2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Opinions about ECU/Chip upgrade?

03-10-2018, 03:57 AM   #1
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i X-drive

Opinions about ECU/Chip upgrade?

Need your help,

I own a 2013 535i X-drive i am looking to add a few more HP to the car and i am looking at different chip/adapters etc. i know we have the JB4, BURGER, DINAN etc.There are so many options out there.

I found the DINANTRONICS Sport Performance Tuner and i am curious about it. I wanted to know what are your opinions and recomendations about them.
      03-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Our opinions does not matter, what matter is your budget! JB4 is the widely used, reliable, cheapest.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Piggybacks are pretty dodgy and there's no need for them any more as flash tuning has been available for quite a while now.

MHD is my preference for many reasons.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450585

Bootmod3 is another option.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      03-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
Care to elaborate? Was flirting with the idea of BM3 after factory extended warranty expires... My N55 is PWG which seems to be somewhat limiting.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
Care to elaborate? Was flirting with the idea of BM3 after factory extended warranty expires... My N55 is PWG which seems to be somewhat limiting.
MHD is cheaper and are fully open as in you can generate a backup bin and flash any bin rather than keeping your files in the cloud. Also, I think they'll be the ones to continue development longer and continue introducing new features and custom logic such as flex fuel etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

anyone here got the DINANTRONICS ????????????
      03-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Kwood-F10-535i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 535I

Garage List
Wait a few months and get MHD I'm in the beta so far it's been great!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #8
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC535iowner View Post
anyone here got the DINANTRONICS ????????????
I had the Dinan Stage One Piggyback and removed it after a month. Got it installed at BMW Dealer. Not sure if this is the same thing you are referring to. I too have a 2014 BMW 535i X drive PWG. I had a lot of the other piggybacks out there and also had a different Tune. But recently i switched it and went with BPM Sport for an OBD ECU Stage One Remap after watching some good reviews on youtube and reading some good stuff on the BMW forums. Everybody had something good to say about BPM Sport. So that is who i decided to go with and i was very happy i did. Flashing the car took only 8 minutes total....Started car after tuned and i let it sit for a few minutes not knowing what to expect but here we go for a drive....This tune exceeded all my expectations....... It blows my mind how much faster an ECU remap can actually make your car. This car stock is so slow but after the remap it seems the car has finally woken up...It now actually has power when i give it gas and the power is consistent. The 535i Beast has woken!!!!!... It Pulls so much harder in every gear and throughout the gears. It is not like a piggyback where some gears and RPM's you dont feel it. You feel it in Every gear at every RPM after tuning...and did i say how smooth and consistent the power delivery is !!!! Also Once the car adapts it will get even better. The car is an absolute joy to drive everyday now. I wish my drive to work were a bit longer to give me more time to enjoy my tuned car. Overall i am very pleased with my decision to go with BPM Sport and i would highly recommend them to all my friends. I'm amazed every time i drive my car now
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2018, 02:09 AM   #9
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thank you for all your info..
      03-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

How do these adders affect longevity? I plan on keeping the cars until the repairs are the same as a payment or the wheels fall off.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
How do these adders affect longevity? I plan on keeping the cars until the repairs are the same as a payment or the wheels fall off.
My take on it is that, similar to pre-tune, it all depends on how you drive it. If you're stoplight racing all the time, you're going to have longevity issues with or without a tune. The tune will, obviously, increase stress on everything in the drivetrain (plus brakes) and make it even worse. If you don't constantly "open it up" to beyond-stock power output, it's not going to wear anything any faster.

Personally, I'm not interested in any piggybacks whatsoever. I'm interested in ECU tunes for a variety of reasons. I would love to remove the cold start cat warmup program when I have my M PE installed - it drives me bananas. I wouldn't mind a little bit of a "burble" program, but a lot of what I've seen out there is too extreme/juvenile for me. I saw an implication that one of the tunes (MHD?) lets you pick a number from 0-7 for "burble" aggressiveness - that appeals to me. My 535xi doesn't have a COMFORT/SPORT switch, so I don't have that user input into the tune to change its behaviour. I don't need crackling rifle shots every time I drop the kids at school or stop at the store for milk. A little bit of liveliness would be appreciated if in S or manual mode though.

