2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes New ACS Springs.. or are they?

09-14-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
Chims
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

New ACS Springs.. or are they?

Hi Guys,

I just received a new set of ACS springs ordered from a forum sponsor. Was really excited until I noticed two things:

1.) The springs looked like they had been used before. There's a scuff down to the metal on one of the springs, and the other looks like something heavy was banging on it.

2.) There was no rubber sleeve attached to the springs, which I've read about and I thought that every new set of springs came with. Now, I can go to home depot and get this myself or whatever, but I'm wondering whether I've been duped to some extent. What do you think?

I haven't included the sponsors name yet, since I need to reach out to them still. Really want to throw these on my car, but wondering about whether I got what I paid for

Here's a link to the pics:
View post on imgur.com

Thanks, -Chims
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Haha...they look like they are returned springs that probably was installed but whoever had them didn't like them and sent them back. U can tell by the marks u pointed out and IMHO they look like they repainted them and boxed them as new. I would call whoever u purchased them from and bring it up. I think once springs have been installed and returned deemed USED! I would ask for a discount!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
+1 discount

They're used.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:17 PM   #4
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chims View Post
Hi Guys,

I just received a new set of ACS springs ordered from a forum sponsor. Was really excited until I noticed two things:

1.) The springs looked like they had been used before. There's a scuff down to the metal on one of the springs, and the other looks like something heavy was banging on it.

2.) There was no rubber sleeve attached to the springs, which I've read about and I thought that every new set of springs came with. Now, I can go to home depot and get this myself or whatever, but I'm wondering whether I've been duped to some extent. What do you think?

I haven't included the sponsors name yet, since I need to reach out to them still. Really want to throw these on my car, but wondering about whether I got what I paid for

Here's a link to the pics:
View post on imgur.com

Thanks, -Chims

My ACS Springs were smooth, without scuff marks when they came in. Those look like they were already installed and removed. BTW, I paid $550 for mine brand new.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:58 PM   #5
Chims
United_States
Rep

Appreciate your opinions guys. I am confident that at least two of the springs were installed before. The thing is, the rubber sleeves are missing. I thought that the factory in Germany shipped the springs with sleeves for the past two or so years. So I am thinking that these are also a bit old, not that it matters, but it does make matters a bit worse. The vendor is checking with ACS, since they're supposedly shipped directly from Germany, and also looking into shipping me a set of sleeves. I'm inquiring about a post sale discount.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Good luck on that! But I would be pissed knowing I paid full price for new springs when they sent u used springs
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

yup, looks like they were in a spring compressor already
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
Keyser Soze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Quote:
Appreciate your opinions guys. I am confident that at least two of the springs were installed before. The thing is, the rubber sleeves are missing. I thought that the factory in Germany shipped the springs with sleeves for the past two or so years. So I am thinking that these are also a bit old, not that it matters, but it does make matters a bit worse. The vendor is checking with ACS, since they're supposedly shipped directly from Germany, and also looking into shipping me a set of sleeves. I'm inquiring about a post sale discount.
The first few years didn't include the sleeve so we were fabricating them using clear tubing from Home Depot. It's an easy DIY if you want to hang on to them.

I'd just send them the pics and ask for a 35% discount via a refund. They were probably on a test mule or something.
      09-25-2015, 01:10 AM   #9
Chims
United_States
Rep

Here's an update:

I was told that these springs have been redesigned and no longer require a rubber sleeve. Apparently this is a "NEW Evolution Spring kit".

The distributor passed me along to ACS's regional sales manager who then passed me along to someone else at ACS (who never replied to me directly). They're now asking me to ship the springs to LA and haven't replied to me in a few days. I'm fairly annoyed, since I planned a windy road trip through the redwoods up north with my wife in a few weeks up on Northern California, specifically to test out the new springs.

I've just sent a message asking for them to cut to the chase and just offer a discount. If the springs were used once, they should be fine. However, I'm not paying the "new" price for a used set of springs.

Last edited by Chims; 09-25-2015 at 01:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #10
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chims
Here's an update:

I was told that these springs have been redesigned and no longer require a rubber sleeve. Apparently this is a "NEW Evolution Spring kit".

The distributor passed me along to ACS's regional sales manager who then passed me along to someone else at ACS (who never replied to me directly). They're now asking me to ship the springs to LA and haven't replied to me in a few days. I'm fairly annoyed, since I planned a windy road trip through the redwoods up north with my wife in a few weeks up on Northern California, specifically to test out the new springs.

I've just sent a message asking for them to cut to the chase and just offer a discount. If the springs were used once, they should be fine. However, I'm not paying the "new" price for a used set of springs.
Bummer. Let me know who this distributor is. I plan on buying ACS springs myself and would appreciate avoiding such a debacle.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

sounds like you're getting the run around
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #12
Chims
United_States
Rep

Update: I received a $100 credit on October 7th, after buying on Sept 2nd, and complaining a few days later. $100 was a fair amount to me, since only the front 2 appeared to be marred. Really it was just cosmetic, but NEW is NEW.

