2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK High spec 2014 535d with 67k miles - should I get BMW warranty?

06-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #23
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535d Touring 2014

I am now seriously reconsidering whether to trash my cheap warranty and bite the bullet and get the BMW comprehensive warranty for £1394 per year.

My main reservation is doubts over what is covered. This from the policy handbook.

Quote:
Comprehensive Component Cover
The maximum total claims liability covered by
the BMW Insured Warranty Comprehensive
Component Cover is the purchase price paid
for the insured vehicle, inclusive of VAT.
Your Comprehensive Component Cover
covers all factory fitted mechanical and
electrical components of the insured vehicle
with the exception of the following:
Battery, BMW i3 and BMW i8 high voltage and
auxiliary batteries, external connectivity
charging cables, external recharging station, all
exhaust components (except catalytic
converter), brake and clutch facings, discs and
drums, bulbs and fuses, channels and guides,
weather strips and seals, handles, hinges and
check straps, trim, upholstery and cosmetics
finishes, bodywork, paintwork, wheels and
tyres, wiper blades and arms, glass, auxiliary
drive belts, coolant and fuel hoses, the cleaning
or adjustment of any component, and all
service items which will require periodic
replacement. Please also refer to our policy on
wear and tear on page 19
Note that this excludes "handles" which is one of my 2 faults. Just noticed that whilst typing this Highland Pete has said he had 2 handles replaced under warranty. That is encouraging if slightly confusing.

It also says

Quote:
We will not pay for damage to parts not
covered by this warranty even if the damage
is caused by a covered part
and that corrosion is excluded. So not sure about the other fault either as its main cost is due to corrosion arising from a failed seal.

I am going to call BMW and get their view on this. I do NOT want to pay £1349 and still not be covered for any similar faults in the future.
      06-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendandthrow View Post
Note that this excludes "handles" which is one of my 2 faults. Just noticed that whilst typing this Highland Pete has said he had 2 handles replaced under warranty. That is encouraging if slightly confusing.

… and that corrosion is excluded. So not sure about the other fault either as its main cost is due to corrosion arising from a failed seal.

I am going to call BMW and get their view on this. I do NOT want to pay £1349 and still not be covered for any similar faults in the future.
Something like the comfort access door handle failure, is not a broken handle as such, but an electrical failure within the handle, so makes the comfort feature inactive, (or even worse). In my case caused a power drain, due to a short in the handle sensor. Required a recovery, authorised by BMW ES. Definitely covered, under the extended warranty.

I agree some issues within the extended warranty are a bit vague and confusing. I'm sure there are comments on consequential damage being covered in other clauses. I need to read through the T&C's again.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #25
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Pete, that makes sense and is reassuring. I have pretty much decided I will definitely buy the warranty at the end of the first year, when my cheap warranty ends.

My only decisions now are whether to bite the bullet and do it now as I am doubtful how comprehensive my comprehensive policy really is. For instance, it has a claim limit of £5k and limits labour rates to £70ph (which means I have to pay £30ph if I go to BMW) and specifies that exchanged or reconditioned parts may have to be used. I presume the BMW warranty will allow for new BMW parts to be used, and I think its claim limit is the value of the vehicle. It also does not cover damage caused by war, sonic booms or nuclear radiation; what kind of cover is that?

My other decision relates to BMW Emergency Services; given I am already in the AA (but only with a basic membership) is this worth paying another £105pa? Does it offer what it promises?
      06-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #26
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

