2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions M sport replica front bumper install question.

09-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
M sport replica front bumper install question.

What else is needed with this to complete the install?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Tech-Spor...EAAOSwKDpbxXrA
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

That's a complete kit since it includes the support bracket
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja427.50
      09-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Nothing else for the front bumper. BUT, if you want a full M-sport conversion for the front, there's various air ducts that need to be changed out. The underbody tray is also slightly different, but afaik has no functional difference, it's just a two piece tray vs a one piece tray. There's threads out there where people list part numbers for the air ducts
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja427.50
      09-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Now to figure out paint pricing with prestige.
      09-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Nothing else for the front bumper. BUT, if you want a full M-sport conversion for the front, there's various air ducts that need to be changed out. The underbody tray is also slightly different, but afaik has no functional difference, it's just a two piece tray vs a one piece tray. There's threads out there where people list part numbers for the air ducts
Do you know if I dont get the air ducts right away will it cause any future issues?
      09-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Do you know if I dont get the air ducts right away will it cause any future issues?
If you have high speed package or hot climate version, you have an additional oil cooler behind the fog light grilles. I'm not sure which side it's on since I THINK they changed it for LCI and I have a LCI, but mine is on the passenger side. It's pretty easy to confirm which side it is on by taking a look inside the fog light grille area and looking for a radiator. I'm actually not 100% sure if the pre-LCI ones even had this option...

If you don't have either package, I'd just take a pass on the ducting. If you do have the cooler, I'd look into getting the ducting for at least the cooler, mine is kind of jank right now since I just took a dremel and opened up the original ducting... not elegant and I'm planning on getting the proper ducts.

The page for all the ducting you might or might not need:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_7940

Look for items with S715A=Yes

IMPORTANT:
Your kit DOES NOT include the M sport foam absorber. The non-msport one is too thick for the M Sport bumper. The one you need is either part number 51117903991 or 51117903993, I'm not really sure which one, you'll have to research that a little more.
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja427.50
      09-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
If you have high speed package or hot climate version, you have an additional oil cooler behind the fog light grilles. I'm not sure which side it's on since I THINK they changed it for LCI and I have a LCI, but mine is on the passenger side. It's pretty easy to confirm which side it is on by taking a look inside the fog light grille area and looking for a radiator. I'm actually not 100% sure if the pre-LCI ones even had this option...

If you don't have either package, I'd just take a pass on the ducting. If you do have the cooler, I'd look into getting the ducting for at least the cooler, mine is kind of jank right now since I just took a dremel and opened up the original ducting... not elegant and I'm planning on getting the proper ducts.

The page for all the ducting you might or might not need:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_7940

Look for items with S715A=Yes

IMPORTANT:
Your kit DOES NOT include the M sport foam absorber. The non-msport one is too thick for the M Sport bumper. The one you need is either part number 51117903991 or 51117903993, I'm not really sure which one, you'll have to research that a little more.
Thanks for that I will look more into it.
      09-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Thanks for that I will look more into it.
did you order the bumper already?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
did you order the bumper already?
Not yet, still looking into the air ducting. Plus I need to talk to Jim at prestige to see pricing on paint. Just so i have a base price for everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
My 2012 (pre-LCI) has a radiator of some sort behind the passenger-side fog light; it does have the S823A: Hotclimate version
Appreciate 1
Unspec1295.00
      10-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #11
highrevin
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

I just installed this same kit. There are some figment issues. It won't fit like oem so be prepared. A few holes don't line up for mounting. There is a gap around the headlights that weren't there before either. Dog lights will be a different side. The two bottom plates on the left and right will also need to be changed and didn't come with the kit. You can install with the old ones but you should get them at some point to make sure it's on there good.
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja427.50
      10-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrevin View Post
I just installed this same kit. There are some figment issues. It won't fit like oem so be prepared. A few holes don't line up for mounting. There is a gap around the headlights that weren't there before either. Dog lights will be a different side. The two bottom plates on the left and right will also need to be changed and didn't come with the kit. You can install with the old ones but you should get them at some point to make sure it's on there good.
Take it to an aftermarket body shop and have them install it. They can eliminate 99% of the fitment issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #13
highrevin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Take it to an aftermarket body shop and have them install it. They can eliminate 99% of the fitment issues.
I actually did do that. They did their best. wasn't some janky shop either.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #14
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I actually did do that. They did their best. wasn't some janky shop either.
Yea, I had the same thing. Unfortunately aftermarket parts don't have the best QC.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
highrevin
United_States
Rep

There more to it than that too. I order to avoid copyright issues they will change things to make sure they are no longer similar. It's not as perfect as oem, but I'm still pleased. For the price anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:17 PM   #16
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There more to it than that too. I order to avoid copyright issues they will change things to make sure they are no longer similar. It's not as perfect as oem, but I'm still pleased. For the price anyway.
One of these days I will have mine ordered its all on hold for now other things came up. As long as it looks good i dont care
      10-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #17
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Copyright isn't that easy to circumvent lol. If BMW really wanted to, they can sue them easily enough for just looking like their bumper design. Copyright also applies to likeliness of the object in question.

The reason the aftermarket parts don't fit well is because they're made in overseas factories (that don't give a damn about IP) that have jack all for quality control. So you'll often have parts that shrunk a little too much during the cooling process, went into degraded molds, etc. Not because they're worried about copyright.
Appreciate 0