2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Transmission Malfunction; Dealer States Mechatronics :(

08-10-2018, 12:59 AM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Transmission Malfunction; Dealer States Mechatronics :(

Received Transmission Malfunction message on iDrive and dealer states Mechatronics unit is bad.

Transmission previously replaced April 2017; relevant portion of invoice for same attached.

Can someone please tell me whether or not what's shown on the invoice shows if the Mechatronics unit was replaced.

In other words, does a transmission come with a Mechatronics unit? If so, should be covered under BMW's 2 year parts warranty.

Please advise ASAP.

Thank you very much for your desperately needed help!
Attached Images

Last edited by dbs600; 08-10-2018 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Replacement transmissions come complete with mechatronics and are sealed units. The tech is to add/verify fluid level but otherwise its ready to rock.

It should be a warranty item.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Just e-mailed this to the Service Advisor:

“Can you please look into getting the whole transmission replaced under 2 year parts warranty, speaking with your warranty department need be, as the whole transmission was replaced under the prior RO.

I just spoke with two dealer’s parts departments and confirmed that transmissions come complete with mechatronics and are sealed units. It’s a part within a part, and if unable to warranty the mechatronics itself, the whole transmission should be warrantied.”

Just got this back:

“The mechatronics is sold separate and has its own part number cannot warranty the transmission when the mechatronics failed.”

What am I do to!?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

I spoke with my service advisor again, who said he spoke with the service manager and was informed that this is a ‘technicality’, that the dealer isn’t able to warranty the transmission because the whole transmission doesn’t need to be replaced, and they aren’t able to warranty the mechatronics module itself because it has its own part number and there’s no record of it’s prior sale.

I was instructed to contact customer relations, which I have, and the dealer is expecting customer relations to reach out to the service manager. I asked if the dealer can contact corporate themselves, but I was told it’d be better if I do so myself.

I rehashed that the whole transmission was replaced within the past two years and that the mechatronics module is a part within the whole transmission, which should be covered by the two year warranty, as the module itself was effectively installed in my car within the past two years as it being a part of the transmission.

Upon calling customer relations, the rep I spoke with was confused why I was calling and stated that dealers make final determinations on warranty coverage and that they have their own internal corporate contacts for warranty matters. So I’m not sure what to say, but that’s where we're at.

All other insight / knowledge / recommendations welcome.

Will keep everyone posted.

Thank you again, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

I'd take it to another dealer if you can, the warranty isn't there but with BMW. That one is rehtahd.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
I'd take it to another dealer if you can, the warranty isn't there but with BMW. That one is rehtahd.
:|
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
jburke4689
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I've seen this before. When a component is replaced under warranty it doesn't get its own warranty. For example, your transmission fails at 3 years, 11 months and has 48,000 miles on it. BMW puts in a new transmission that would normally have its own warranty (say 24 months) if you paid for it. But since they put it in, it just means it is under the new car warranty. If it fails at 50,001 miles , it is on you even though it only has 2,000 miles on it. Did you pay for the transmission replacement or was it under warranty. Either way, the mechatronics unit is inside the transmission bathed in fluid. It should be covered. It is an internal part like any other.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thank you all for your support, care and love.

Received a call today stating the mechatronics will be covered.

Not sure what the dilemma was, but covered.

Thanks again and wishing all a wonderful Labor Day ahead!

My best.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5706.00
      08-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #9
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i 2014

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thank you all for your support, care and love.

Received a call today stating the mechatronics will be covered.

Not sure what the dilemma was, but covered.

Thanks again and wishing all a wonderful Labor Day ahead!

My best.
Great!!! Always a relief when people take up responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Sorry for the bother everyone, but I’m losing my mind!

Car has been at the dealer for the past 2.5 months.

Mechatronics unit and guibo flex disc replaced.

I road tested this past Monday, and upon doing so, a chassis stabilization message came up; happened when accelerating during a U-turn.

Error went away after a bit, but I was able to reproduce upon doing same a second time. Thankfully, I was able to get the photos attached.

Dealer scanned the car and determined it needs a transfer case. From what I understand, however, the code went away after scanning and a GEICO inspector was unable to view the code upon visiting.