I shall be putting the BMW extended warranty to the test next Friday - albeit on my Z4 35is. Started to leak oil so she's going in to be checked out. Probably the infamous DCT sump and gasket perish fault, a well known fault with the Z4 DCT gearbox. A very expensive fix as well - over £2000 at a main dealer, most of it for labour.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #27
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
I shall be putting the BMW extended warranty to the test next Friday - albeit on my Z4 35is. Started to leak oil so she's going in to be checked out. Probably the infamous DCT sump and gasket perish fault, a well known fault with the Z4 DCT gearbox. A very expensive fix as well - over £2000 at a main dealer, most of it for labour.
Good luck and I would appreciate an update. I called my BMW dealer today to get their view as to whether my faults would be covered. The guy I spoke to thought not. But TBH I got the impression he really had no idea. 'It seems to be a bit of a lottery. I wonder how much difference it makes if you are a long time customer?
      06-25-2019, 02:31 AM   #28
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good luck and I would appreciate an update. I called my BMW dealer today to get their view as to whether my faults would be covered. The guy I spoke to thought not. But TBH I got the impression he really had no idea. 'It seems to be a bit of a lottery. I wonder how much difference it makes if you are a long time customer?
Yes, I will let you know. If you google BMW warranty you will see that the general consensus is that it is very, very good and offers a very high level of cover. I will find out soon enough and other forums suggest the issue I have with the oil leak was covered on the BMW warranty. But as with any form of insurance (which is what the extended warranty is), they are always very adept at wriggling out of claims due to other reasons they could invent because I could hardly get under the car and check it myself; a "damaged" oil line for instance they could say. The earliest they can get my car in is next Friday.

Over 100k miles (I am on 49000) and you are on your own though and BMW will not offer the warranty to you any more. Which makes me doubt the long term viability of a complex car like a 535D with a ton of complex options over that mileage. You could easily get a bill that would be more than the car is worth. You are definitely in Indy territory then and would always have to be willing to write the car off if you have a major mechanical. And also suggests the used price could plummet over 100k miles.

My 535D is my car I do a lot of my - relatively light - business mileage in. I am hoping this car last another 5 years when i aim to retire early (at 56) when it will be at about that 100k mileage. it is a magnificent car I bought at 9 months old and I paid £36000 for it. It is still fantastic and I love it! Now, three years later, its list price is about £17000. So that's a lot of depreciation. However, the depreciation curve levels off. In another five years it will be worth £3-5000 or so. So you can see that, at that point, a major issue could mean a write off and my mindset would be that the car, at that age, would have given me eight years of super motoring - which is acceptable to me for the outlay of £36000 - especially since I get a £6500 a year (taxable) car allowance. I could trade in this car and spend another £20k of money added to the current car to get something newer (and in warranty). But that money will depreciate straight away to nothing in 3 years. Since the car is superb, better to spend a smaller sum keeping the car under BMW warranty.

Thought I would put my logic down so you can see if this applies to you guys.

Last edited by shiner; 06-25-2019 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
... I could trade in this car and spend another £20k of money added to the current car to get something newer (and in warranty). But that money will depreciate straight away to nothing in 3 years. Since the car is superb, better to spend a smaller sum keeping the car under BMW warranty.

Same dilemma for me, the extended warranty makes more financial sense than upgrading at present.

My car is at the garage at the moment, having two new rear VDC dampers fitted tomorrow under the extended warranty. Seen the price of the dampers, makes the cost of comprehensive cover worth it, no doubt at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #30
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Over 100k miles (I am on 49000) and you are on your own though and BMW will not offer the warranty to you any more. Which makes me doubt the long term viability of a complex car like a 535D with a ton of complex options over that mileage. You could easily get a bill that would be more than the car is worth. You are definitely in Indy territory then and would always have to be willing to write the car off if you have a major mechanical. And also suggests the used price could plummet over 100k miles.

My 535D is my car I do a lot of my - relatively light - business mileage in. I am hoping this car last another 5 years when i aim to retire early (at 56) when it will be at about that 100k mileage. it is a magnificent car I bought at 9 months old and I paid £36000 for it. It is still fantastic and I love it! Now, three years later, its list price is about £17000. So that's a lot of depreciation. However, the depreciation curve levels off. In another five years it will be worth £3-5000 or so. So you can see that, at that point, a major issue could mean a write off and my mindset would be that the car, at that age, would have given me eight years of super motoring - which is acceptable to me for the outlay of £36000 - especially since I get a £6500 a year (taxable) car allowance. I could trade in this car and spend another £20k of money added to the current car to get something newer (and in warranty). But that money will depreciate straight away to nothing in 3 years. Since the car is superb, better to spend a smaller sum keeping the car under BMW warranty.

