be abiding by the agreement and the Class Adminsistrator should be notified. They are very repsonsive.

Jerry
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #28
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 550I, 07 335I,

I recently had my 2011 BMW 550i with 93k repaired under the class action suit settlement. They repaired the valve guides, replaced both turbos, oil return cover and all associated oil lines and gaskets. I was given a courtesy car for 28 days. I simply went to my local dealership complained of oil consumption. They performed the test and read all the faults on the car. Once confirmed they sent the case to BMW NA and they approved the repairs free of charge.
I would simply say its clear the dealerships are independent of each other and frankly I would suggest going to another dealership. Also it wouldn't hurt contacting the Bang website to make sure your vin# is in the system.
Appreciate 1
RMNB365.00
      01-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #29
Cncjerry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahone View Post
I recently had my 2011 BMW 550i with 93k repaired under the class action suit settlement. They repaired the valve guides, replaced both turbos, oil return cover and all associated oil lines and gaskets. I was given a courtesy car for 28 days. I simply went to my local dealership complained of oil consumption. They performed the test and read all the faults on the car. Once confirmed they sent the case to BMW NA and they approved the repairs free of charge.
I would simply say its clear the dealerships are independent of each other and frankly I would suggest going to another dealership. Also it wouldn't hurt contacting the Bang website to make sure your vin# is in the system.
this is just fantastic news! Clearly sets precedence if I get any pushback at all they will have a lot of explaining to do. I'm also surprised about the turbos being replaced. My x6 as I have mentioned ad nauseam, started using excessive oil at 35K miles. Lots of documentation even to the point where they were putting multiple exclamation points in the comments on oil consumption.

Had you contacted BMW over the years? If so, who was your BMW rep? Over the years I had spoken with several but the last one who's initials are NM, a woman, seemed to be completely out of touch.

This is fantastic new, just fantastic. I am still waiting for the dealer to call with a plan of action.

Jerry
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #30
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I did not have prior contact with any SA or BMW rep. My vehicle did receive the ccp when owned by a previous owner based on the meticulous records I have on hand. I simply called a dealership informed them of my oil consumption issue and that I was directed by the Bang Representatives to contact my local dealership and explained I wanted a free oil consumption test as per the guidelines listed in the class action suit documents. The documents clearly state that after failing a test the dealership has the option of trying to repair the cause of the oil consumption before at least 3x before replacing an engine. Or... they can choose to change the engine anytime they deem so and depending on mileage a percentage paid by owner. In my case they saw that the oil consumption was caused by valve guides and a failing oil return cover gasket and leaking turbos. Some say it's more expensive to do all that then swap an engine. In my case the engine itself ran flawless except for the oil consumption. I'm actually happy they didn't swap the engine as it would have cost me 60% of the repair based on my mileage.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-31-2019, 08:27 PM   #31
trad50i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Settlement work

