2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Looking for a good Indy shop

09-11-2017, 05:08 AM   #1
Silent_308
Knees in the Breeze
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10

Looking for a good Indy shop

I'm fed up with my local dealer and don't any good Indy shops for BMW. I'm in the MD/VA/DC area, does anyone have a good shop I can go to? I'm getting conflicting issues from my local dealer. Last week Thursday I got the "drive train malfunction " indicator. Just so there was a BMW Indy shop down the road I was on. They were closing but scanned my vehicle to see what the issue was; they said misfire cylinder 3 more than likely I need a new coil and plug. Since they were closing I limped home.

Friday, I bring it over to my local dealer; of course no loaners, 3hrs later my SA calls and says misfire cylinder 2, suggests replacing all coils and plugs for $1300. I refused and asked for just the one I needed, (I can replace the coils and plugs myself... way less than $1300). 2hrs later, my SA calls back to only to tell me that replacing the coil in cylinder 2 didn't fix the issue and now I need 2 injectors replaced, plus the coil on cylinder 3 is cracked.. for $1800. I refused this work as it's different from what the Indy stated. I asked how it was possible for the tech to misdiagnose or not know it needed an injector before replacing the coil in a cylinder that wasn't reporting a fault, as it was #3 not #2, that has the misfire.

Now the dealership wants me to pay for the coil and plug they replaced, that 1) didn't fix the misfire, and 2) wasn't even the coil or plug that was identified by their diagnostics or the Indy shops.

"PLF and PFL are interchangeable terms when it comes to Holland DZ" -1SG Bailey 319th AFAR
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
German Straight-6
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 328i & F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_308 View Post
I'm fed up with my local dealer and don't any good Indy shops for BMW. I'm in the MD/VA/DC area, does anyone have a good shop I can go to? I'm getting conflicting issues from my local dealer. Last week Thursday I got the "drive train malfunction " indicator. Just so there was a BMW Indy shop down the road I was on. They were closing but scanned my vehicle to see what the issue was; they said misfire cylinder 3 more than likely I need a new coil and plug. Since they were closing I limped home.

Friday, I bring it over to my local dealer; of course no loaners, 3hrs later my SA calls and says misfire cylinder 2, suggests replacing all coils and plugs for $1300. I refused and asked for just the one I needed, (I can replace the coils and plugs myself... way less than $1300). 2hrs later, my SA calls back to only to tell me that replacing the coil in cylinder 2 didn't fix the issue and now I need 2 injectors replaced, plus the coil on cylinder 3 is cracked.. for $1800. I refused this work as it's different from what the Indy stated. I asked how it was possible for the tech to misdiagnose or not know it needed an injector before replacing the coil in a cylinder that wasn't reporting a fault, as it was #3 not #2, that has the misfire.

Now the dealership wants me to pay for the coil and plug they replaced, that 1) didn't fix the misfire, and 2) wasn't even the coil or plug that was identified by their diagnostics or the Indy shops.
dude, you don't need to go to a special mechanic for a simple plug and coil change. I recommend buying the parts of amazon or ebay (6 spark plugs and 1ignition coil for misfiring cylinder) and have any reputable mechanic install it. you don't need to pay out of your nose at the dealer or indy for $100 worth of parts...
Appreciate 0