I applied similar logic in deciding to get this 5 year old car for £19k rather than spend £35-40k for a 1-2 year old model. However, I am slightly regretting getting one with such high mileage now I fully understand the significance of passing 60k and 100k with respect to warranty cost and coverage. Hence this thread.

Regarding depreciation I just sold my old 9 year old 67k 530d SE for £9k having bought it for £15k 2 years earlier. So you may be being pessimistic with your estimates. However, a 100k version would definitely have been worth a lot less. So you might be right. And in 5 years I suspect few people will want a diesel due to regulations and the growing availability of EV cars and infrastructure. I certainly expect my next car (in about 5 years) to be electric.

So if I assume I can get £4k resale in 5 years then it will have cost me £3k per year. If I add the warranty cost of £1349 (£250 excess) plus say £550pa for non warranty work then my annual cost is £4900. So if I do get this warranty I might have been better off getting a newer car with manufacturers original warranty followed by cheaper insurance warranty (as below 60k miles) for a similar annual cost. Hence my question as to whether I really need it.

But the spec I wanted was hard to find so I felt I had to take what was available, even at this mileage. And I wanted it NOW
      06-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #31
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Same dilemma for me, the extended warranty makes more financial sense than upgrading at present.

My car is at the garage at the moment, having two new rear VDC dampers fitted tomorrow under the extended warranty. Seen the price of the dampers, makes the cost of comprehensive cover worth it, no doubt at all.
Would you mind saying what they would have cost? I think I have seen $750 each but not sure. Thanks
      06-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #32
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Would you mind saying what they would have cost? I think I have seen $750 each but not sure. Thanks
I've seen the BMW price to the dealer, still eye watering. For the paying customer, from prices I've seen for European supply, around £1,200 a pair before added bolts, etc., fitting, programming and VAT.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #33
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've seen the BMW price to the dealer, still eye watering. For the paying customer, from prices I've seen for European supply, around £1,200 a pair before added bolts, etc., fitting, programming and VAT.
It's a brave person that runs one of these without a warranty IMO, especially the higher specification ones with lots of expensive, electronic options.

For sure, some will pipe up and say they use a slush fund and if they don't have to claim then it's money in the bank. Sure. However, an issue on one of these cars can use up several year's worth of the slush fund pot at main dealer prices... A HUD failure? Gearbox issue? Cylinder head problem? Active suspension issue? All of these issues are in the £thousands to put right. And if you get two issues? Or get one early into the slush fund where there is not enough money yet in the pot to pay?

Each of us have to weigh the risk and balance it accordingly. I paid £850 or so with £100 excess. I am moving over to monthly payment next year.

EDIT: I'd also add that even if you take the car to an Indy to look after it for you, for sure they can fix a lot of issues. But other than general consumables like pads, disks, filters etc, most serious engine, gearbox and suspension parts still have to be bought from BMW and as HighlandPete says, the costs of the parts are eye-watering. I needed a Cam sensor on my old Z4. £160 + VAT just for the part, the size of a 50P piece. The other thing with Indy's, for some intermittent faults, they will try this, try that and try the other, all at your expense. With the BMW warranty? They can try away at their hearts content; the warranty company are paying. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited by shiner; 06-26-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #34
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Pete, that is what I feared.

Quote:
Each of us have to weigh the risk and balance it accordingly. I paid £850 or so with £100 excess. I am moving over to monthly payment next year.
At that price I would not even hesitate. Unfortunately due to my mileage being over 60k mine will cost £1349 with £250 excess (I think it is about £1800 with £100 excess). But I am pretty sure I will be going for it anyway as otherwise the nagging worry will prevent me enjoying my car. Especially as I have Adaptive Drive, IAS, HUD etc.

Are you going monthly because that fixes your premium even after you exceed 60k? If so that will save you a lot of money. Does the same apply when you pass 100k? ie could I go monthly just before passing 100k and thereby keep the warranty going?
      06-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #35
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Pete, that is what I feared.

At that price I would not even hesitate. Unfortunately due to my mileage being over 60k mine will cost £1349 with £250 excess (I think it is about £1800 with £100 excess). But I am pretty sure I will be going for it anyway as otherwise the nagging worry will prevent me enjoying my car. Especially as I have Adaptive Drive, IAS, HUD etc.

Are you going monthly because that fixes your premium even after you exceed 60k? If so that will save you a lot of money. Does the same apply when you pass 100k? ie could I go monthly just before passing 100k and thereby keep the warranty going?
Yes, exactly, that is why I am going monthly in November. I am currently at 48900 miles so could still pay for a year and go monthly next November (2020) because I doubt I will trip over 60k in the year. But I'd rather not risk it.

When you renew yearly you have to enter your mileage into the online tool. And if the car has been to a BMW dealer for service, it will not allow you to enter a mileage below that mileage they recorded. So there are some checks made. Then again, they charge you more to pay monthly -i.e. 12 x payments is about 10-15% higher than a one off payment. However, if you are on pay monthly then, certainly for the moment, they do not seem to charge you more when you go over the 60000 threshold, maybe that extra cost they deem covers it? I don't know. It's been like this for years and they don't seem to have changed it. Now, if you DO make a claim, whether or not they will then true you up to the >60k tier at that point I am not certain. I will know on my Z4 because that has tripped over 60000 and I am on pay monthly and it goes in next Friday so they will certainly record the mileage.

Regarding 100K then I'd imagine that if you go over 100k and present the car for a warranty repair they will turn it down. I am not sure. I'd be pissed off if I'd be paying for the warranty and they turned me down on that basis......

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #36
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I've just noticed our cars are virtually twins albeit mine is black and has 20k more miles.

Quote:
Now, if you DO make a claim, whether or not they will then true you up to the >60k tier at that point I am not certain. I will know on my Z4 because that has tripped over 60000 and I am on pay monthly and it goes in next Friday so they will certainly record the mileage.

Regarding 100K then I'd imagine that if you go over 100k and present the car for a warranty repair they will turn it down. I am not sure. I'd be pissed off if I'd be paying for the warranty and they turned me down on that basis......
I hope this does work out. If I do ever buy another internal combustion car I will definitely take this warranty issue into account.
      06-28-2019, 03:09 AM   #37
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, yours and mine are pretty much identical. They are superb cars. I love mine, solid as a rock and not a squeak or rattle and I can see no reason to swap this fantastic car for anything new. Sure, the newer Touring's internally look a bit more modern with their shiny displays etc but not enough for me to part with £20-£25000 + my car to get one. The novelty would wear off in a few days. I redid the alloys on mine, had it valeted, callipers sprayed, steering wheel refurbed and it looks the dog's danglers. Performance is mind blowing for such a big estate car.

I certainly will never buy another diesel, this is my last one for 100% certain. And I think we are all going to have to face the fact that around the world (ignoring Trump's US for now) governments of whatever colour, if they are to reach ever stiffer greenhouse gas targets, will start to tax the heck out of bigger cars like ours in the future. And, hand on heart, probably rightly so...... They have to change buying behaviours and they will do that via tax.

So we best ride the wave whilst we can in our 535s; we will all be in 1.6L hybrid petrol cars soon.

Last edited by shiner; 06-28-2019 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #38
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So we best ride the wave whilst we can in our 535s; we will all be in 1.6L hybrid petrol cars soon.
God I hope not! I had 4 years in a Toyota Prius 1.6l hybrid, and aged 10 years. It was so dull. I only got it because it was half the company car tax of the others available to me; a brand new car for about £1200 per year, which was hard to beat, and I naively thought it might be interesting. It was not.

Ironically I think its green credentials were a con. It only got about 45mpg and could only do 1.6 miles on battery power, and even then only if I stayed below 30mph and did not accelerate. It was basically a tax fiddle on wheels.

