2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions F10 2019-1 Nav Update DIY

11-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
F10 2019-1 Nav Update DIY

Let me start off by saying that this is my first DIY here, so if you have any constructive criticism, I am all ears. Also, just to put it out there, I am in no way affiliated with the creators of any of the software mentioned here, and I am by no means an "expert" with using any of them. If you search online I'm sure you can find where to download all the software needed and how to install it properly on your PC.

Everything I did to get this to work was done using Windows 10 running in BootCamp on my MacBook Air.

So, after much research, I really couldn't find a complete "dummy-proof" guide explaining exactly how to update to the latest maps while generating my own FSC code for the install. I ended up using multiple sources and a lot of trial and error to figure it out all out. It seems to be a pretty simple task if you're wiling to pay for an FSC code. I had some free time and wanted to see if I could do it without buying one. In the end I ended up succeeding!

The basics for install can be found in multiple places online and include the following:

1. Download latest map data for your specific nav unit (Mine is a Next NBT)
2. Extract files to a blank USB drive that is formatted as FAT32
3. Insert USB stick into car, and wait for prompt to update from USB
4. Enter FSC code

That's where the research and trial and error came in.

For those of you that don't know, the FSC code is specific to the map update and your cars VIN. This code can be bought online, or if you don't mind spending some extra time using Esys and some other software that can be found online, can be generated for free.

I ended up following the various guides online to get the first half of what I needed using Esys. None of the guides I found online were really much of a "guide for dummies", or at least none that I found seemed to be written that way. They all seemed to be written as if you really know your way around Esys and Windows command prompt. I used BMW Esys, BMW-FSC-NBT, and Base64 (Which came with my download of BMW-FSC-NBT). Here is my version of the steps necessary to create the first half of what you need using Esys:

1. Connect to car with Esys.
2. Click “FSC Extended” on left of Esys.
3. Enter “0x63” for the “Diagnostic Address”.
4. Click “Identify”.
5. Wait for “Base Variant” to display your cars' info.
6. Enter “0xDE” for “Application ID”.
7. Enter “0x1” for “Upgrade Index”.
8. Scroll down and select “StoreFSC”.
9. Select the “ >> ” button.
10. Click “Read”.
11. Click “Save” and save as last 7 digits of VIN.FSC
(example: XXXXXXX.FSC)

So that's the part that Esys takes care of. After this, I used a program called Base64, which came with the BMW-FSC-NBT software download I used in the next section. This step requires you to open a command prompt in Windows.

1. Make sure you have the BMW-FSC-NBT software installed and know the location.
2. Move the file you just saved with Esys to the "tools" folder inside the BMW-FSC-NBT software folder.
3. Open a command prompt Windows by typing "cmd" into the start menu on your computer. Now you need to navigate to the “tools” folder you just moved the FSC file to. You need to type "cd" then a space, then the location of the "tools" folder into the command prompt window.
(Example: "cd C:\Users\YourName\Applications\BMW-FSC-NBT\tools")
4. Now in the command prompt window, type in the following using YOUR FSC file name and last 7 digits of VIN (Replace the Xs with your VIN)
“Base64 XXXXXXX.FSC XXXXXXX_000DE001.FSC”
5. Run the BMW-FSC-NBT software by clicking it.
6. Select your newly made FSC file by clicking “Browse” and selecting the new file that you just created in the “tools” folder.
7. Select the correct map from the selection.
8. Click “Generate”. (This will generate your FSC code to enter into iDrive)

The issue I had here is that the map I was trying to update to (North America Next 2019-1) wasn't shown in the list! I had read that I needed to update my lookup.xml file to reflect this map, but didn't quite understand how to do so properly. These are the steps I used to update it to allow me to select it in the BMW-FSC-NBT software:

1. Navigate to the “tools” folder of the BMW-FSC-NBT software.
2. Right click, then select “edit” on the “index.xml” file.
3. Scroll down to the most recent map update for your application. (Mine was showing North America Next 2014-2 as the most recent)
4. Copy the lines from the most recent map update and paste below it.
5. Change “id” to match the map data file name.
6. Change the last two characters of “FscShort” to “FF”.
7. Change “name” to reflect the map data you are updating to.
8. Change “sop” to yesterdays' date.