Basically, someone in Germany probably tested out the springs, and likely sent them out. This appeared to be a very abnormal thing, so neither 3W or ACS was well prepared to deal with it.

3W paid the credit at German Tuning Corporation's request, no questions asked.

All in all, I would buy from 3W distributing again. This was just my bad luck and fussiness.

The most important thing to note here is that ACS springs no longer include the rubber sleeve, since apparently they've been reengineered. I'll update this thread in case I end up hearing noises, but otherwise, assume all is well. Thanks community for listening to my woes, as usual :-)
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: I received a $100 credit on October 7th, after buying on Sept 2nd, and complaining a few days later. $100 was a fair amount to me, since only the front 2 appeared to be marred. Really it was just cosmetic, but NEW is NEW.

Basically, someone in Germany probably tested out the springs, and likely sent them out. This appeared to be a very abnormal thing, so neither 3W or ACS was well prepared to deal with it.

3W paid the credit at German Tuning Corporation's request, no questions asked.

All in all, I would buy from 3W distributing again. This was just my bad luck and fussiness.

The most important thing to note here is that ACS springs no longer include the rubber sleeve, since apparently they've been reengineered. I'll update this thread in case I end up hearing noises, but otherwise, assume all is well. Thanks community for listening to my woes, as usual :-)
totally good stuff to hear! i really thought you were gonna get the run around! but shoot $100 credit, NICE! you have pictures to post of the springs installed yet?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 06:25 AM   #14
Roswell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Good to hear u got a credit for this trouble.

I just bought my ACS this past springtime & they still had the rubber sleeves.. I'm surprised they changed the design that fast? Hope all works out once installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
Chims
United_States
Rep

Here's a link to the before pics:
View post on imgur.com

I just dropped off my car at a local euro shop that charges $170 per hour :-(

I wanted to have the best possible service done. These guys are killing me, but I know it's quality work and I wanted to get it done before this weekend.

Total cost will be $870 for the install. I had a place that was willing to do it for 110/hr, but they took forever to get lined up.

Before & After pics.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #16
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chims
Here's a link to the before pics:
View post on imgur.com

I just dropped off my car at a local euro shop that charges $170 per hour :-(

I wanted to have the best possible service done. These guys are killing me, but I know it's quality work and I wanted to get it done before this weekend.

Total cost will be $870 for the install. I had a place that was willing to do it for 110/hr, but they took forever to get lined up.

Before & After pics.
Holy crap 800 bucks to install springs ? You have Dhp or any suspension package like that ? I have base model suspension, was quoted $100 for spring install on my 550
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #17
Chims
United_States
Rep

I don't have DHP. It's $360 for the springs (was $460) and $510 for the install. I could of had them installed for ~$330 if I wanted a few weeks or took it to a shop I didn't feel as good about, so I'm paying about $180 premium, give or take some.

Part of the issue, is that I don't want to wait any longer and can't drive far. The other thing is that I only want a shop that I trust handling my car. This is a really good shop that has 5 stars and has been around since the 70's. I am already thinking of looking elsewhere though...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #18
Chims
United_States
Rep

Before / After Pics:
View post on imgur.com

It's so subtle that I'm left wondering if it was worth it. Can't wait to drive it on the open road and find out! The springs will probably need some time to settle. The good news, is this is my wifes daily driver, so I doubt she will notice.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #19
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

whoa! you paid $870 for a 1/2" drop?! i'm looking at your pictures and like you mentioned it's a very SUBTLE drop...i would have went with some H&R's. it'll probably handle a little bit better now that you have the new springs but i think in the end you're probably gonna end up wanting to go a little bit lower.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #20
Chims
United_States
Rep

As some have said before - these are the springs that should have come with the car as OE. After driving it tonight, I'm pretty happy with it. The car feels more stable when turning sharply or maneuvering around obstacles. The greatest thing is the lack of bounciness, the ride is firmer, but not hard or rough. This is a great spring rate - noticeably less nose drive when braking.

It's hard to know if I'm making it up but I am nearly sure that I can feel the slightly lower center of gravity that almost makes me want to adjust my seat settings and get used to slightly different view. I'm probably just trying to justify the difference though.

My other car is extremely low and I've spent many years worrying about speed bumps, and low driveways etc. I think this is just right, since my wife doesn't like to think about that stuff, and more shock travel is better. Any lower and I'd have to worry about scraping curbs when parking etc. It's just right for a daily driver and weekend cruiser.

I'm satisfied, but my ass is still sore after being raped by the auto shop. I'm going to have to find a mid-peninsula that fellow 5post members recommend.

Final note, if I were concerned about perfecting the look, I'd probably want to install ~15mm spacers on the rears, since this makes the wheels sit inside the wheel well.

Appreciate everyones input and support!

Last edited by Chims; 10-28-2015 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:50 AM   #21
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #22
Roswell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Give it some times, like 500 miles & the springs will settle lower. Mine is low now.
Appreciate 0