My BMW's have rejuvenated me. Although that may be offset by this new worry about maintenance costs. If you look on the main US forum (where I think there may be more views) I have just posted about a possible problem with my car; if you have any insight I would welcome your comments over there. The link is here.

As for all your other comments; ditto.
      07-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #39
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My car is in the shop now having the previously mentioned work done, plus an EGR replacement following a recall notice I got a few weeks ago. Apparently mine was OK so far as the recall fault was concerned, but whilst checking it they found a different fault with it. They are hopeful I won't have to pay, fingers crossed...

On a different note they have diagnosed slight oil leakage from my nearside front damper. Cost to replace per unit including VAT is £684. Would I need to do a pair or can I do just one?

And the guy I just spoke to, who did seem pretty knowledgeable, is certain this would NOT have been covered by the extended warranty. Not sure how it is different to Pete's case above. Fortunately, in his opinion it is not urgent and may take a long time to get serious. Fingers and toes now crossed that he is right...

He also said that fixing the wiring loom caused by water ingress would not have been covered either. So now I am again left wondering about that £1300 per year cost of the warranty...

On a happier note, the uneven stance I reported in a different thread seems to have been an illusion on my part, for which i am very relieved.
      07-31-2019, 03:54 AM   #40
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
On a different note they have diagnosed slight oil leakage from my nearside front damper. Cost to replace per unit including VAT is £684. Would I need to do a pair or can I do just one?

And the guy I just spoke to, who did seem pretty knowledgeable, is certain this would NOT have been covered by the extended warranty. Not sure how it is different to Pete's case above. Fortunately, in his opinion it is not urgent and may take a long time to get serious. Fingers and toes now crossed that he is right...
A leaking damper (possible MOT fail) should be covered under the comprehensive extended warranty. If less than 100k miles, replacement comes under the wear and tear clause.

For me, there was no need for debate. The damper was inspected, it was leaking, it was replaced under warranty. As BMW specify that dampers must be replaced in pairs if the mileage is over 80000kms, mine qualified at 56k miles. Therefore both replaced under the extended warranty. I simply paid the £100 excess.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #41
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Interesting discussion chaps... a similar dilemma for me with my company 330e which we are planning to buy from the lease company. Warranty is over £1000, but as a hybrid it's got even more bits to go wrong!

On the issue of what you do when your car is over 100k, there is a way round this. At the point of annual selection for your policy you can choose the monthly option, and this can continue indefinitely beyond 100000 miles, whereas you can't renew an annual policy once the car has gone beyond 100k miles. My 335d was therefore fully covered right up to when I sold it on 113k Miles.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #42
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A leaking damper (possible MOT fail) should be covered under the comprehensive extended warranty. If less than 100k miles, replacement comes under the wear and tear clause.
Pete - obviously it has worked for you, with your service department. I can only go on what my guy told me. He was positive it would NOT be covered. Seems like a bit of a post code lottery. Maybe being a long time customer has worked for you whereas I am a newcomer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

On the issue of what you do when your car is over 100k, there is a way round this. At the point of annual selection for your policy you can choose the monthly option, and this can continue indefinitely beyond 100000 miles, whereas you can't renew an annual policy once the car has gone beyond 100k miles. My 335d was therefore fully covered right up to when I sold it on 113k Miles.
I have heard of this approach, but I am not sure I have heard of anyone making a successful claim after their car passed 100k. Just because BMW take your money after 100k does not mean they will pay out. Does the small print actually explicitly allow this apparent loophole?
      08-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #43
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I reviewed the T&C and there was nothing to exclude it, and the wording only covered the mileage at policy inception.

I think if there no cover and they were taking your money then it would risk a mis-selling accusation, which seems unlikely given how many forms you need to complete just to not take their gap cover when you buy a car.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #44
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I reviewed the T&C and there was nothing to exclude it, and the wording only covered the mileage at policy inception.

I think if there no cover and they were taking your money then it would risk a mis-selling accusation, which seems unlikely given how many forms you need to complete just to not take their gap cover when you buy a car.
Ok thanks that is worth knowing if I still have my car at 100k.