2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum HUD
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
tim-atl
N00B
tim-atl's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2010 X5 35d + 2011 528i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to tim-atl
HUD

Does anyone else find that big gaping hole in top of the dash distracting? Every time I think "maybe I'll get the HUD" I look at that gigantic crater and change my mind. I don't think I could handle seeing that every time I walked up to my 5.

You can kind of see it in this picture.


Tim
Attached Images
 

Last edited by tim-atl; 05-24-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
grasso06
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2008 528i, 2011 535i (ordered)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

That bothers you that much? You'd give up the convenience for a minor eyesore? Of all of the extraneous features that I added to my 5... the HUD is by far my favorite and most useful!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
enigma01
Fight On!
enigma01's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: M3 e93/e92, Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasso06 View Post
That bothers you that much? You'd give up the convenience for a minor eyesore? Of all of the extraneous features that I added to my 5... the HUD is by far my favorite and most useful!

Are you that lazy to look down 2 inches to see your instrument panel? So, what's the next useful option? The heated steering wheel?

And please don't start the safety argument. There is no credible study showing that the HUD somehow makes someone a safer driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Major General
2446
Rep
9,639
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
Are you that lazy to look down 2 inches to see your instrument panel? So, what's the next useful option? The heated steering wheel?

And please don't start the safety argument. There is no credible study showing that the HUD somehow makes someone a safer driver.
From your negative comments, I take it you haven't driven a motor with HUD?

To me it is one of those things that is just so right. OK, we can get by without, but HUD is not a gimmick.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
docbeemer's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
306
Posts

Drives: E92 SG 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

We have no choice in Australia. ALL models being sold here have HUD as standard. I'd rather have the adaptive drive option (ie flat cornering) as standard....
__________________
335i | 6MT | SG | Jade Grey | Poplar Grain Grey | 19" 230 rims | Sunroof | NAV with TV & voice control | HiFi | Sport Suspension | Rear Sunblind | 35% tints
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
BMW-GT
Enlisted Member
BMW-GT's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 5.0i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Had HUD on my last BMW. Nice but will not get it again until they find a fix for the HUD not being visible with polarized sunglasses on.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
tim-atl
N00B
tim-atl's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2010 X5 35d + 2011 528i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to tim-atl
I wasn't implying it was a gimmick.

That hole is quite an eyesore, maybe I'll change my mind when I see it in person.

Tim
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
pharding
Captain
United_States
94
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: '17 540i x+ '14 X3 28i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

I had HUD on my last two E60's. I like it a lot. Nothing beats the visual convenience of critical information on the windsheild. It is not a big deal to use non-polarized drivng sunglasses. The opening in the dash is more refined on the F10.
__________________
17 540i x
14 X3
Retired: 14 550i Euro Del; 11 550i Euro Del; 08 550i Euro Del; 06 330i Euro Del; 04 545i Euro Del; 01 530i Euro Del
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
snkpkp
Enlisted Member
Bangladesh
4
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW E60 530i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangladesh

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to snkpkp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-atl View Post
Does anyone else find that big gaping hole in top of the dash distracting? Every time I think "maybe I'll get the HUD" I look at that gigantic crater and change my mind. I don't think I could handle seeing that every time I walked up to my 5.

You can kind of see it in this picture.


Tim
Had in my E60, Would get it again, not as useful for me , but I like the gadget
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
delvek
Major
delvek's Avatar
Germany
26
Rep
1,137
Posts

Drives: 2014 550i Msport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Dont care much for the HUD, seemed distracting and found myself turning it off when I test drove or had loaners with it.
__________________
2014 550i M-sport
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
car_fan
Captain
car_fan's Avatar
100
Rep
962
Posts

Drives: 2012 F12 650cic / 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (0)

Unless you have your seat adjusted to the highest position, you will not notice the HUD system looking straight on from the drivers seat. I can't speak on the effectiveness or lack thereof in previous models, but the current version is very useful IMHO. Especially with the graphical display for the NAV system being displayed via HUD as well.