EXAMPLE for North America Next 2019-1 (Changes I have made are in RED)

</SgbmId>
<SgbmId id="NAVD_000014B8_255_004_177" SWID_FscShort="00A800FF" name="Road Map NORTH AMERICA Next 2019-1" supplier="TAS" sop="11.01.2018" version="10_09" MapOrderNumberBMW="" MapOrderNumberMINI="" MapOrderNumberRR="" successorMapOrderNumberBMW="" successorMapOrderNumberMINI="" successorMapOrderNumberRR="">
<EcuVariant CompatibilityIdentifier="NBT-HB" Format="CIC" />
<SwUpdate SwUpdateEntry=""/>
</SgbmId>

Once I finally completed the changes, the list showed the "North America Next 2019-1" map. I selected it, then hit "Generate". This produced my FSC code needed to install the update! Finally!

I then plugged my USB drive with my map data on it into the car, selected "Update" in iDrive when prompted, and then entered this newly generated FSC code. It took about 15 minutes, then I had a message of success in iDrive!

Recap of the Steps:

VERY FIRST STEP:
Download and install BMW Esys and BMW-FSC-NBT and make sure you have Base64 within your BMW-FSC-NBT software folder.

Download Map and ready USB Drive:
1. Download latest Maps for your vehicle. Unzip and place on newly formatted FAT32 USB Drive.

Updating the lookup file (If your map isn't on the list in BMW-FSC-NBT):
1. Navigate to the “tools” folder of the BMW-FSC-NBT software
2. Right click, then select “edit” on the “index.xml” file
3. Scroll down to the most recent map update for your application
4. Copy the lines from the most recent map update and paste below
5. Change “id” to match the map data file name
6. Change the last two characters of “FscShort” to “FF”
7. Change “name” to reflect the map data you are updating to
8. Change “sop” to yesterday

EXAMPLE for North America Next 2019-1 (Changes in RED)

</SgbmId>
<SgbmId id="NAVD_000014B8_255_004_177" SWID_FscShort="00A800FF" name="Road Map NORTH AMERICA Next 2019-1" supplier="TAS" sop="11.01.2018" version="10_09" MapOrderNumberBMW="" MapOrderNumberMINI="" MapOrderNumberRR="" successorMapOrderNumberBMW="" successorMapOrderNumberMINI="" successorMapOrderNumberRR="">
</SgbmId>

Generating an FSC code:
1. Connect to car with Esys
2. Click “FSC Extended” on left of Esys
3. Enter “0x63” for the “Diagnostic Address”
4. Click “Identify”
5. Wait for “Base Variant” to simply the cars’ info
6. Enter “0xDE” for “Application ID”
7. Enter “0x1” for “Upgrade Index”
8. Scroll down and select “StoreFSC”
9. Select the “ >> ” button
10. Click “Read”
11. Click “Save” and save as last 7 digits of VIN.FSC in the “tools” folder of the BMW-FSC-NBT software folder (example: XXXXXXX.FSC)
12. Open command prompt and navigate to the “tools” folder you just saved the FSC file in
13. Type in the following using YOUR last 7 digits of VIN
14. Run the BMW-FSC-NBT software
15. Select your newly made FSC file by clicking “Browse” and selecting the new file in the “tools” folder
16. Select the map from the selection
17. Click “Generate” (This will generate your FSC code to enter into iDrive shortly)
18. Plug in the USB stick with the maps data into the car, wait for the update prompt, then select update
19. Enter the FSC code you generated when iDrive prompts you

I hope this helps someone out there who is struggling to update their car to newer maps.
Appreciate 9
bcoz80.50
windel3.00
zvery777266.50
Sutho1.50
AlexL4.50
eni163.00
JamzyB1.50
      11-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
07e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

nice write up, i went thru similar trail and error, and since you had figured it all out, if not done so, i suggest you to generate a “life time” FSC code.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #3
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

I will try this out and update you as I've been wanting to update my maps for the longest time but couldn't justify paying the dealer or some novice remote coder hundreds of dollars.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
QbanCgar
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
Let me start off by saying that this is my first DIY here, so if you have any constructive criticism, I am all ears. Also, just to put it out there, I am in no way affiliated with the creators of any of the software mentioned here, and I am by no means an "expert" with using any of them. If you search online I'm sure you can find where to download all the software needed and how to install it properly on your PC.

Everything I did to get this to work was done using Windows 10 running in BootCamp on my MacBook Air.

So, after much research, I really couldn't find a complete "dummy-proof" guide explaining exactly how to update to the latest maps while generating my own FSC code for the install. I ended up using multiple sources and a lot of trial and error to figure it out all out. It seems to be a pretty simple task if you're wiling to pay for an FSC code. I had some free time and wanted to see if I could do it without buying one. In the end I ended up succeeding!

The basics for install can be found in multiple places online and include the following:

4. Enter FSC code

For those of you that don't know, the FSC code is specific to the map update and your cars VIN. This code can be bought online, or if you don't mind spending some extra time using Esys and some other software that can be found online, can be generated for free.

I ended up following the various guides online to get the first half of what I needed using Esys. None of the guides I found online were really much of a "guide for dummies", or at least none that I found seemed to be written that way. They all seemed to be written as if you really know your way around Esys and Windows command prompt. I used BMW Esys, BMW-FSC-NBT, and Base64 (Which came with my download of BMW-FSC-NBT). Here is my version of the steps necessary to create the first half of what you need using Esys:

4. Click “Identify”.
10. Click “Read”.

So that's the part that Esys takes care of. After this, I used a program called Base64, which came with the BMW-FSC-NBT software download I used in the next section. This step requires you to open a command prompt in Windows.

2. Move the file you just saved with Esys to the "tools" folder inside the BMW-FSC-NBT software folder.
3. Open a command prompt Windows by typing "cmd" into the start menu on your computer. Now you need to navigate to the “tools” folder you just moved the FSC file to. You need to type "cd" then a space, then the location of the "tools" folder into the command prompt window.
4. Now in the command prompt window, type in the following using YOUR FSC file name and last 7 digits of VIN (Replace the Xs with your VIN)
6. Select your newly made FSC file by clicking “Browse” and selecting the new file that you just created in the “tools” folder.

The issue I had here is that the map I was trying to update to (North America Next 2019-1) wasn't shown in the list! I had read that I needed to update my lookup.xml file to reflect this map, but didn't quite understand how to do so properly. These are the steps I used to update it to allow me to select it in the BMW-FSC-NBT software:

3. Scroll down to the most recent map update for your application. (Mine was showing North America Next 2014-2 as the most recent)

</SgbmId>
</SgbmId>

Once I finally completed the changes, the list showed the "North America Next 2019-1" map. I selected it, then hit "Generate". This produced my FSC code needed to install the update! Finally!

I then plugged my USB drive with my map data on it into the car, selected "Update" in iDrive when prompted, and then entered this newly generated FSC code. It took about 15 minutes, then I had a message of success in iDrive!

Recap of the Steps:

VERY FIRST STEP:
Download and install BMW Esys and BMW-FSC-NBT and make sure you have Base64 within your BMW-FSC-NBT software folder.

1. Download latest Maps for your vehicle. Unzip and place on newly formatted FAT32 USB Drive.

</SgbmId>
</SgbmId>

Generating an FSC code:
4. Click “Identify”
10. Click “Read”
11. Click “Save” and save as last 7 digits of VIN.FSC in the “tools” folder of the BMW-FSC-NBT software folder (example: XXXXXXX.FSC)
12. Open command prompt and navigate to the “tools” folder you just saved the FSC file in
15. Select your newly made FSC file by clicking “Browse” and selecting the new file in the “tools” folder
17. Click “Generate” (This will generate your FSC code to enter into iDrive shortly)
18. Plug in the USB stick with the maps data into the car, wait for the update prompt, then select update

I hope this helps someone out there who is struggling to update their car to newer maps.
Do you know if this would work for the F10s? I have '11 535i that I need to update my Navi.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Mine is a 2015 535 with NEXT NBT. I’d image it would work with any Nav unit, just make sure you have the correct map update, as in I needed the NEXT update as my head unit is the NEXT NBT, but if you have the Premium Nav, you need the Premium map update.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by QbanCgar View Post
Do you know if this would work for the F10s? I have '11 535i that I need to update my Navi.
Quote:
Mine is a 2015 535 with NEXT NBT. I’d image it would work with any Nav unit, just make sure you have the correct map update, as in I needed the NEXT update as my head unit is the NEXT NBT, but if you have the Premium Nav, you need the Premium map update.
IIRC, all U.S. F10's have the same NAV system so the map software should work in all F10's.
Appreciate 1
SWFLf10372.00
      12-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
BimmerOwner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I just bought the 2019 Nav Update for my 2016 535. USB enroute.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerOwner View Post
For future reference, you can pay for a lifetime FSC on eBay (once; mine was $25) and get the NAV software for free.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
BimmerOwner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerOwner View Post
For future reference, you can pay for a lifetime FSC on eBay (once; mine was $25) and get the NAV software for free.
I paid $70 to BMW itself with lifetime code.
It will be here by Friday.
Thank you for the tip. 👍👍
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
samadkins29
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535i