GEICO states they can send an inspector out again if the message comes back, but I don’t understand how the dealer wasn’t able to save the code so the inspector could view same!?

Also, what does it mean when a message comes and goes on the screen; that it doesn’t remain? Apparently the dealer was still able to pull a code without the message being on the screen.

Please also view the following videos re. another separate concern regarding a noise (note the titles of the videos include the times at which the noise happens in the videos):

It's a popping noise from front driver’s side, which can usually be reproduced on the lip of the driveway, and occurs during steering, most of the time when the car is in motion (usually making a left turn, or backing up to the right, after having turned the wheel to the right). Sounds like something popping / loose / not ‘torqued’ down properly.

Seems to happen when moving over parts of the road that aren’t completely flat or turning onto the lip of a driveway, and then backing up over same (to turn around). One or two times the noise also happened upon hard braking (when going straight), when weight shifted to the nose of the car.

Dealer replaced several underbody panels, but can’t figure it out; many other front end parts have been replaced in recent time as well.

What the hell is going on!?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

How old is your battery?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3985 View Post
How old is your battery?
Upgraded to the 105 mAh one approximately 3 years ago.

Having experienced battery failure in the past, I haven't had any of those symptoms now; a slew of cascading errors as I recall.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Update:

GEICO authorized transfer case replacement; so I’ll road test my car again after same.

In the meantime, if anyone has any input re. the popping noise while turning, please let me know. Not the axles, as they’ve been replaced.

Thanks and have a great weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Update:

GEICO authorized transfer case replacement; so I’ll road test my car again after same.

In the meantime, if anyone has any input re. the popping noise while turning, please let me know. Not the axles, as they’ve been replaced.

Thanks and have a great weekend.
Sounds like CV joint failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #15
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Sounds like CV joint failure.
Thank you.

Is this the same or different from the guibo?

They just replaced the guibo (sounded like there may be two guibos?)...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #16
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.

Is this the same or different from the guibo?

They just replaced the guibo (sounded like there may be two guibos?)...
Different...

It's the u-joint type connection at the outer end (wheel end) of the front axle.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #17
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Different...

It's the u-joint type connection at the outer end (wheel end) of the front axle.
Okay; thank you.

And to confirm; your comments are in reference to the noise heard during the videos, correct?

I'll be sure to advise the dealer of same.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #18
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay; thank you.

And to confirm; your comments are in reference to the noise heard during the videos, correct?

I'll be sure to advise the dealer of same.

Thanks again.
Could barely hear it but what I did hear sounds internal; like it's coming from the steering column.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #19
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Could barely hear it but what I did hear sounds internal; like it's coming from the steering column.
Wouldn't say I feel like it's is emanating from the steering column.

More like a thud, bang, pop from under the floor, near / below the pedals.

Thanks for viewing the videos, however; I appreciate it.

If you try viewing from your phone, sound may be more audible.

Much clearer on my iPhone than my laptop.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #20
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

I find it odd that this thumping started right after you had your dealer service the transmission and flexible disk. Looking at the flex disk repair instructions, the job is very finicky with a lot of cautions. You would hope that the tech followed the repair procedures to the tee but I won't be surprised if they didn't. Did they detail the repair procedures in your invoice and list what new part numbers they've replaced?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...aft/1VnYT6li9o

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...aft/1VnY8eN9xe
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #21
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
I find it odd that this thumping started right after you had your dealer service the transmission and flexible disk. Looking at the flex disk repair instructions, the job is very finicky with a lot of cautions. You would hope that the tech followed the repair procedures to the tee but I won't be surprised if they didn't. Did they detail the repair procedures in your invoice and list what new part numbers they've replaced?
Thanks, but please note the popping noise is a completely separate matter from the transmission / transfer case matter; popping noise has something to do with steering / suspension when body under load; car brought in for the popping noise at the same time as the transmission matter. Sorry about any confusion.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #22
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
Please note the popping noise is a completely separate matter from the transmission / transfer case matter, as it has something to do with steering / suspension when body under load (the car was brought in for the popping noise at the same time as the transmission matter).

Sorry for any confusion.
Appreciate 0