2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions How To: F10 Rear Brake Disc and Pad Replacement

08-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #45
jointone
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Thanks. Great guide.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #46
dnorfolk
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

I changed my rear brake pads and had no issues that I know of. Reset the brake wear sensor on the dash, but the parking brake will not work anymore. Nothing happens at all when I try to engage it.

What did I do wrong?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #47
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorfolk View Post
I changed my rear brake pads and had no issues that I know of. Reset the brake wear sensor on the dash, but the parking brake will not work anymore. Nothing happens at all when I try to engage it.

What did I do wrong?
How did you push the piston in? If you did it manual make sure the electric ebrake plug is plugged in all the way. I did mine using ista and it worked right after I was done changing the rear brakes
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 09:18 PM   #48
dnorfolk
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ey2001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorfolk View Post

What did I do wrong?
How did you push the piston in? If you did it manual make sure the electric ebrake plug is plugged in all the way. I did mine using ista and it worked right after I was done changing the rear brakes
I did it manually. I left out above, but the auto hold is also not working now.

I did double check that the plug was in all the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #49
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

dnorfolk you're brake actuator's may have gone bad. I had one take a shit a few months ago. Do you hear them trying to engage at all? I also was getting a malfunction warning on the dash. I made a thread about it somewhere on here...

I completely replaced both units when I did my brakes a couple of months ago. Bought them for $47/ea off of Amazon. Haven't had an issue since:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #50
adumesny
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmw335 View Post
So I just changed the rear pads on my 2014 535 (F10) ....
When I tried to reset the service interval... "reset unsuccessful".

Searching on the web I found a procedure that allowed me to successfully reset as follows:

1) Disconnect the brake sensor harness inside the service door on the right rear wheel well (like you would if you replace the sensor)
2) Use a thin wire to jump the connector on the car (e.g. make it a closed circuit) where you just disconnected the harness.
3) Reset the service indicator via the odometer button on the dash.

It will now reset properly!

4) Remove the jumper wire and plug the sensor back in.
So I just changed front+back rotors+pads on my 2014 528i as well using Foxwell 510E BMW to retract the rear e-brakes (much easier than taking it appart and manually backing it up with hex bit) but I also cannot reset the service interval (also done before sensor was worn off).

I tried the steps above, using a wire to jump the plug (similar to last step shown in https://www.youcanic.com/bmw-brake-s...-unsuccessful/) but still "reset unsuccessful" - not sure how wire is any different from a good sensor with a closed circuit anyway... maybe disconnect for a while is the trick ?

I did read some errors codes related to brakes (I locked the car overnight wile still in brake retract mode ?) but clear them with the Foxwell 510E and will have to try resetting it again... car drives fine, but I have a <500mi reminder with 4 new brakes

UPDATE: did it again, this time with a thinner wire from a resistor (that I twisted to short circuit it) and was able to reset both sides after disconnecting the sensor for a while with ignition on. the Foxwell also informed that you cannot reset unless it detects a change (hence the disconnect and reconnect) but also that you need parking sensor off and not have brake pedal pressed (so block the wheel to prevent rolling). Not sure if that later part matters, but in case it helps another user...

Last edited by adumesny; 12-23-2022 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 12:53 PM   #51
adumesny
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i

Weird - 2 weeks later and car now says both brakes are -200+ mi past due and to 'drive carefully'

I reset them again (back to 60k) using steps above, but as soon as I drove it jumped down to 600mi! I'm guessing my sensor wire must have got damage during the removal as I wasn't able to reset the service internal with them but had to use a solid wire instead. So, I reset (using a wire) and left it in there - sensor were not that useful to start with as my front brake worn down to the metal on one side and the sensor (on the other pad) had plenty left - so better to check brake regularly than depend on tech!

Weird thing is now both brakes (even though I only disconneted then hard wired the front) reset to 3.1 and 3.7k !
this all BMW pad reset is a PAIN in the butt... and apprently rather flacky. wish the Foxwell 510E had a force reset intead of having the take the wheels off each time to access and disconnect the sensors. I don't even have 60k+ interval now (first change was 92k for me). Agrrr...

Last edited by adumesny; 01-21-2023 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 10:45 AM   #52
EVO_F10
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Nice, thanks!
Appreciate 0