2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Turbo boost pipe

07-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
Jcole9656
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Turbo boost pipe

Anyone changed the boost pipe to intercooler? Difficulty? Worth it? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

You're talking about the turbo to intercooler pipe right? It's perfectly fine for stock turbo. Only reason to upgrade is if you go PS2
Appreciate 2
Dtex535101.00
      07-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

fairly easy.
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
You're talking about the turbo to intercooler pipe right? It's perfectly fine for stock turbo. Only reason to upgrade is if you go PS2
that would be the pipe on the left side of the engine bay right? was planning on getting this done next year mod list when i do the tuning. so if i'm not doing PS2 it's basically a waste? when i was in there doing the dp i felt that Intercooler pipe was seeing a lot of heat that in the long term just like the cp may prone to cracking? plus it would look really pretty in there
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

A shop here told me to keep it stock, that they see more problems with aftermarket pipes than oem. I haven't seen anything about this being a weak link, even with upgraded turbo. Doesn't mean it wouldn't look perdy though 😊
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
Jcole9656
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
that would be the pipe on the left side of the engine bay right? was planning on getting this done next year mod list when i do the tuning. so if i'm not doing PS2 it's basically a waste? when i was in there doing the dp i felt that Intercooler pipe was seeing a lot of heat that in the long term just like the cp may prone to cracking? plus it would look really pretty in there
Quote:
Quote:
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Correct. It would look sweet. But is it necessary or does it increase any performance by changing the turbo boost pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, that's the lower charge pipe. Goes from intercooler to upper charge pipe (the one 99% of people replace), and upper charge pipe goes to throttle body. I assumed OP was asking about the turbo to intercooler pipe (turbo outlet pipe), which is on the passenger side of the vehicle. Him calling the lower charge pipe a turbo boost pipe is... confusing.

But yea, both lower charge pipe and the turbo outlet pipe are fine on stock turbo. The reason the upper charge pipe fails is due to the sensor introducing a weak point. The lower charge pipe has no such weak point.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:39 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
No, that's the lower charge pipe. Goes from intercooler to upper charge pipe (the one 99% of people replace), and upper charge pipe goes to throttle body. I assumed OP was asking about the turbo to intercooler pipe (turbo outlet pipe), which is on the passenger side of the vehicle. Him calling the lower charge pipe a turbo boost pipe is... confusing.

But yea, both lower charge pipe and the turbo outlet pipe are fine on stock turbo. The reason the upper charge pipe fails is due to the sensor introducing a weak point. The lower charge pipe has no such weak point.
i dunno bro i think this is the pipe you're referring to. i know this because from under the car drivers side has the red flexible tubing when i put the IC the other day. the passenger side felt like a long pipe that goes up. this picture is what you get when you order the complete charge pipe kit. let me find it

edit: so here's the kit

i could be wrong tho?? i'll have to do more research

here's the link to the LIC which to me has to be the left side piping. unless this is the right side pipe but in one piece? fack i don't know lol

here's the description:
Retains factory style o-ring lock flange. Precision CNC machined flange ensures leak free connection to the turbocharger and intercooler. Quick and easy connection and disconnection. Ideal connection compared to the silicone hose and hose clamp connection found in all other aftermarket charge pipe upgrades available in the marketplace.
https://x-ph.com/evolution-racewerks...arge-pipe-lic/
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 08-02-2020 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i dunno bro i think this is the pipe you're referring to. i know this because from under the car drivers side has the red flexible tubing when i put the IC the other day. the passenger side felt like a long pipe that goes up. this picture is what you get when you order the complete charge pipe kit. let me find it

edit: so here's the kit

i could be wrong tho?? i'll have to do more research

here's the link to the LIC which to me has to be the left side piping. unless this is the right side pipe but in one piece? fack i don't know lol

here's the description:
Retains factory style o-ring lock flange. Precision CNC machined flange ensures leak free connection to the turbocharger and intercooler. Quick and easy connection and disconnection. Ideal connection compared to the silicone hose and hose clamp connection found in all other aftermarket charge pipe upgrades available in the marketplace.
https://x-ph.com/evolution-racewerks...arge-pipe-lic/
Sorry, I'm confused. The picture in your post that I initially replied to was a picture of a lower charge pipe. The driver side charge pipe is split into two pipes, a lower and an upper. The lower goes from the intercooler to the upper, then the upper goes to the throttle body. That link you posted for the Evolution Racewerks is the lower charge pipe that goes on the driver side, you are correct.

The pictures you are now linking are the turbo outlet pipes, yes. I don't know if they're supposed to be called charge pipes or not, but I call them turbo outlet pipes because it's more clear, and it's pretty descriptive of what they are. OP is a bit ambiguous as to which pipe he is referring to, since he just called it "turbo boost pipe" which is not really indicative of which pipe, so I just assumed he was talking about the turbo outlet pipe.

How to tell the difference: The turbo outlet you can draw a straight line through from inlet to outlet. The lower charge pipe you cannot, and looks more like a periscope.
Appreciate 1