2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums EUROPE - CONTINENTAL Excessive Road Noise

09-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Sodjer
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 530D M Sport

Excessive Road Noise

I spent a considerable amount of money buying a 530D M Sport F10, and am extremely disappointed at the excessive road noise whilst travelling. The tyres which are fitted are Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 19 inch Run flats. These tyres are advertised at producing 68db, probably the claimed quietest tyres for the Beamer, well if these are the quietest I would hate to hear anything above this 68db limit. Very disappointed BMW as a transit van is quieter than this, you would expect next to no noise transmission from the tyres inside the car, for this prestige make of car. I am seriously considering getting rid of this and jumping ship to an Audi. My 530D E60 was quieter. Can anyone advise of a similar situation, is it because the tyres are run flat that so much noise is produced.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Diesel Flash
The Flasher
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M sport

Garage List
2008 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodjer View Post
I spent a considerable amount of money buying a 530D M Sport F10, and am extremely disappointed at the excessive road noise whilst travelling. The tyres which are fitted are Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 19 inch Run flats. These tyres are advertised at producing 68db, probably the claimed quietest tyres for the Beamer, well if these are the quietest I would hate to hear anything above this 68db limit. Very disappointed BMW as a transit van is quieter than this, you would expect next to no noise transmission from the tyres inside the car, for this prestige make of car. I am seriously considering getting rid of this and jumping ship to an Audi. My 530D E60 was quieter. Can anyone advise of a similar situation, is it because the tyres are run flat that so much noise is produced.
i definately noticed a difference when i changed from runflats to standard tyres, in ride comfort and noise level, but hand on heart the noise was never really an issue for me, big fan of smoother ride though. just pray you dont have a puncture
      01-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

Mine came with runflat 18" 245s all the way around. Switched to 20s 255s/295s non runflats. Noticeable difference in ride and interior noise level. Still not that bad though. Road surface has a lot to do with it of course, gotta take that into consideration. You can switch to 17s or 18s and have a quieter smoother ride, but the look will be not so awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Ill chime in! My 20" OEM 356's on run flats feel like I'm driving on bricks! But get this, I'm now on 21's non run flats on smaller side walls ...and it drives like butter!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodjer View Post
Remember that the rating is only part of judging a tyre's cabin noise level. The test is a drive by figure and on a specific surface finish, so not a true representative of what gets to the cabin.

The ironical thing is that a tyre with a higher decibel level can be quieter in the car, than a lower rating.

I run two different tyres on my F11, both run-flat. The winter Dunlop tyres are very quiet, virtually silent on some surfaces. The summer tyres are Continental and are more surface influenced. Again, quiet on some surfaces, a bit of noise on coarse finishes, but no way intrusive. I'm on 17" winter and 18" summer tyres.

I'd say the F10/11 is well isolated from road noise, I guess the lower the tyre profile the worse the noise often gets, but that applies to non run-flats as well.

I've driven F10 models on 19" run-flats, can't recall tyre noise being an issue. The F30, that's a different story, a lot of tyre noise and not just fun-flats. Non run-flat ECO tyres are pretty noisy.
Appreciate 0