2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Tension Struts/Trailing Arms

02-08-2024, 08:12 AM   #1
BoccaFew
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i xDrive

Garage List
Tension Struts/Trailing Arms

Took my car in for an oil change and they gave me the report under "Overall Inspection Report" in the link below. He mentioned Trailing Arms and Tension Struts, but then mentioned only Tension Strut replacement. Can anyone tell by the video if I need to replace the Trailing Arms as well, buy the bushing set and replace those, or not worry about them at all? I understand that I won't really know what's up till I get it torn down. Just looking for some insight as to whether I should replace all just on GP. 138,000 miles on the vehicle with nothing ever done on the suspension.

https://c.xtime.com/ksz4Mh7V9gwA1DqFXX#/
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 10:06 AM   #2
Conserve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1976 BMW 2002 & 2015 BMW535i

I saw the video. Tension struts are must as he explained why, etc. Did not hear him saying anything about trailing arms. But given you milage and 'while in there' may not be a bad idea to replace them all. My question is would you have to disassemble tension struts when wanting replace trailing arms? If so, then you will go thru expense of changing hardware on tension struts, etc. and probably another alignment cost. Therefore I will do it all together and not worry for another 100K miles. I did not like the color of steering fluid and would probably change the reservoir same time flushing the fluid.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 03:04 PM   #3
Duck70
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Tension struts have much more wear as it basically controls the front to back stabilization of your wheel. The trailing arm doesn't have a much wear as it does not see as much force as the tension strut. Imo unless its noticeably cracked or leaking, its probably fine.

When a shop replaces any of these suspension components that contain a rubber bushing, they need to torque the bolts down at ride height, this process would added labor if you decided to not do both the tension strut and trailing arm at the same time. Also for any suspension changes you should get an alignment, so doing them separately would be two alignments.

Two paths imo:

-Get the Turner motorsport monoball tension strut and have a indy shop replace it. This removes the rubber bushing and instead uses a metal bearing. This gives the car a much more 'driving on rails' feeling. F10 OEM bushings are softer to cater to the clientele that would be buying these cars new. This gives it more a much more sporty ride. I am installing these on my car this weekend.

-Do both the OEM Tension strut and trailing arm at the BMW dealership. You will probably save about $200 in labor hours and $300 in alignment as opposed to doing them seperate.
Appreciate 0