2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos New Top Gear! This years Christmas Special heads to India

12-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

New Top Gear! This years Christmas Special heads to India

A keenly priced Mini, Roller and Jag. In India. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Torrents:

SD 624x352
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

720p HD 1280x720
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Trailers:

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

love these guys xD
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

i have to say this was their worst special... i mean worst as in not as interesting/entertaining as bolivia or vietnam or polar or middle east. it seemed like it was put together in a rush.

but it was nice to see how insane india is like...

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

i thought it was hilarious
      12-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep

it felt like Clarkson got little carried away. i never felt that way towards his mockery and jokes but this time with the whole "party" idea and fireworks... yea. i think james was being annoyed honestly and it wasn't just for the show.

overall still the best TG out there. but i think this show kinda showed that the guys could use a 4th person as a host now.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Did anyone spot the E92 M3 in the Delhi with black rims? There were some amazing cars (458, lp560) amongst that collection.

Loved the episode, although yes, it wasn't their best.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
I enjoyed the episode!

Can't wait for more!
      12-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy817 View Post
i have to say this was their worst special... i mean worst as in not as interesting/entertaining as bolivia or vietnam or polar or middle east. it seemed like it was put together in a rush.

but it was nice to see how insane india is like...
Ya, I'd have to agree. I was bored half the time, and all the "accidents" are too obviously planned and arent funny anymore. Its too easy to predict what's going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
i fell asleep half way through. pretty boring/disappointing.

will watch the rest tomorrow.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
RingBredE90
DTMRacer
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330I

Top Gear is getting a little too predictable, they are just trying too hard. Everything is so staged and they get carried away like krnboy817 said. Its not funny any more, just plain stupid. This show is becoming less and less to do with cars. They need to go back to their roots, ASAP.
      12-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingBredE90 View Post
Top Gear is getting a little too predictable, they are just trying too hard. Everything is so staged and they get carried away like krnboy817 said. Its not funny any more, just plain stupid. This show is becoming less and less to do with cars. They need to go back to their roots, ASAP.

someone else on another forum mentioned that richard spilling all that food wasnt such a nice gesture especially in front of the very people that might of been their meal in a country filled with hunger and poverty. its also sad to see countries like this that majority of the population rides on a over packed trains while others drive around in a M3... even modified with CF trunk like the show pictured.

dont get me wrong im not much of a humanitarian and believe that there will always be the poor and the rich, but just dont think its something a popular automotive television show should depict.

i think TG should of made a show based on how cheap and resourceful petrol/gas/fuel would be if 1,170,938,000+ people of india just disappeared... or the 1,338,299,500+ popluation of china... you know something that most enthusiast probably think about in back of their minds every time price rises at the pump.

but anyways... im just disappointed that there was no desert crossings or worlds most dangerous roads to be conquered or drive on ice to the pole. its something i cant just do. but if i wanted to i can always drive in india if i wanted to.

Last edited by krnboy817; 12-30-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Definitely the weakest special, but still more entertaining than 90% of television these days
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
RingBredE90
DTMRacer
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
Definitely the weakest special, but still more entertaining than 90% of television these days
So True!
      12-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
I concur...but enjoyed it nevertheless!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

someone else on another forum mentioned that richard spilling all that food wasnt such a nice gesture especially in front of the very people that might of been their meal in a country filled with hunger and poverty. its also sad to see countries like this that majority of the population rides on a over packed trains while others drive around in a M3... even modified with CF trunk like the show pictured.

dont get me wrong im not much of a humanitarian and believe that there will always be the poor and the rich, but just dont think its something a popular automotive television show should depict.

i think TG should of made a show based on how cheap and resourceful petrol/gas/fuel would be if 1,170,938,000+ people of india just disappeared... or the 1,338,299,500+ popluation of china... you know something that most enthusiast probably think about in back of their minds every time price rises at the pump.

but anyways... im just disappointed that there was no desert crossings or worlds most dangerous roads to be conquered or drive on ice to the pole. its something i cant just do. but if i wanted to i can always drive in india if i wanted to.
This is a pretty silly post, considering that most of those food boxes (tiffins) are being delivered to middle-class working men in a major metropolitan city. I think you neglect the fact that Mumbai is much like New York, where the majority of people do NOT own cars thanks to the insane road congestion and cost of ownership, which is MUCH higher than owning a vehicle in the United States. The registration fee ALONE for a new BMW 325i is approximately $15-20k, not to mention import fees, taxes, etc. Overpacked trains does not equate to impoverished people - I know many who take trains or buses in mumbai, and they are certainly not living in the streets. Congestion is just a way of life in India.

It's like saying that you shouldn't be driving around in a 335i when there are homeless people living on the streets in American cities, or people living off of food stamps in Dallas.