Quote:
I did not have prior contact with any SA or BMW rep. My vehicle did receive the ccp when owned by a previous owner based on the meticulous records I have on hand. I simply called a dealership informed them of my oil consumption issue and that I was directed by the Bang Representatives to contact my local dealership and explained I wanted a free oil consumption test as per the guidelines listed in the class action suit documents. The documents clearly state that after failing a test the dealership has the option of trying to repair the cause of the oil consumption before at least 3x before replacing an engine. Or... they can choose to change the engine anytime they deem so and depending on mileage a percentage paid by owner. In my case they saw that the oil consumption was caused by valve guides and a failing oil return cover gasket and leaking turbos. Some say it's more expensive to do all that then swap an engine. In my case the engine itself ran flawless except for the oil consumption. I'm actually happy they didn't swap the engine as it would have cost me 60% of the repair based on my mileage.
I just took my X5 50i with 113,000 in tues for oil consumption test and battery replacement under settlement. My SA called today and said they are doing the valve seals, oh and of course i need a alternator wire sensor (wire has been broken for years) for $189 part and 242 labor. It's already torn down, why would i pay labor, LOL. It has been 3 days and i have a loaner, she says it will be done monday. i asked about the free battery stated in settlement, they denied me so far. I have been emailing back and forth with the Bang settlement administrator to get help with these issues.
BANG SETTLEMENT ADMISISTRATOR 6013
P.O. BOX 44 MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55440-0044 just in case anybody needs it.
I am the second owner of this X5, it has had some of the CCP done before. Timing chain i believe was done. I am attempting to get them to replace my battery which is 4 years old, i thought they were replacing them with oil changes which i have had 4 done at BMW (6 total in 26k miles of ownership) and not one battery was offered. The settlement says we get one free 105 or 92 AH battery so i am going to have to argue for it. If i don't get satisfaction, i will continue to talk with the settlement admin.
It's terrible that we have to go into dealerships and argue/beg for them to make good on $80k+ products they sell. I guess BMWs attorneys won the battle because we still could possibly pay for engine replacements if needed. I will never buy another BMW again, i had a 2006 v8 4runner for almost 11 years and only a loose spark plug and failed windshield wiper motor in 180k miles and it held it's value, i got $9k on trade in almost 11 years later. Back to Japanese for reliability for me, this waiting in fear for a $6-10k$$$ repair job to pop up is tooooo much !!!!!!!!
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-31-2019, 09:12 PM   #32
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

They will repair the valve guides in a weeks time? Whoa They took 28 days to repair mine. Truth be told I think the 550i is an amazing car. I will just learn to do as many repairs on my own and eventually like all my old muscle cars of yester years keep another hotrod on the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #33
shawn938
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Finally after almost 8 months of waiting I have received a replacement engine and will be picking up the car on Friday. From what my service advisor told me BMW is only sending 2 replacement engines a month to every region.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #34
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn938 View Post
Finally after almost 8 months of waiting I have received a replacement engine and will be picking up the car on Friday. From what my service advisor told me BMW is only sending 2 replacement engines a month to every region.
… 2 replacement engines a month. This is complete BULLSHIT on BMW's part! For a company like BMW to make their loyal customers suffer through this just wrong imo.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #35
shawn938
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
… 2 replacement engines a month. This is complete BULLSHIT on BMW's part! For a company like BMW to make their loyal customers suffer through this just wrong imo.
Yeah I was kind of helpless when it came to waiting because there was nothing I could really do. I kept calling corporate and my service center but I would get the same response every time. Honestly the customer relations team and the executive customer care people are a joke and have no real knowledge of parts availability and are just really there to string you along with anything regarding the N63 engine. These past 8 months of waiting have shown me why I will not be buying a BMW in the future.
Appreciate 1
RMNB365.00
      02-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #36
avasu01
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i GT (RWD)

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i GT Engine Failure

Bought a pre-owned F07 2012 BMW 550i GT from a used car dealer in Skokie, Illinois. The car was marketed to me as being in exceptional condition, recently serviced, well maintained, etc. Within 6 hours of having the vehicle in my possession, the car gave me a major Drivetrain Malfunction error and went into limp mode. The care is basically inoperable.

I immediately took it to a local BMW Mechanic (3rd party) and they did a full inspection and diagnostic. Found out the following:

Requires new spark plugs and engine coils
Requires new Intake Air Duct Tubes & Breather Hoses
High Pressure Fuel Pump in Bank 2
Thermostat Assembly
New Oil Service
Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Pan Gaskets
New Battery
Cracked Rims

There is massive oil leaking in various areas of the vehicle and the mechanic has provided me with photographic evidence of all of this.

I bought the car for under $15k, but now I've been quoted about $10K in repairs. Does any of this stuff fall under the N63 Class action? Do I have any recourse with BMW to get some of these items taken care of under the Customer Care Package? My car has 96,000 miles on it, so would it be eligible for a full replacement? What would be my cost for that and what would BMW cover if it's eligible?

