2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding No Sound from Audio/PDC/Bongs etc - Intermittent loss

02-18-2022, 05:30 AM   #1
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 530 D M-Sport

No Sound from Audio/PDC/Bongs etc - Intermittent loss

All,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I am losing all sound intermittently (Audio/PDC/Bongs etc) got the "No warning Tones" warning on the I-drive. The really odd thing is I lost it for several weeks (and booked the car in to have it looked at next week) but it is now come back everything working again perfectly!, so a potential intermittent failure.

The only thing I did was drove 3 Journeys (70 miles plus) over 3 days when I went to the car on the 4th day everything worked fine. I have read lots of threads and most seem to conclude the H/K Amp is faulty, but how would it all suddenly work again? I guess wiring or water ingress is possible, but I was thinking could it be battery? the car previously had been standing for a week or so at a time, but I am getting no battery warnings?

My car is a 2014 530d LCI with Harmon Kardon speakers.

Any advice appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #2
Ol skool bmvee
Private
Rep
Drives: F10

Same thing has happened to me in one occurence over several days.

In my situation it happened when my car was parked immobile over a week or more during heavy rains. I noticed there was water coming in. Once i cleaned it up and drove with windows down to remove moisture, problem went away on its own.

Its been over 6 months without any further symptoms. Just make sure no water infiltration in cabin, or near amplifier.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:24 AM   #3
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol skool bmvee View Post

In my situation it happened when my car was parked immobile over a week or more during heavy rains. I noticed there was water coming in. Once i cleaned it up and drove with windows down to remove moisture, problem went away on its own.

Its been over 6 months without any further symptoms. Just make sure no water infiltration in cabin, or near amplifier.

Good luck!
Quote:

Good luck!
Ah that is interesting because the weeks before it happened we had really heavy rain over a long period. No sign of moisture in the cabin (no fogging up or anything) but of course water moisture could be getting into the boot on the left where the amp is. I guess as the exhaust runs that side it probably all gets pretty warm when the car is run plus the A/C will take out the moisture. I will see how it goes over the next couple of days.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 08:07 AM   #4
Ol skool bmvee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern321 View Post
Quote:

Good luck!
Quote:

Good luck!
Ah that is interesting because the weeks before it happened we had really heavy rain over a long period. No sign of moisture in the cabin (no fogging up or anything) but of course water moisture could be getting into the boot on the left where the amp is. I guess as the exhaust runs that side it probably all gets pretty warm when the car is run plus the A/C will take out the moisture. I will see how it goes over the next couple of days.

Thanks.
Yeah. I also opened up the rear left fender cover and tray to visually find moisture around amp. So cleaned it with a rag. And let it air dry while uncovered, trunk open.

Im sure there is a solution that as it seems typical to our models. The air trap for the rear trunk is located just in front of it, with amp laying flat. Less than ideal!

Good luck :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 04:47 AM   #5
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. I also opened up the rear left fender cover and tray to visually find moisture around amp. So cleaned it with a rag. And let it air dry while uncovered, trunk open.

Im sure there is a solution that as it seems typical to our models. The air trap for the rear trunk is located just in front of it, with amp laying flat. Less than ideal!

Thanks I also remember using a jet wash to clean the guttering around the boot lid so that probably didn't help either, will take a look at some point.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 07:12 AM   #6
Ol skool bmvee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I also remember using a jet wash to clean the guttering around the boot lid so that probably didn't help either, will take a look at some point.
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 06:01 PM   #7
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Ok so today same fault, no sound! It's been about 3 weeks working fine but today same fault, I took the boot linings out and carefully looked around the amp no dampness at all and no signs of water ingress, but it did rain heavily last night! Got me thinking about the battery again, I used "Torque pro" to monitor voltage with the ignition on it was showing 12.2 volts, start the car and it runs up to 14.7 volts so could it be low voltage at start up that doesn't allow the amp to boot up? Anyway attached is a picture with everything apart. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 07:40 PM   #8
Ol skool bmvee
Private
Rep

Ok yeah i suppose it can be a voltage thing as well. But the amp condensation issue has been well documented.

When was the last time you had your battery replaced/registered? Ive replaced mine post amp symptoms….
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 07:41 PM   #9
Ol skool bmvee
Private
Rep

Looking at your photo i see condensation around the amp. Not sure if photo blurred. But the nuts and bolts look heavily corroded which can indicate humidity to say the least!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 02:04 PM   #10
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Looking at your photo i see condensation around the amp. Not sure if photo blurred. But the nuts and bolts look heavily corroded which can indicate humidity to say the least!
Quote:
Fair point, the nuts where it bolts to the bottom of the boot are quite corroded. I guess I was looking for a "puddle" or obvious moisture, but I guess if it's exposed over months/years it's going to impact the delicate components in the amp.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2022, 05:11 AM   #11
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Battery is original I believe.

Car is booked in at BMW dealer, they disgnosed that the head unit was faulty so its being replaced next week under warranty, hopefully that will resolve it!

I guess as pairing phones etc is not happening it could be the head unit, rather than the amp. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0