2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 520d N47 engine goes off when it is cold

12-12-2019, 01:01 AM   #1
ibiza230
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d f10

F10 520d N47 engine goes off when it is cold

Hi everyone on the forum!
i have BMW 520d, 2012., automatic gearbox, engine code N47, 225000km.
Anoying problem which i have is that when the engine is cold, in the morning, i start it it turns on nicely, but as soon as i put in the drive or reverse to get out of the parking lot it turns off - as the engine has no power to go(it is not start-stop system, not so dummy ). I turn it back on again nicely, it goes off again. When the engine temperature starts to rise from zero, then it stops turning off, but then it takes 3-4sec to start the engine. When engine is totally cold it starts in a split of a second.
And this happens until the engine reaches 100 degrees operating temperature and then has no problem, works fine all day long-starts engine fine, does not turn off itself.
The next day, in the morning, behavior again the same.
When the belt is removed from the alternator, in that case it does not shut down.
There are no any errors on the diagnostics.
Nozzles checked, gearbox, alternator, everything works fine. The DC-DC converter has been replaced-old was faulty, new battery instaled and still behaves the same.
Does anyone have any idea where to start-what to check, replace?
Thanks to everyone in advance for the suggestions
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 06:24 AM   #2
Alex_b
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10 520d

Hi

Did you manage to find the fault, mines just started doing something similar. The car is very sluggish when cold and keeps dropping power until upto operating temps
Appreciate 0