Also to any lawyers that may be reading this, do I have any recourse of legal action against the dealer? They sold me a vehicle that had numerous faults after advertising it was in excellent shape. They also cleared out all of the codes and sent me photos of the cleared ODB2 (less than 60 miles ago).

Advice is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #37
jrileymail
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

N63 Engine Replacement

I recently had the engine replaced in my 2012 650i convertible at about 43,000 miles. I had experienced premature battery failure and slightly high oil consumption, but none of the nightmare issues others have had. Uncharacteristically, I had purchased and extended warranty and just before it was to expire the dealer recommended doing a leak down test to see if my engine was going to become a problem. It flunked and they replaced the engine with a brand new one. Bill came to a bit over $10,000 all in, but I only had to pay the $100 deductible. I should buy a lottery ticket now. Anyway, does anyone know if the replacement engines are "fixed"?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #38
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasu01 View Post
Bought a pre-owned F07 2012 BMW 550i GT from a used car dealer in Skokie, Illinois. The car was marketed to me as being in exceptional condition, recently serviced, well maintained, etc. Within 6 hours of having the vehicle in my possession, the car gave me a major Drivetrain Malfunction error and went into limp mode. The care is basically inoperable.

I immediately took it to a local BMW Mechanic (3rd party) and they did a full inspection and diagnostic. Found out the following:

Requires new spark plugs and engine coils
Requires new Intake Air Duct Tubes & Breather Hoses
High Pressure Fuel Pump in Bank 2
Thermostat Assembly
New Oil Service
Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Pan Gaskets
New Battery
Cracked Rims

There is massive oil leaking in various areas of the vehicle and the mechanic has provided me with photographic evidence of all of this.

I bought the car for under $15k, but now I've been quoted about $10K in repairs. Does any of this stuff fall under the N63 Class action? Do I have any recourse with BMW to get some of these items taken care of under the Customer Care Package? My car has 96,000 miles on it, so would it be eligible for a full replacement? What would be my cost for that and what would BMW cover if it's eligible?

Also to any lawyers that may be reading this, do I have any recourse of legal action against the dealer? They sold me a vehicle that had numerous faults after advertising it was in excellent shape. They also cleared out all of the codes and sent me photos of the cleared ODB2 (less than 60 miles ago).

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Frankly in my opinion...Seems to me the lemon laws applies here. Give the car back to the dealership before even getting involved with trying to get the car sorted.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #39
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Frankly in my opinion...Seems to me the lemon laws applies here. Give the car back to the dealership before even getting involved with trying to get the car sorted.
Depending on the state, Lemon Laws usually only apply to the original purchaser.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #40
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
[COLOR="BLACK"][/COLOR]
Depending on the state, Lemon Laws usually only apply to the original purchaser.
Whoa that's cruel never knew that.Thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #41
elmasry17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5 50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogers710 View Post
Has anyone had their N63 engine replaced yet related to the class action suit? If so can you elaborate on cost and how the car is running since the replacement? Oil consumption?
I was qualified for engine replacement since i failed oil consumption test multiple times on Oct 3, 2018 so the dealer said they will replace the engine for me but i have to contribute 30% of the cost but my SA said they will give me a discount since im a loyal customer with them. So i agreed and they kept the car since Oct 3 and they gave me a loaner till they replace the engine. My SA emailed me yesterday Feb 8 2019 and said my engine just arrived and they will start working on my car on Monday Feb 11 2019 and that it will take a week to finish the job. So ill keep you guys posted and ill upload the service paper work to show everyone what exactly was done and what other associated parts was replaced. My SA told me that i will have my turbos replaced as well which i have some doubt. Does anyone know when engine is replaced they have to replace new turbos? Was that part of Bang class action lawsuit settlement agreement? Anyways ill keep you guys in the loop once i get my car back
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #42
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmasry17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brogers710 View Post
Has anyone had their N63 engine replaced yet related to the class action suit? If so can you elaborate on cost and how the car is running since the replacement? Oil consumption?
I was qualified for engine replacement since i failed oil consumption test multiple times on Oct 3, 2018 so the dealer said they will replace the engine for me but i have to contribute 30% of the cost but my SA said they will give me a discount since im a loyal customer with them. So i agreed and they kept the car since Oct 3 and they gave me a loaner till they replace the engine. My SA emailed me yesterday Feb 8 2019 and said my engine just arrived and they will start working on my car on Monday Feb 11 2019 and that it will take a week to finish the job. So ill keep you guys posted and ill upload the service paper work to show everyone what exactly was done and what other associated parts was replaced. My SA told me that i will have my turbos replaced as well which i have some doubt. Does anyone know when engine is replaced they have to replace new turbos? Was that part of Bang class action lawsuit settlement agreement? Anyways ill keep you guys in the loop once i get my car back
In my case my turbos were replaced along with all associated lines and gaskets. Though they chose to replace the valve guides instead of the whole engine for free. Took them 28 days.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:09 AM   #43
Cncjerry
Rep

