2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 12.3" Popout Android Multimedia Navigation System for BMW 5 Series F10 F11 F18

10-10-2020, 12:30 AM   #23
cb2004mj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

like stock, none of the speakers, head unit, amplifier, etc change. just display and an additional android system. youtube music videos are sick tho haha
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #24
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2004mj View Post
like stock, none of the speakers, head unit, amplifier, etc change. just display and an additional android system. youtube music videos are sick tho haha
I realize that everything else is stock. More specifically, I was asking about the sound quality because it works through the Aux input and the source makes a big difference there.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #25
cb2004mj
Private
Rep

I don't even have my aux hooked up man lol. sound quality is the same as before to me. if there's any difference at all I can't make it out or the three beamer buddies that have played with it and listened too it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #26
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't even have my aux hooked up man lol. sound quality is the same as before to me. if there's any difference at all I can't make it out or the three beamer buddies that have played with it and listened too it.
No, the android units work through the aux circuit in the factory radio, that’s how the wiring works. But that’s good to hear that it sounds good!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:59 AM   #27
cb2004mj
Private
Rep

ok, well mines not wired to the aux and it works just fine as I stated above. guess I don't understand how I installed it haha
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #28
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ok, well mines not wired to the aux and it works just fine as I stated above. guess I don't understand how I installed it haha
Just because it isn’t plugged into the aux jack doesn’t mean it isn’t running through the aux input. You have to get audio from the android screen into the factory head unit and then to the amplifier somehow. The factory head unit has a radio tuner, sat radio, usb, and aux input. The aux input is just the easiest way to interface with the factory stereo system. Think of it like a piggyback tuning device.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #29
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Good unit, with caveats

I have purchased this screen as well. I previously had AVIN's 720p screen already, so this was a bit of an unnecessary upgrade (but I'm sure I'm not the first to do this haha).

I do love the screen, but here are some caveats from my personal experience:

Quote:
- I'm having a corruption problem during the boot animation. It has been a long and exhausting process to try every possible variable to fix it. Eventually AVIN and I just settled on exchanging the unit (I actually bought a new one, and will be sending the bad one back /fingers crossed).

- This is not confirmed, but my opinion, and other members over on the Android HU thread's opinion, is that it's possible that these units have a baked-in bootanimation (a circle of bubbles). So the typical process to change the bootanimation doesn't seem to work.

- They sent my unit preinstalled with what they call their "blue ray filter". I was told this was a free upgrade (I didn't ask for it). I asked to make sure it wouldn't void the warranty (you never know), if I could remove it, and so I did. I did not like how it made the text slightly blurrier. Keep in mind that reflections will be pretty prominent without any filter at all. AVIN has informed me that they are working on getting regular filters available shortly.

- I get why these stickers exist, but AVIN's warranty void sticker is HUGE (relatively) and placed on the bottom of the unit. It's light gray, and reflects off the shiny wood trim (at times it's VERY obvious). This may or may not bother you, depending on how OCD you are. I had to place a piece of lightly tacky (so it doesn't pull the sticker off) black tape over it.

- While the monitor slots into a bracket that actually fits in the original screen's space, it still rests and touches the wood trim. It shifts very very slightly with car movement, this is expected. But I did not want it to scratch the trim, so again with more tape (this time TESA tape, which BMW uses in their cars to cushion noise among other things).

- You may find that the monitor may have some slight give to it when you touch it. This is affected by the temperature in the car which makes the bracket less rigid. Again, this may or may not be an issue to you.
I'll update this if I forgot anything, but this is already pretty lengthy.

DESPITE all those things, I think they have a good product on their hands, it will be a permanent part of my car, assuming the replacement doesn't have the same image corruption issue as the first. The sound quality is great like all their other products that I have purchased.

Hope this helps anyone make a more informed purchase. Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: I can no longer recommend this unit based on my experience with two of them back to back. See post below.