I'll stop here, but it really irritates me when people cast a 'holier-than-thou' attitude on developing nations and the contrast between rich and poor, when their own nations suffer from the same exact issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #16
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
This is a pretty silly post, considering that most of those food boxes (tiffins) are being delivered to middle-class working men in a major metropolitan city. I think you neglect the fact that Mumbai is much like New York, where the majority of people do NOT own cars thanks to the insane road congestion and cost of ownership, which is MUCH higher than owning a vehicle in the United States. The registration fee ALONE for a new BMW 325i is approximately $15-20k, not to mention import fees, taxes, etc. Overpacked trains does not equate to impoverished people - I know many who take trains or buses in mumbai, and they are certainly not living in the streets. Congestion is just a way of life in India.

It's like saying that you shouldn't be driving around in a 335i when there are homeless people living on the streets in American cities, or people living off of food stamps in Dallas.

I'll stop here, but it really irritates me when people cast a 'holier-than-thou' attitude on developing nations and the contrast between rich and poor, when their own nations suffer from the same exact issues.
please compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. but if your ignorance insists it is the standard of living that was being commented on... obviously india and other developing countries do not have the same level of "standard of living" as we do. like i have said, there will always be the poor and the rich anywhere you go its the way it is as long as you live in this world. but lets be honest the average population in india does not compare to the average population here. its a fact... specially between the population of NYC and Mumbai like you compare to.

its just another fact and not a "holier-than-thou". and if you read with out being biast, i was actually making a point that TG depicted the very topic you are talking about... or came close to depicting that image.

but since you went ahead, stuck your head out and thought NYC and Mumbai is the same... if TG was true about the facts, do you really think you can get fresh home cooked lunch, whether in a can or a box for a month for only $4 bucks here, especially in NYC? come on now... no one would even carry me up a block on their back for $4 bucks.

and most indian population dont have cars because they cannot own one. plus infrastructure to own one isn't there either for the MAJORITY of the POPULATION yet. why? because like you have said your self, its a developing country, which was the same way in the 60s-70s for korea and japan... 40s-50s for the rest of the western world. oh and its congested because its over populated... you guys have 17.31% of the world's population in an under-developed country no wonder its congested. its obvious.

if your pride didnt get in the way you would see the facts too and accepted them with some intellect . and you shouldn't disgrace what you have now by comparing to what is obviously not comparable... people did and still give/sacrifice their lives for the "standard of OUR living" that you seem to take for-granted with your comment.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #17
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
please compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. but if your ignorance insists it is the standard of living that was being commented on... obviously india and other developing countries do not have the same level of "standard of living" as we do. like i have said, there will always be the poor and the rich anywhere you go its the way it is as long as you live in this world. but lets be honest the average population in india does not compare to the average population here. its a fact... specially between the population of NYC and Mumbai like you compare to.

its just another fact and not a "holier-than-thou". and if you read with out being biast, i was actually making a point that TG depicted the very topic you are talking about... or came close to depicting that image.

but since you went ahead, stuck your head out and thought NYC and Mumbai is the same... if TG was true about the facts, do you really think you can get fresh home cooked lunch, whether in a can or a box for a month for only $4 bucks here, especially in NYC? come on now... no one would even carry me up a block on their back for $4 bucks.

and most indian population dont have cars because they cannot own one. plus infrastructure to own one isn't there either for the MAJORITY of the POPULATION yet. why? because like you have said your self, its a developing country, which was the same way in the 60s-70s for korea and japan... 40s-50s for the rest of the western world. oh and its congested because its over populated... you guys have 17.31% of the world's population in an under-developed country no wonder its congested. its obvious.

if your pride didnt get in the way you would see the facts too and accepted them with some intellect . and you shouldn't disgrace what you have now by comparing to what is obviously not comparable... people did and still give/sacrifice their lives for the "standard of OUR living" that you seem to take for-granted with your comment.
I never ONCE said that the standard of living in India compares to the United States. However, I strongly objected to your comments that Top Gear should play up the plight of the average Indian, and that spilling food on the road was not acceptable in a less-wealthy country. It was obviously made in good humor, something that Indians have a sense of (but apparently, you don't). However, you clearly did not read my statement carefully, so please go back and read it again.

As for comparing New York to Mumbai...I think you need to understand what an analogy is. Otherwise, this conversation is moot. It appears you have never been to New York City, or at least never ventured outside the safe zones of southern Manhattan. If you had visited the ghettos of the Bronx or eastern BK, you would see an incredible inequality in wealth and standard of living between, say, the Upper East Side and South Bronx. So why are you chastising Indians for driving M3s in cities where there is poverty, while Top Gear drove around Brooklyn and Manhattan in a 458, SLS and a GT3 RS, at a time when millions of Americans were (and still are) unemployed? Why don't you go and protest against people like yourself, who drive around in 335i's while working-class Americans cannot find employment and struggle to make their ends meet?