Adding specific tunes for certain octane ratings, or ethanol percentages seems to make sense. Adding code reading and further instrumentation/logging seems like a good idea. MHD marketing also talked about torque limits by gear - that sounds like a good idea too. If I was given the option I might consider limiting to stock torque in 1st, maybe 2nd, and let 'er rip in 3-8. (This is the first AT car I've ever owned - I'm a little leary of AT longevity, repairs, and weird malfunctions in long term ownership). This saves the drivetrain a little bit off the line, but gives me more 30-80mph oomph.

Lastly - I believe that driveability of the resulting system is a huge factor in enjoyment. I don't care for "magazine racing" and shooting for some peak spec number that's 2.5hp higher than the competition. How does it drive on a twisty road, up and down through the gears etc... ? This was a huge factor in a review I read on the M-PPK, where he compared it to a handful of piggybacks which was all that was available at the time. The reviewer admitted the M-PPK was lower in max/peak power, but was way more fun and enjoyable, since the tune was active everywhere and working with real sensor readings to tune the engine behaviour.

My extended warranty is up Oct this year. I was thinking maybe BM3. Adding MHD to the list. We'll see how reviews read for PWG, since EWG seems to be everyone's main focus. BM3 has local people in my town.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #12
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

JB4 has always worked great on all my turbo BMW/s and continues to work great on my 535i.

Free updates, boost on dash, on the fly map changes, Stock, high psi, e85 auto learn map, race gas, all map changes within a few second via the steering wheel controls.

Free jb4 program to datalog the car to see how she is running, read codes, delete codes, resale value, extra safety measure on top of the oem measures, etc.

All these options have been great for me, certain that made me go Jb4 instead of flash.
I have had flashes on my older cars and my current M5.. It has its downsides for sure.
With Burger tuning coming out with free flashes in the future, its a no brainer for me.
      03-17-2018, 04:29 AM   #13
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
JB4 has always worked great on all my turbo BMW/s and continues to work great on my 535i.

Free updates, boost on dash, on the fly map changes, Stock, high psi, e85 auto learn map, race gas, all map changes within a few second via the steering wheel controls.

Free jb4 program to datalog the car to see how she is running, read codes, delete codes, resale value, extra safety measure on top of the oem measures, etc.

All these options have been great for me, certain that made me go Jb4 instead of flash.
I have had flashes on my older cars and my current M5.. It has its downsides for sure.
With Burger tuning coming out with free flashes in the future, its a no brainer for me.

Thanks for your opinion.
      03-20-2018, 11:42 PM   #14
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
OP, if you're willing to learn and do more like get updated maps, flash back to stock in your garage, and log Bootmod3 is my recommendation
If you want a set it and forget it, you can get a local tuner flash such as EnzoRacing

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #15
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
I had the Dinan Stage One Piggyback and removed it after a month. Got it installed at BMW Dealer. Not sure if this is the same thing you are referring to. I too have a 2014 BMW 535i X drive PWG. I had a lot of the other piggybacks out there and also had a different Tune. But recently i switched it and went with BPM Sport for an OBD ECU Stage One Remap after watching some good reviews on youtube and reading some good stuff on the BMW forums. Everybody had something good to say about BPM Sport. So that is who i decided to go with and i was very happy i did. Flashing the car took only 8 minutes total....Started car after tuned and i let it sit for a few minutes not knowing what to expect but here we go for a drive....This tune exceeded all my expectations....... It blows my mind how much faster an ECU remap can actually make your car. This car stock is so slow but after the remap it seems the car has finally woken up...It now actually has power when i give it gas and the power is consistent. The 535i Beast has woken!!!!!... It Pulls so much harder in every gear and throughout the gears. It is not like a piggyback where some gears and RPM's you dont feel it. You feel it in Every gear at every RPM after tuning...and did i say how smooth and consistent the power delivery is !!!! Also Once the car adapts it will get even better. The car is an absolute joy to drive everyday now. I wish my drive to work were a bit longer to give me more time to enjoy my tuned car. Overall i am very pleased with my decision to go with BPM Sport and i would highly recommend them to all my friends. I'm amazed every time i drive my car now

I know this is a late reply, just stumbled upon this. Thank you!!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0