Quote:
IIRC, all U.S. F10's have the same NAV system so the map software should work in all F10's.
This isnt correct. 2011-2013 Have CIC (Premium) 2014-2016 have NBT (NEXT)

CIC will require 4 x 8Gb(Min) USBs (FAT32) to load the map data from the glove box USB port. *Some versions can be done on 1 flash drive. Depending on the source.

NEXT can be loaded from a single 32Gb USB (FAT32/Can also try NTFS) through the USB port in the center console.

For FSC codes, easiest to just buy the lifetime code on eBay ($15-$25)

You DONT need esys or any other software - maps can be updated through Idrive.

***Unless some drastic change was done with 2019 maps, Im only up to 2018.

Last edited by samadkins29; 12-25-2018 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post

CIC will require 4 x 8Gb(Min) USBs (FAT32) to load the map data from the glove box USB port. *Some versions can be done on 1 flash drive. Depending on the source.

NEXT can be loaded from a single 32Gb USB (FAT32/Can also try NTFS) through the USB port in the center console.

For FSC codes, easiest to just buy the lifetime code on eBay ($15-$25)

You DONT need esys or any other software - maps can be updated through Idrive.

***Unless some drastic change was done with 2019 maps, Im only up to 2018.
I thought the software was the same and just the process was different.

I had no problems installing the 2019-1 map into our 2014.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
samadkins29
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535i

Quote:
I thought the software was the same and just the process was different.

I had no problems installing the 2019-1 map into our 2014.
Premium only has up to 2019, NEXT has 2019-1. The data on the map itself might be very close, but its not the same map data files.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #13
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
I believe BMW changed F10s from CIC to NBT (Next Best Thing, just in case some didn't know) during mid-year of the '2013' production run. My F10, labelled in North America as a 2013 model, was built in August of 2012 and has NBT.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #14
95sloow_f10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Oil cooler oil housing stripped bolt !!!

How can I go about fixing this ? Anyone know the size for helicoil or timesert [IMG][/IMG]
Any help gladly appreciate it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
Kingkajee
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d M Sport

@swflf10

Thanks for your post.

Here's an update to help others on the back of your post.

My car is an F10 with a HU_CHAMP2 using the MOVE maps. I did have Road Maps Europe 2014-1 but now have 2018-2.

I created my FSC file from Esys by using this guide and have repeated the steps below for anyone with the same head unit as me. You will need esys and basic esys knowledge to do this. If you don't, the information is easily accessable.

In addition, I downloaded 2018 maps that somone posted on the net. Again, can be found through the power of Google.

Finally, I used the bmw_cic_fsc_generator

Anyway here's what I did

On esys:

4. Click “Identify”.
6. Enter “0x1B” for “Application ID”. Mine is a HU_CHAMP2. Nbt will be different
10. Click “Read”.
(example: XXXXXXX.FSC) on laptop. Make a note of where you saved the file.

Then over to your laptop.

Using the bmw_cic_fsc_generator:

Download and run bmw_cic_fsc_generator-win32-1.9. This is the link I used

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1456836

When you run the generator for the first time, you'll need to close and reopen it.

1. In open file, select the file you generated from esys.
2. In Map type, I selected MOVE
3. In region, mine is Europe
4. In Maps I selected the map map that I had downloaded. (Road map Europe move 2018-2

5. Then I simply generated the code.

Prepare USB:

1. COPY map files onto a a fat32 USB.
2. Plug into glove box USB. Again this is on the F10
3. Follow instructions and enter map code generated.
4. Wait for the magic to happen. Takes approx 1 hour to install

Credit to all you geniuses on these forums!
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #16
ugwaraich
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d MSport F10 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkajee View Post
@swflf10

Thanks for your post.

Here's an update to help others on the back of your post.

My car is an F10 with a HU_CHAMP2 using the MOVE maps. I did have Road Maps Europe 2014-1 but now have 2018-2.