I noticed there was another class action lawsuit filed by 7 owners out of Georgia on Nov 9, 2018. Oil consumption again, fully loaded with all the usual complaints, asking for jury trial, etc. It will take 2yrs minimum to get settled and by then my X6 will be 10yrs old. I had planned to keep it 15 or so, heck my Jeep made it to 21.

I started driving my X6 again after sitting for 2.5yrs. I had forgotten what a beast it is. If it wasn't for all the smoke, but then again that's the issue. I also noticed that BMW is in deep do-do with their diesel engines and compensating ECUs. I suspect the gas engines do the same because there's no way the N63 with a cloud of smoke coming out the tailpipe should pass emissions.

As a parting shot I filed with California Bureau of Auto Repair, California SMOG and I have my complaint typed so I can save some money with legal counsel. I am going to file myself if I can't attach to the Georgia complaint since their counsel has an office in San Francisco.

Anyway, this just goes to show you, the people with the money, in this case BMW, still set the rules. In my case they want 8,200 for my share of an engine. By my calculations, at that price the dealer is making money on the labor and BMW is making money on the engine. Whoever wrote the Bang settlement really blew it. They gave BMW complete control and actually a way to squeeze on average another 4-5k or so out of 84,000 pissed off owners.

Jerry
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #44
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cncjerry View Post
I noticed there was another class action lawsuit filed by 7 owners out of Georgia on Nov 9, 2018. Oil consumption again, fully loaded with all the usual complaints, asking for jury trial, etc. It will take 2yrs minimum to get settled and by then my X6 will be 10yrs old. I had planned to keep it 15 or so, heck my Jeep made it to 21.

I started driving my X6 again after sitting for 2.5yrs. I had forgotten what a beast it is. If it wasn't for all the smoke, but then again that's the issue. I also noticed that BMW is in deep do-do with their diesel engines and compensating ECUs. I suspect the gas engines do the same because there's no way the N63 with a cloud of smoke coming out the tailpipe should pass emissions.

As a parting shot I filed with California Bureau of Auto Repair, California SMOG and I have my complaint typed so I can save some money with legal counsel. I am going to file myself if I can't attach to the Georgia complaint since their counsel has an office in San Francisco.

Anyway, this just goes to show you, the people with the money, in this case BMW, still set the rules. In my case they want 8,200 for my share of an engine. By my calculations, at that price the dealer is making money on the labor and BMW is making money on the engine. Whoever wrote the Bang settlement really blew it. They gave BMW complete control and actually a way to squeeze on average another 4-5k or so out of 84,000 pissed off owners.

Jerry
I've been reading the same issue regarding the replacement engines based on the class action suit. Are customers being told that getting the valve guides replaced for free not a viable option as opposed to having to pay around $6k-$12k for an engine that retails for $4k?
Appreciate 0