2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drivetrain malfunction but no codes?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
Captain Cook
New Member
3
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 550xi M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Drivetrain malfunction but no codes?

Driving a 2011 550xi.

Over the past month I keep getting random drivetrain malfunctions while accelerating to highway speeds but no limp mode. No codes stored either. The cars driving really bogged down and seems to not have full power.

I had the engine replaced by BMW recently so spark plugs, coils, gaskets, and whatever else I could think of has been replaced. Only thing I could think of is the waterpump and thermo, which haven't been replaced. Could either of those 2 cause this or does anybody have any other ideas? It's been driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
wcr3d
Lieutenant
97
Rep
479
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

What are you reading the codes with?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
Captain Cook
New Member
3
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 550xi M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Autolink AL 519. Also tried torque pro with an ELM Bluetooth adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
wcr3d
Lieutenant
97
Rep
479
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Not all readers are capable of reading all BMW codes.
I think you need something more specific.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:50 PM   #5
Captain Cook
New Member
3
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 550xi M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
Not all readers are capable of reading all BMW codes.
I think you need something more specific.
Any recommendations on a good code reader that can pick up BMW codes?

In the meantime I'll have to drop by a friend's place and see if I can turn over any new information with his more expensive scanner.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:31 AM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
First Lieutenant
158
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cook View Post
Any recommendations on a good code reader that can pick up BMW codes?

In the meantime I'll have to drop by a friend's place and see if I can turn over any new information with his more expensive scanner.
Grab the Foxwell NT510 with BMW software, works excellent, will read all BMW codes and you can use to reset adaptations, live view data, datalog, etc

Amazon has them for around 150. Just make sure you get one with the BMW software already loaded
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
666
Rep
1,404
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / E53 X5 4.4
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cook View Post
I had the engine replaced by BMW recently so spark plugs, coils, gaskets, and whatever else I could think of has been replaced.
If BMW replaced the engine...wouldn't it still be under a limited warranty? Only bringing it up because BMW NA (USA) would have a 2 yr warranty (at the least) if a BMW dealership replaced the engine. I would check to see what BMW Canada's position is on this. It could be something that has come undone/failed by the work they did replacing the engine.

Good luck.
__________________
2006 E53 X5 4.4 | 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`
BMW CCA Member #191509
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
Captain Cook
New Member
3
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 550xi M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If BMW replaced the engine...wouldn't it still be under a limited warranty? Only bringing it up because BMW NA (USA) would have a 2 yr warranty (at the least) if a BMW dealership replaced the engine. I would check to see what BMW Canada's position is on this. It could be something that has come undone/failed by the work they did replacing the engine.

Good luck.
So the warranty only covers the parts that were replaced, not anything external that can be re-used such as the water pump, turbos, etc.. I'm trying DIY to save as much money as I can after paying the hefty price of a new engine.

I did a scan today with BTools Lite (BTW it works fantastic) and I came up with the following codes:

CD9001
20A408
20A208
P0299
P02CB

Edit:

I cleared the codes and took it for a spin. The CD9001, p0299 and p02cb codes (charge pressure low) came on with the drivetrain malfunction. Am I correct to assume this is an intake side air/boost leak? I have no idea what the CD9001 code is.

Last edited by Captain Cook; 11-07-2019 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:02 AM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
First Lieutenant
158
Rep
318
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Most likely leaky/cracked CCV tubes, very common in the n63/s63. Replace them all. Also your wastegates are most likely getting worn which can also cause these errors. They are pretty easy to adjust and from the factory they should closed by -9psi and by -10psi tight enough you can not open by hand. If so worn out they can't be tight at -10 then you need to have them rebuilt. Also possible is bad pressure converters/vaccum line leaks but most likely CCV tubes and sloppy wastegates.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:31 AM   #10
Captain Cook
New Member
3
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 550xi M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Most likely leaky/cracked CCV tubes, very common in the n63/s63. Replace them all. Also your wastegates are most likely getting worn which can also cause these errors. They are pretty easy to adjust and from the factory they should closed by -9psi and by -10psi tight enough you can not open by hand. If so worn out they can't be tight at -10 then you need to have them rebuilt. Also possible is bad pressure converters/vaccum line leaks but most likely CCV tubes and sloppy wastegates.
I didn't think this might be related but twice this month I had some extremely loud metal fluttering type of noise, but only when accelerating or going above 1200 rpm - is this what sloppy wastegates sound like? No noticeable noise at idle. It sounded like it came from underneath the car, under driver seat almost. Both times it went away within the same day so I just took it as a random blip.

Are the wastegate actuators and arms easy to reach to hook up a vacuum pump and adjust the arms? or do I have to do a total removal of turbos and/or downpipes?

Last edited by Captain Cook; 11-07-2019 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST