2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 f10 M-Sport Paddle Shifters Issue

05-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
jklenke1
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535d

2014 f10 M-Sport Paddle Shifters Issue

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 2014 535d with M-Sport package (including sport steering wheel). It has paddle shifters, but they don't work. I am assuming that they were not retrofitted since the wiring within the steering wheel is buttoned up nicely. I only noticed the issue when I was going through coding options in Bimmercode. In the app the steering wheel module has a red dot (as opposed to green or yellow) and says "coding data is invalid". Can't enter the module either. What options might I have to get them to work? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Does your shifter look like the one on the left, or on the right? The paddle shifters came with the Sport Automatic Transmission (on the left), though I think in 2014 the SAT became standard instead of optional, so the paddles should work (or need to be fixed). If you have the shifter on the right, then the original owner added them.
Attached Images

2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:47 PM   #3
jklenke1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
Does your shifter look like the one on the left, or on the right? The paddle shifters came with the Sport Automatic Transmission (on the left), though I think in 2014 the SAT became standard instead of optional, so the paddles should work (or need to be fixed). If you have the shifter on the right, then the original owner added them.
Definitely have the one on the left. SAT was already enabled as well when I went through coding modules in Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

If you just bought, does your car have a warranty? They're original equipment, so they should work!
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklenke1 View Post
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 2014 535d with M-Sport package (including sport steering wheel). It has paddle shifters, but they don't work. I am assuming that they were not retrofitted since the wiring within the steering wheel is buttoned up nicely. I only noticed the issue when I was going through coding options in Bimmercode. In the app the steering wheel module has a red dot (as opposed to green or yellow) and says "coding data is invalid". Can't enter the module either. What options might I have to get them to work? Thank you!
Quote:
Definitely have the one on the left. SAT was already enabled as well when I went through coding modules in Bimmercode.
Doesn't mean the SAT (and shifter and steering wheel) wasn't added later; I did on our 2012. There was no wiring required, just a steering wheel swap (I did have to do some airbag surgery). In order to get the paddles to work I had to code a couple of modules. You may have to go into "expert mode" to do the complete coding. I don't remember what I coded (it was about 4 years ago), but they should be able to help in the coding section. The only way to know for sure if your came stock with the SAT (was an option even with the M-Sport package) is to run your VIN through a VIN decoder. If SAT and the paddles were stock, then there is a problem with the paddles.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #6
jklenke1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't mean the SAT (and shifter and steering wheel) wasn't added later; I did on our 2012. There was no wiring required, just a steering wheel swap (I did have to do some airbag surgery). In order to get the paddles to work I had to code a couple of modules. You may have to go into "expert mode" to do the complete coding. I don't remember what I coded (it was about 4 years ago), but they should be able to help in the coding section. The only way to know for sure if your came stock with the SAT (was an option even with the M-Sport package) is to run your VIN through a VIN decoder. If SAT and the paddles were stock, then there is a problem with the paddles.
Thank you for your suggestions with this. I did decode the VIN and SAT was an option that was listed. I am not able to enter the steering wheel module in Bimmercode at all so unfortunately not able to enter Expert Mode.

So you think that the paddles themselves might be faulty? I got a couple of interesting faults when I ran the car through Bimmerlink app. Haven't really been able to pinpoint what they mean yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions with this. I did decode the VIN and SAT was an option that was listed. I am not able to enter the steering wheel module in Bimmercode at all so unfortunately not able to enter Expert Mode.

So you think that the paddles themselves might be faulty? I got a couple of interesting faults when I ran the car through Bimmerlink app. Haven't really been able to pinpoint what they mean yet.
You need Expert Mode under the main module, not the steering wheel section.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #8
jklenke1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:

You need Expert Mode under the main module, not the steering wheel section.
Oh gotcha, which one is the main module?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh gotcha, which one is the main module?
I don't remember, though you should be able to get that info in the coding section. Give me a bit and I'll look around.

edit:

Here's some bedtime reading. You may have to do it through ESys (or have someone do it for you if you're not program-inclined)...

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...addle+shifters

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...addle+shifters

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...hifters&page=4

Last edited by ezaircon4jc; 05-11-2020 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
ItalianSushi
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

I am planning on doing a paddle shifter retrofit on my 2015 535i. Thanks for the info as this will likely help if I make the change.
Appreciate 0