Last edited by EvntHrzn; 11-05-2020 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: Formatting clarity
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 01:00 AM   #30
cb2004mj
Private
Rep

I also got their "free upgrade" with the blue filter screen protector and emailed them and removed it. I've also lifted my screen and added a black foam layer along the bottom that has given the screen more stability and made it more secure to the dash by having a resting place. I've had zero corruption or start up issue with my screen. but these are minor issues people should be made aware of.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2020, 02:47 AM   #31
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I also got their "free upgrade" with the blue filter screen protector and emailed them and removed it. I've also lifted my screen and added a black foam layer along the bottom that has given the screen more stability and made it more secure to the dash by having a resting place. I've had zero corruption or start up issue with my screen. but these are minor issues people should be made aware of.
Yes, the Tesa tape is fine, but I was planning on adding a layer of foam as well.
I only have grey weatherstrip foam so I was planning on taking a trip to home depot to find some other type before my replacement unit arrives on Monday.

But if you can recommend a specific one, it might save me some searching. Much appreciated in advance if you can.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #32
cb2004mj
Private
Rep

I bought some foam insulation tape off Amazon. it's 1/2" wide by 3/8" tall black foam tape. pretty simple stuff. you can see a small reveal at the bottom but it's not very noticeable as I put it at the back edge.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:02 PM   #33
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I bought some foam insulation tape off Amazon. it's 1/2" wide by 3/8" tall black foam tape. pretty simple stuff. you can see a small reveal at the bottom but it's not very noticeable as I put it at the back edge.
As similar as our dashes look, I have almost zero clearance once the headunit clicks into place. Speaking of which, I didn't realize at first that it actually did click into place at the end of sliding it into the bracket. In my car, I have pull on the bottom half of the screen a tiny bit when it gets to the end for it to actually click.

We must have just slightly different clearances in our cars, or the brackets are installed at slightly different depths or something.

So while I did try 1/8 foam, that's still too much for mine. I've ordered 1/16 from Amazon will give it a try on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #34
Le Inc
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10

I installed Lee Spring 10' monitor https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_. All works fine, just it was strange that harness that connects CD and radio unit (Alpine) did not have any AUX or other cables (pins 17 to 40) connected that are described here https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-A...n_pinout.shtml. Did some digging and it seems other BMW F10 actually have cables there (aux for example). Depends on accessories? So to get audio I had to plug Android unit audio out to arm rest AUX socket (did it under gear shifting panel so looks great and no loose cables dangling!).

I hoped OEM microphone wires are also there (Android harness has all cables, so I assumed device can use it). I ordered separate mic for Android, though built-in mic was decent enough that phone call was understandable
Anyway does anyone know where AUX and both microphone cables are connected? Directly to amplifier?

Last edited by Le Inc; 11-03-2020 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #35
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Inc View Post
I installed Lee Spring 10' monitor https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_. All works fine, just it was strange that harness that connects CD and radio unit (Alpine) did not have any AUX or other cables (pins 17 to 40) connected that are described here https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-A...n_pinout.shtml. Did some digging and it seems other BMW F10 actually have cables there (aux for example). Depends on accessories? So to get audio I had to plug Android unit audio out to arm rest AUX socket (did it under gear shifting panel so looks great and no loose cables dangling!).

I hoped OEM microphone wires are also there (Android harness has all cables, so I assumed device can use it). I ordered separate mic for Android, though built-in mic was decent enough that phone call was understandable
Anyway does anyone know where AUX and both microphone cables are connected? Directly to amplifier?
I think the microphone comes directly from the AMP in the trunk iirc, and both mics are powered.

Also, this may be the wrong thread for this, as this was started specifically to talk about the 12.3 AVIN HU. You may have better luck here.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #36
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I'm impressed how this turned out. Will be interested to see further impressions after more daily usage. Could be a worthwhile upgrade overall.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:42 PM   #37
Le Inc
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvntHrzn View Post
I think the microphone comes directly from the AMP in the trunk iirc, and both mics are powered.

