2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Headlight, Tailight and Reverse Light Issues

11-27-2021, 08:26 PM   #1
Daniel N55
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i xDrive

Headlight, Tailight and Reverse Light Issues

Hello everyone. I own a 2013 535i xDrive and needed some assistance in diagnosing an issue I have been encountering.

A few months ago, the car started having errors all in relation to Daytime Running Lights, Reverse Lights, and also the Left Turn Signal. At random times while driving, they would show up in iDrive.

Error #1 - Left turn signal malfunction
This error would show up, then I'd hear the warning ring. After it showed up, any time I tried turning on the left turn signal, it would start flashing very quickly. Every time this error would show, I would also get a "Daytime Running Lights" error.

Error #2 - Reverse lamp malfunction
This error would show up, then I'd hear the warning ring. After it showed up, every time I went into reverse, the left reverse light would not turn on.

Issue? #3 - High beams randomly turning on
I thought I'd include this as this was also an issue with the lights on the left side of the car. When I put my headlights on "Auto Mode" before starting the car, the left high beams would randomly turn on.

Does anyone know what is causing these issues, and if they are even related? (these issues are on and off)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 08:24 AM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is hard to tell without a diagnostic tool like ISTA or some kind of BMW specific scan tool. The errors will give us an idea what could be wrong.

My guess is the left turn signal and daytime light errors are related to a seal that went bad and is allowing moisture to come in and short out your module.

Reverse light, the bulb may be bad. Swap the right to the left side to confirm.

The inner light of your car are not high beams. They are your cornering lights. When your steering wheel is turned to the left or right at zero or low speed, it will come on. If your right side does not come on, it may be bad.
Appreciate 0