2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Purchase Advise - 550xi vs Audi S6

08-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #67
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Understeer is a common problem when the front wheel is powered. Audi is doing a pretty good job with this issue. Technologies like the rear sport diff. and the 40/60 AWD bias have help with understeer quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #68
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I came into this topic because I saw a 2013 550 xi yesterday at a friend's shop. He had a friend come in with one and they put it on the lift to install a CF front lip and paint the calipers black. I'll post pics in a few minutes.

Car looked awesome.

I left before seeing the work done so I'll see if my friend has the "after" pics if anyone cares to see them.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #69
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

Lust for Audi but went with BMW...

Not sure where you are geographically nor what your hot buttons are.
I test drove an S4 extensively, since an S6 was not available.
Even if it were, I'd think I'd be shy on the budget since a reasonably equipped one is in the high $70's and by the time you add a similar maintenance program (100% for 3yrs/50K) you'd be mid $80's.
If budget is not a consideration and you need excellent smart 4 wheel drive MOST of the time, then yes, wait for the S6.
If you don't need a large car but an understated, underrated compact sedan, try the MY2012 (actually a 2013) S4. It has it ALL:
-Great sounding exhaust.
-Non Runflat Tires,
-On the fly suspension tuning (get the sport differential).
-Dual clutch sport auto.
-Sport program (launch mode plus automatic throttle blip on downshift).
The S4 is rated at only 330HP but feels, sounds, and drives like much more.
As mentioned, the car is subtle, understated...pull up next to any 335i and punch it. You'll blow the small bimmer away. The supercharger sends the car off with the right sounds and feel.
The S6, I suspect, is the same but only more (HP that is). It should pull away from a 550i and make an M5 owner think hmmmm.
But, I still chose my 550i because I needed the extra room, don't mind a luxury sedan, and don't street race much at all. The S4 or the S6's underated sportiness would be wasted on me, most of the time. I live in drive in So Cal where the roads hardly call for 4WD. That's the rub.
Lastly, BMW is a know entity for me. My 5th and I know about the little inconveniences and minor surprises. Oh yeah, the run flats suck. And, mainstream Bimmers have lost their soul (except the M cars). But, I know what I'm getting for the reasons I did. I lust for the S6/S4 but I love my 550i.
The Audi, from all that I read, may be a reliability and resale problem much WORSE than BMW. And, If you live in a small town with a high strung performance car, think about the availability or competence for service when need.
Bottom line, if I were 20 years younger, care free, and wanted to drive a sport sedan in Hunt and Kill mode MOST of the time, the S6 or even the S4.
Just my 2 cents...good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #70
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
This debate has been going on for decades. The answer remains the same.

08-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #71
bcbarker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i F10 M-sport

I'd go BMW

It's more reliable, cooler, way more potential, and a better class..
Over all though it's up to you.. But I personally would never get an Audi other then a R8 V10 or RS5 ... BMW wins with everything else...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #72
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
Well said Clarkson Precisely what I think as well. Go 550Xi.
      08-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #73
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Avoid forum bias. Ask people in Germany or Japan who won the war...

Get the best for you.

Extended test drive, dealer proximity, general feeling from sales/service - there are hundreds of variables.

Price, features and beauty are the deciding factors most of the time. No one can tell you what you like or infer your definition of "value".

BMW CCA # 493835
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #74
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_S5 View Post
I seriously don't feel a need for an 4WD/AWD vehicle even though you live in the North.
Probably one of the most retarded and mindless opening statements I've ever read.

"I seriously don't find a need to own a gun living in the ghetto"

"I seriously don't find a need for a college degree"

"I seriously don't find a need to wear warm clothing in freezing temperatures"

It's 2012 - the arguments against quattro and other AWD systems have mostly been neutralized.

I own a 535i (RWD) - but opening with your comment is asinine.

BMW CCA # 493835
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #75
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
Probably one of the most retarded and mindless opening statements I've ever read.