I created my FSC file from Esys by using this guide and have repeated the steps below for anyone with the same head unit as me. You will need esys and basic esys knowledge to do this. If you don't, the information is easily accessable.

In addition, I downloaded 2018 maps that somone posted on the net. Again, can be found through the power of Google.

Finally, I used the bmw_cic_fsc_generator

Anyway here's what I did

On esys:

4. Click “Identify”.
6. Enter “0x1B” for “Application ID”. Mine is a HU_CHAMP2. Nbt will be different
10. Click “Read”.
(example: XXXXXXX.FSC) on laptop. Make a note of where you saved the file.

Then over to your laptop.

Using the bmw_cic_fsc_generator:

Download and run bmw_cic_fsc_generator-win32-1.9. This is the link I used

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1456836

When you run the generator for the first time, you'll need to close and reopen it.

1. In open file, select the file you generated from esys.
2. In Map type, I selected MOVE
3. In region, mine is Europe
4. In Maps I selected the map map that I had downloaded. (Road map Europe move 2018-2

5. Then I simply generated the code.

Prepare USB:

1. COPY map files onto a a fat32 USB.
2. Plug into glove box USB. Again this is on the F10
3. Follow instructions and enter map code generated.
4. Wait for the magic to happen. Takes approx 1 hour to install

Credit to all you geniuses on these forums!
Thanks, 0xDE for the Application ID didnt work for me either. It worked when I used 0x1B. Got the FSC code now and downloading the maps now to load.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 01:26 PM   #17
aa240sx
aa240sx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW M3

Just wanted to say this method is definitely outdated. I can confirm that the method below is far superior, more efficient, and works.

I'm not a programmer or coding expert, but instead of having to input hex codes, etc, you just use a 1b.zip file on a usb drive, put it in your f10, then take the resulting files and put that in fsc generator and voila, you get your fsc code. that and your maps gets you updated.

Again, this worked for me.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461515
      02-10-2022, 09:50 PM   #18
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa240sx View Post
Just wanted to say this method is definitely outdated. I can confirm that the method below is far superior, more efficient, and works.

I'm not a programmer or coding expert, but instead of having to input hex codes, etc, you just use a 1b.zip file on a usb drive, put it in your f10, then take the resulting files and put that in fsc generator and voila, you get your fsc code. that and your maps gets you updated.

Again, this worked for me.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461515
Reading the link, that only works with the CIC, not the LCI NBT. Purchasing a $20 lifetime FSC and downloading the free map software was pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 02:30 PM   #19
elessar_uk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f10

Is there any way to get osx/linux fsc generator? All links are expired.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 08:12 PM   #20
hurst01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i GT XDrive

NAV Update

I would really like to do this but I don't have a clue as to what you guys are talking about. Does anyone have an update for sale? My car is a 2011 F10 535iX Drive with M. Most of the time my car shows me either in a field or in the middle of a river.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 11:42 PM   #21
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurst01 View Post
I would really like to do this but I don't have a clue as to what you guys are talking about. Does anyone have an update for sale? My car is a 2011 F10 535iX Drive with M. Most of the time my car shows me either in a field or in the middle of a river.
Hit up shawnsheridan with a PM and ask him for the link to the map software. IIRC, you'll need 2, 32gb flash drives and an FSC code you can purchase off of ebay for pretty cheap. The maps are free. Some vendors sell the FSC (you'll want a lifetime FSC) and map software as a set. You'll install the maps using the USB port in the glove box.

If I can do it, anyone can!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 11:24 AM   #22
eni16
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi

Quote:

4. Enter FSC code

4. Click “Identify”.
10. Click “Read”.

</SgbmId>
</SgbmId>

Recap of the Steps:

VERY FIRST STEP:

</SgbmId>
</SgbmId>

Generating an FSC code:
4. Click “Identify”
10. Click “Read”

Thanks for the great explanation!

I've a question regarding getting FSC from the car. Did you used E-Sys direct or you opened E-Sys via another software like Launcher(E-Sys Launcher PRO or E-Sys Launcher Premium) or BimmerUtility?
As far as I know, for FDL Coding E-Sys requires a 3rd Party “Mapping” application such as E-Sys Launcher PRO(or BimmerUtility) as it Provides CAFD Mapping but I'm not sure if this 3rd Party “Mapping” application is also needed for getting FSC from the car.
Appreciate 0