And stating that Top Gear should promote genocide ("i think TG should of made a show based on how cheap and resourceful petrol/gas/fuel would be if 1,170,938,000+ people of india just disappeared... or the 1,338,299,500+ popluation of china") is inflammatory and simply ludicrous. It also illustrates your complete ignorance; if you had the slightest modicum of knowledge, you would know that the United States consumes almost 25% of the world's petroleum products, while India, a nation almost four times the population, consumes a fraction of that.

I realize that you will most likely go on and post some nonsensical, rambling retort after I post this, but such incredible levels of intolerance from other forum members drives me crazy. Hopefully this was educational for the other forum members, at the least.

Last edited by Echo M3; 01-02-2012 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #18
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
I think you neglect the fact that Mumbai is much like New York, where the majority of people do NOT own cars thanks to the insane road congestion and cost of ownership,
again, even if it is an analogy, NYC and Mumbai cannot be compared. if you like i will wiki the facts for you.

Quote:
which is MUCH higher than owning a vehicle in the United States.
well of course just by looking at the local social economics would tell you that.

Quote:
Overpacked trains does not equate to impoverished people - I know many who take trains or buses in mumbai, and they are certainly not living in the streets. Congestion is just a way of life in India.
ok i can see 7 train and F N R Q 4 5 6 lines getting overpacked... but perhaps india doesnt see that as needed infrastructure improvements. its just the way of life.

Quote:
I'll stop here, but it really irritates me when people cast a 'holier-than-thou' attitude on developing nations and the contrast between rich and poor,
well im sorry that india just decided to be a tad bit slower in developing than the rest of the world... dont get irritated, you also dont live their either and its not your problem. dont tell me you drive a BMW and also is a good samaritan.

Quote:
when their own nations suffer from the same exact issues.
dont see us having same EXACT issues as india... or you and i wouldnt be driving a BMW.

Quote:
And stating that Top Gear should promote genocide ("i think TG should of made a show based on how cheap and resourceful petrol/gas/fuel would be if 1,170,938,000+ people of india just disappeared... or the 1,338,299,500+ popluation of china") is inflammatory and simply ludicrous.
its an idea, if TG was watched since james was a new comer on the show you would also know that one of the characters of TG UK was to have a ridiculous, out of the box, unorthodox, pushing the envelope, irrelevant but good to make sense of topics as their show. but obviously that didnt get across... or perhaps your not much of a fan of the show...

Quote:
if you had the slightest modicum of knowledge, you would know that the United States consumes almost 25% of the world's petroleum products, while India, a nation almost four times the population, consumes a fraction of that.
if you had the slightest clue on commerce/trade/marketing, you would know that india is the next automotive market in 5-10 yrs (the TG special also lets you know that btw). why do you think TATA started to exist? and think of what all those indians driving TATA with... gas. and i really do not understand you having problem with U.S. consumption, youre using it too and have been and will continue to.... and not like it if you dont have it. and its too bad that india is still stuck mostly in early 1900 era trying to catch up now when most of the world is in 21st century and moving along faster and faster. if you have problem with 25% U.S. consumption, well should of started early india.

Quote:
I realize that you will most likely go on and post some nonsensical, rambling retort after I post this, but such incredible levels of intolerance from other forum members drives me crazy. Hopefully this was educational for the other forum members, at the least.
yes and im glad you see your self very well. try to be patriotic as well to where you live and flurish next time. especially when you know that not everyone just by being here in the U.S. gets to do that as well.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
jdmkutz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Top Gear had a xmas special. Oh I need to DL this tonight!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #20
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

I love TG but the other posters are rights, way too staged (Hammond's food spill for example). Virtually nothing is spontaneous and the inicidents are pre-written in for a cheap laugh.

Hopefully series 18 isn't more of the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Gear_Fan View Post
Ya, I'd have to agree. I was bored half the time, and all the "accidents" are too obviously planned and arent funny anymore. Its too easy to predict what's going to happen.
Sadly have to agree with you. I didn't get the same enjoyment out of watching this special as I have the others. It was still good to watch and I am looking forward to them coming back on the air.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

TG has been scripted for a while, just watch a few episodes over the past several years and you'll see, nothing new to report. Although this years Christmas special was not as good as previous ones it's still enjoyable to watch. What makes TG is the cars they get, usually exotic ones no one else ever reviews with video and the clowning around they do. Yeah, a lot of it is predictable and cheesy at times but it's still entertaining nonetheless and no other car show out there comes even close.
Appreciate 0