"I seriously don't find a need to own a gun living in the ghetto"

"I seriously don't find a need for a college degree"

"I seriously don't find a need to wear warm clothing in freezing temperatures"

It's 2012 - the arguments against quattro and other AWD systems have mostly been neutralized.

I own a 535i (RWD) - but opening with your comment is asinine.
You need serious help man. Honestly I wanted to pretend I didn't see this post but when you quote my name I gotta reply. Are you too bored or you just want some unrest in the forum? If so you can start a new thread instead of hijacking this one or next time try taking my name out of the quote so I can really pretend I didn't see it.

What you are saying is that every car should be equipped with AWD but x drive is only available is selected countries and it's still an option in the North.

So you own some cars with AWD, then good for you, it doesn't necessarily mean that AWD is a must, try driving cars without it, it's just as fun.

I have never been to the ghetto but I don't think everyone there have a gun or feel the need to own one and most of the research and study say having the gun is what gets you kill in the first place. Also, most of the family or school shooting in America you see occurs because of firearms in their own homes. Maybe you sir, can tell us about the experience in the ghetto.

As for the college degree, we can think of a few people who make it big and are college drop outs ie. Mark Zuckerberg so do we really need a college degree, not necessary.

Your last statement is like saying that we don't need water to survive. You are comparing the necessity of life with owning a car? Seriously we don't need a car to survive never mind AWD or not.

Arguments for AWD or not should be neutralize, just as with all the articles on any car mags we see, it's for the reader to decide what is good for them. Some feel they need AWD, some feel they don't, end of story.

I really don't know what college have taught you but you are definitely right, there's no need for a college degree as I don't see any improvements to your good self or our society when someone can make a comment like this on a forum. It certainly doesn't cure childishness or help raise the intellect of an individual.

Real asinine is how you put it.

I don't like getting personal but when you come at me like this I just gotta get the facts straight.
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i

Last edited by AC_S5; 09-02-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #76
preeble
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 Vert

OK - after much deliberation and waiting, I finally took delivery of my 2013 550 x-drive last night with the added benefit of Dinan S2! I wanted x-drive because i thought it would better harness the 500hp off the line and this will be my DD and I regularly tote my children to school (I will be getting winter tires as well).

My first impression is WOW - the car has an incredible amount of power! I can't wait to drive it like it stole it. The HUD is really cool, but I need to get it coded to display more. I also want to get a couple of other things coded (like not having to pull the door handle twice to exit), so if there is anyone knowledgeable around the Lehigh Valley area that would be willing to help, I would be grateful.

The iDrive is going to take some getting used to - it appears to be much more complex (for no reason) than what I am coming from (the latest generation of the Porsche PCM). For example, it is very stupid that iDrive disables bluetooth audio when you plug in your iphone. The seats are the most comfortable seats I've sat in.

To confirm what others have said, the xdrive cars with msport come with the dreaded Goodyear runflats. I will be swapping the wheels/tires this weekend with a staggered set with summer tires. On my way home from the dealer last night, I did hit some potholes - while I normally try to avoid them, hitting some over the course of driving is inevitable. One thing I noticed is that this car doesn't seem to take potholes too well as the whole car shuttered when I drove over it - even my 997 takes them better. Perhaps that is a reason why we have so many bubbling issues. The last car I owned that had habitual bubbling issues was my wife's A4 from the late 90s (with Continental tires).

Thanks all for your insights and opinions. I'm very excited to have this car - she's a beast. Here's a couple of pics I snapped before the sun went down last night.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #77
bcbarker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i F10 M-sport

You've picked the right car !!! 550 will not let you down.. And the potential in that car is unimaginable... !!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #78
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
very cool, enjoy!
      09-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #79
JRubin13
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i/2012 F10 535i

I think you are asking a very biased crowd honestly. Its all up to you. I vote BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #80
JRubin13
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i/2012 F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRubin13 View Post
I think you are asking a very biased crowd honestly. Its all up to you. I vote BMW.
Didnt see you bought the car. You made the right choice! congrats
Appreciate 0