2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum EDC adaptive dampers

11-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #1
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

So posting here as the F10/11 group likely has a lot more experience with EDC variable damper faults.

No 1 issue is the system doesn't throw faults in ISTA unless it actually disconnected which is madness. Seems this is an ongoing issue and the main reason I will never spec Variable dampers again as yes it's nice to use but if it's impossible to ID a fault it's 1000s to make a repair.

I had a bad VDP (EDC controller) and changed it which seem to have at least brought the system to life. Before that only 1 shock was receiving current at 6ma the front left.

I also swapped my front left damper and cables BEFORE fixing the VDP.

But I'm still feeling as though the system has a fault.

The front left is receiving 3ma and all other 2ma at standstill.

Now I read that the max current should be 2ma or a damper can get damaged so I'm concerned my replacement damper was also damaged by the 6ma before I replaced the VDP and this is why it's still getting 3ma.

I also feel the rear left is too hard possibly being caused by incorrect signals from the front left which is receiving the 3ma.

I read the system send signals from corner to corner so perhaps my front left is bad and affecting rear left.

Also the car is unstable in the rear, feels like one shock is hard and one soft around town so car shakes right to left when hitting a imperfection on the rear left shock.

Any idea or experiences from F10/11 drivers would be much appreciated as the G30 is so new very few experience issue and even fewer have VDP and the knowledge to understand or ID what's happening.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 10:54 PM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Ride height adjustment must always be performed after removal or exchange of the ride height sensor or attachment rod of the ride height sensor and after renewing the control unit for the vertical dynamic platform (VDP)

1 – Carry out ride height adjustment
– Connect diagnosis system.
– Switch the ignition on.
– Carry out ride height calibration.
– – Service function
– – Chassis and suspension
– – VDP
– – Ride height adjustment

2 – Reset the RDC
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks did that when I swapped both the shock and the VDP module.

It's definitely an electronic or bad shock issue.

Just wondering what current should be going to the shocks max, guessing the front left is damaged with higher resistance and that's affecting the overall system function as it think that shock is set to comfort but it's even softer.

Hence ride height feedback is all wrong and other shocks are over compensating for minor road imperfections.

QUOTE=M_Bimmer;28280075]Ride height adjustment must always be performed after removal or exchange of the ride height sensor or attachment rod of the ride height sensor and after renewing the control unit for the vertical dynamic platform (VDP)

1 – Carry out ride height adjustment
– Connect diagnosis system.
– Switch the ignition on.
– Carry out ride height calibration.
– – Service function
– – Chassis and suspension
– – VDP
– – Ride height adjustment

2 – Reset the RDC[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #4
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

My dampers are completely confused.

Sorry about quality but if you watch in slow motion as I announce each impact especially in comfort modes near end of the video the reaction on tiny imperfections is a huge over reaction.

I'm talking about man hole covers on brand new surfaces that throw the car around. They hardly protrude more than 5mm and I'm doing under 25km.

Seems the system is sending opposite signals that it should so instead of softening the rear right when front right hits a tiny imperfection to prepare it is hardening it. It should be softening the impact side and hardening the opposite side on the same axle to reduce push over.

This explains my rear lateral instability in town.

Higher amps = harder shocks.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:05 PM   #5
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

The following service functions are available:

1. Data memory: The data memory in the VDP control unit regarding the air suspension is deleted.
2. Pressure sensor: Function check of the pressure sensor.
3. Pressure accumulator: Filling and draining of the pressure accumulator.
4. Vehicle level: The following levels can be set: low, normal, high.
5. Ride height adjustment: Start-up of the ride height sensors.
6. Ride height sensors: Function check of the ride height sensors.
7. Compressor cycle: Function check of the compressor.
8: Air spring: Filling and draining of the individual air suspension struts.
9. Status values: Output of all system-related status values such as pressures and ride height.
10. Delete transport mode: Reset the transport mode.
11. Vertical-acceleration sensors: Function check of the vertical acceleration sensors

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 11-22-2021 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #6
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks but most of those don't apply to a 5 series saloon only a 7 series has air suspension.

I setup the ride height and deactivated transport mode etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 03:30 PM   #7
GerwinB
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Hi @cnsky

I have the same issue with my F11. The dampers are completely confused. Can you tell me what you did to solve the issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #8
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Please have a look at my previous posts, I have a full description of what I did and solved it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #9
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Feel free to PM me also
Appreciate 0