2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Invicta?

10-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #23
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

[QUOTE=csu87;20668258]Many of the Rados use a lower grade ETA movement with 21600bph. Better watches can be had for the same price with a better movement IMO

The New original XL has an ETA movement but it's actually a 28800 bph and a decent movement ( I believe it's the ETA 2824-2). Used, these watches will sell under $500 and at that price point I truly believe it is a bargain.

M
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #24
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Invictas are fine watches for the money. They don't feel/look cheap as some have said, at least their "homage" style watches don't. Those follow a recipe and actually look really good. Their gold plating wears off pretty quickly so I would stick to stainless steel in the high-contact areas. Also the lume sucks if you get one with lume. But their Japanese automatic movements are solid. Their newer 24-jewel Japanese movement is excellent, or for a little more money you can get into one with a Swiss movement but at that point you're spending more than what the "charm" of the Invicta is worth.

What is the "charm" of an Invicta PINeely? I'll tell you, Bimmerpost user. They're dirt cheap and tend to copy more established styles from well-known brands. If you're thinking about a watch that costs thousands but you're not sure if you'll like it long term, buy an Invicta that looks like it and wear it around for a bit. Or maybe you're traveling and want a GMT function but you don't want to spend a ton of money on a watch you are only going to wear a few times (but you don't want a total POS either). Or maybe you just want a little diversity in your collection, a watch to match a certain item of clothing/ accessory, a beater to wear when conditions don't favor something nicer, etc. etc.

Now, all of this comes with a big caveat: Invicta's product is fine. Invicta as a company is GARBAGE. Some have mentioned their cute little "discount" marketing tactic. They are also department store whores; they sell their product to the smaller stores at first for, let's say, $100 each. But when the product is no longer moving well they get impatient and sell the whole line to Belk or Dillards for $50 each, thus screwing the mom and pops... same with the ones you see on Amazon. Worst of all, their customer support is DOG SHIT. I've only used it once for a couple of replacement links but if you ever have a problem with their watches, good luck. They're right up there with Comcast in the customer service department.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #25
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
What is the "charm" of an Invicta PINeely? I'll tell you, Bimmerpost user.
Best thing I've read all day.
      10-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #26
Skaufma0
Riding the Thin Blue Line
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
What is the "charm" of an Invicta PINeely? I'll tell you, Bimmerpost user.
Thank you Sir, you made my night!

So basically the consensus is that for the money they're an alright watch (in the way of a cheap, neat-looking watch) as long as you don't expect much. As far as an investment stay away and save for something like a Seiko. I appreciate everybody's advice and opinions on it.

I know with my career I'll never be able to afford an AP or Breitling, or even a Tag, but I can dream can't I?
      10-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #27
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaufma0 View Post
Thank you Sir, you made my night!

So basically the consensus is that for the money they're an alright watch (in the way of a cheap, neat-looking watch) as long as you don't expect much. As far as an investment stay away and save for something like a Seiko. I appreciate everybody's advice and opinions on it.

I know with my career I'll never be able to afford an AP or Breitling, or even a Tag, but I can dream can't I?
You don't like Casio G-Shock?
Grande Seiko are the only Seiko's that would be an investment as far as reliable long term ownership, just an opinion.

Bloomberg online has a good watch section, there was one article on very affordable but still pricy watches that have a following

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...en-watch-snobs

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-...und-watch-fair
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #28
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've got a Casio G-Shock for work just because it takes a beating. But I don't like wearing it off-duty, it's just too big and clunky, and IMHO not very attractive.
      10-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #29
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE

Garage List
I purchased a Reserve Sub Aqua Noma I a couple of years ago, the thing is a beast, very heavy and seems well built. Haven't had any issues with it at all. It keeps time...

I have a 20 year old Seiko but don't care much for it since its an automatic, I like to wear different watches, don't like resetting the time after it sat on my dresser for a week!

I really like my Citizen Pro-master dive watch. It was the last one they made with an orange dial. Their customer service is excellent btw... I lost the cover to the depth sensor, they replaced the band for free when I sent it in for repairs. Had it back in 2 wks.
      10-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #30
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smokehouse View Post
I really like my Citizen Pro-master dive watch. It was the last one they made with an orange dial. Their customer service is excellent btw... I lost the cover to the depth sensor, they replaced the band for free when I sent it in for repairs. Had it back in 2 wks.
That's good to know. For some reason I have a mental block for Citizen and just keep forgetting to even look at them.
      10-27-2016, 06:32 AM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smokehouse View Post
I purchased a Reserve Sub Aqua Noma I a couple of years ago, the thing is a beast, very heavy and seems well built. Haven't had any issues with it at all. It keeps time...

I have a 20 year old Seiko but don't care much for it since its an automatic, I like to wear different watches, don't like resetting the time after it sat on my dresser for a week!

You can get a watch winder for automatics so you don't have to constantly reset the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #32
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's good to know. For some reason I have a mental block for Citizen and just keep forgetting to even look at them.
Not sure if for sale yet, but the new $6000 Citizen Eco Drive One, looks extremely nice, a piece that would interesting to see in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #33
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Not sure if for sale yet, but the new $6000 Citizen Eco Drive One, looks extremely nice, a piece that would interesting to see in person.
I'm curious, but at the same time if I'm gonna spend that kind of money I'd go for a Rolex Submariner.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #34
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

The $6000 price tag for the Eco Drive One is only for the limited edition version that has a gold and silver case as I think only 800 or so of them are going to be made. The other versions of the Eco Drive One are carrying a retail price of $2500.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #35
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious, but at the same time if I'm gonna spend that kind of money I'd go for a Rolex Submariner.
Yeah, for 6000 I'd go after a IWC Aquatimer.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #36
Skaufma0
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Yeah, for 6000 I'd go after a IWC Aquatimer.
That'd be another one worth looking at.

For now I'm trying to stay as low as possible, around or less then 500.