Also, this may be the wrong thread for this, as this was started specifically to talk about the 12.3 AVIN HU. You may have better luck here.
Indeed, just my main "issue" right now is with missing wires (this should be the same with all Adnroid displays). F30/F32 have probably different wiring? I'll look into that too.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #38
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Aaaaaand...the replacement unit has the same corruption issue. It's now more likely there's something wrong with something else in my setup, maybe the wiring, I don't know.

As much as I love the way it looks, I cannot sit there every time I start the car and toggle between UIs to get it to correct itself, so I may have to go back to my other 720 non-popout AVIN unit.

EDIT: I can no longer recommend this unit. I realize that not everyone will have issues like mine, but after connecting 2 of them and they both have the same issue (in the car and on the bench), something has to be going on here. AVIN will not really let on if anyone else has encountered this issue.

Last edited by EvntHrzn; 11-05-2020 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #39
cb2004mj
Private
Rep

evnthrz I'm wondering if your having headunit issues that are affecting boot up or the correlation between the two. seems odd two units in and still the same issues. I hope I'm wrong though and you find resolution soon with it. that's has to be annoying....

on a better note, I've managed to log over 3k miles now with this unit in my dash with zero issues this far. probably 1200 of that streaming videos on youtube using phone as a hotspot(my lazy rear has yet to get a data sim for it).

also I loaded bimmerlink on it and can utilize those features on my headunit as well as xhp and make trans adaptations via the unit also. been working out well. worth the coin to me over oem.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #40
EvntHrzn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
evnthrz I'm wondering if your having headunit issues that are affecting boot up or the correlation between the two. seems odd two units in and still the same issues. I hope I'm wrong though and you find resolution soon with it. that's has to be annoying....

on a better note, I've managed to log over 3k miles now with this unit in my dash with zero issues this far. probably 1200 of that streaming videos on youtube using phone as a hotspot(my lazy rear has yet to get a data sim for it).

also I loaded bimmerlink on it and can utilize those features on my headunit as well as xhp and make trans adaptations via the unit also. been working out well. worth the coin to me over oem.

It's good to know that these units work for someone, unfortunately just not me apparently.

This is what I know so far:

- Both units show corruption in the car and out of the car (only connected to power on the workbench). So if it had something to do with my car, they should work on the bench, but they don't

- I have confirmed via SCRCPY that the units are actually still working fine in the background, it's just a display corruption, either the display itself or the display cable maybe, I don't know. On my PC via SCRCPY, it works fine even while displaying corruption at the same time on the actual unit

So I have eliminated my car and the harness as variables, so that just leaves the units themselves. I must be really unlucky to get two bad units back to back or it's something I haven't thought of.

Another note is that I have plugged in my AVIN 720p non-popout unit back various times throughout this whole thing and it works fine like it did before I replaced it. At this point it seems that I will have to go back to that unit, as much as I like the form factor of the popout.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #41
chris_mauck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 | BM3 | GTC Cat-Back

Glare?

Since the screen is now protruding, do you notice that the sun has much more glare on it or does the angle of it not allow for glare?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 11:19 PM   #42
cb2004mj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_mauck View Post
Since the screen is now protruding, do you notice that the sun has much more glare on it or does the angle of it not allow for glare?
I don't notice any real glare but I also have fully tinted windows lol. but even front windows down I can see the screen fine and you can adjust brightness up. mines usually only 30% during daytime even
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #43
chris_mauck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 | BM3 | GTC Cat-Back

Quote:
I don't notice any real glare but I also have fully tinted windows lol. but even front windows down I can see the screen fine and you can adjust brightness up. mines usually only 30% during daytime even
Lovely. How are you liking it now that you've had it for some time? Any tips or things I should know for the install or setup? Mine should be here by the end of the week. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #44
cb2004mj
Private
Rep

no complaints as of yet. only thing worth mentioning maybe if your start the car and immediately throw it in reverse before it fully boots up it sometimes leave the screen black. just wait for it to boot and touch the screen and the droid side comes right up and all is cherry. if I wait 20-30 sec for It to actually boot there's no issues. for install have trim tools and a soft rag to lay on the console to save you from scratching it up. believe you'll need a torx 25 or 27 for head unit removal.
Appreciate 0