Looking at the top of the dash from the exterior of the car is another story, as of course the HUD system is noticeable. However, if you are satisfied with the functionality and purpose the system serves it wont bother you.
__________________
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty/Continental Extreme DW
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF Mirror caps (retired)
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Yokohama Advan Sport A/S
2018 X3 M40i Sapphire Black/Oyster
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
grasso06
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2008 528i, 2011 535i (ordered)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
Are you that lazy to look down 2 inches to see your instrument panel? So, what's the next useful option? The heated steering wheel?

And please don't start the safety argument. There is no credible study showing that the HUD somehow makes someone a safer driver.
Safety, well yes, actually...
I don't believe there have been studies EITHER way, for or against. So you're argument isn't necessarily sound. But I must say...if you use the navi a lot, then you're never looking over at the screen and trying to read shit; everything is right in front of you. Also convenience is a main factor. Don't criticize until you've experienced it!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #13
enigma01
Fight On!
enigma01's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: M3 e93/e92, Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasso06 View Post
Safety, well yes, actually...
I don't believe there have been studies EITHER way, for or against. So you're argument isn't necessarily sound. But I must say...if you use the navi a lot, then you're never looking over at the screen and trying to read shit; everything is right in front of you. Also convenience is a main factor. Don't criticize until you've experienced it!
You assume too much, sir. I took an M5 (with HUD) out for a long test drive, and it wasn't very useful.

While I won't disagree that it is somewhat useful to a certain group of people (those not wearing polarized sunglasses to start with), I need to question those who claim it's the MOST useful feature.

So, if there is no study either way, I need to conclude that the one with HUD is not necessarily any safer than the one without it. So, your safety argument doesn't hold any water?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 02:56 AM   #14
enigma01
Fight On!
enigma01's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: M3 e93/e92, Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
From your negative comments, I take it you haven't driven a motor with HUD?

To me it is one of those things that is just so right. OK, we can get by without, but HUD is not a gimmick.

HighlandPete
I don't think I follow your logic. If I don't consider a feature very useful, I must not have experienced it? If I bashed the automatic gearbox on BMWs, are you going to tell me I must have never driven an automatic vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #15
grasso06
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2008 528i, 2011 535i (ordered)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
You assume too much, sir. I took an M5 (with HUD) out for a long test drive, and it wasn't very useful.

While I won't disagree that it is somewhat useful to a certain group of people (those not wearing polarized sunglasses to start with), I need to question those who claim it's the MOST useful feature.

So, if there is no study either way, I need to conclude that the one with HUD is not necessarily any safer than the one without it. So, your safety argument doesn't hold any water?
Abrasive are we!?!

Well, taking my quote out of context doesn't necessarily help your argument either. I said that of all of MY selected extraneous features, it was MY favorite and most useful addition. To specify, it is more so than lane departure, blind spot, night vision, etc. IN MY OPINION, just to clarify again.

This post has veered too far from the initial poster's question. So to return to that: I (my opinion) believe that the eyesore of the HUD is outweighed by its benefit. It's usefulness, however, really depends on your opinion via trying it out in person and a cost/benefit analysis.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #16
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
2614
Rep
6,494
Posts

Drives: LBB M2+MPE
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands/ Lilyhammer, Norway

iTrader: (0)

In a F10 it's an expensive option.
In a F16 it comes standard.
__________________
Ghe sparemo.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
delvek
Major
delvek's Avatar
Germany
26
Rep
1,137
Posts

Drives: 2014 550i Msport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

@ Robinhood ... nice post only pissed I didnt think of it!
__________________
2014 550i M-sport
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #18
tim-atl
N00B
tim-atl's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2010 X5 35d + 2011 528i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to tim-atl
Saw one today in person. It didn't look as bad as I expected and since I'm a gadget person I'll probably end up with it.

Thanks for the input and sorry for the drama.

Tim
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #19
grasso06
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2008 528i, 2011 535i (ordered)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Btw Tim,

I test drove the 2011 535i today w/o the HUD and there is still a minor indentation in the dashboard where the HUD goes. It's obviously not a void where the projector is, but u can definitely tell where they cut out the dash for the HUD.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST