2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum What the GT Could've and Should've Been

06-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

What the GT Could've and Should've Been

Not everyone is going to agree with me on this thread, but controversy isn't always a bad thing.

I actually don't even really like the F07 5 Series GT. Stock, I think is a rather ugly car, and that's why I own one. Weird, I know.

The 5GT was based more so off the F01 7 Series, sharing the same wheelbase and similar dimensions, as well as a few other features. I always thought the car to be a 7er fastback. However, the "geniuses" at BMW thought it would be a good idea to raise the thing a few inches higher and swell up the fenders a bit, to give a more "commanding view" of the road. That is where BMW went very wrong. I know there are going to be a few people who say "Oh I like it" and what not. Should've bought an X5 then, this isn't a truck. Another problem is the frumpy rear. BMW tried to line up the rear trunk line with the front hood line, but instead should've sloped the roofline towards the body line/crease. It would've made the car look a lot better IMHO.

Despite its flaws, there are a few things I like about the 5GT. The roofline is sleeker than the conventional 5/7, which makes it unique. The 7 Series roominess and features make the car feel more premium than the regular F10 5er.

I saw potential in the car; it just needed some effort put into it. So I took on a challenge. Sure, there are a few things I couldn't change to perfectly render the GT into a work of art. However, my current F07 550GT has come a LONG way from stock, and changed the opinions of thousands of people.

I could write a whole other thread on all modifications done and how they've improved the car, but I'll try to keep it brief here. The biggest improvement is the coilovers I have; this is actually the first GT ever on coils. (shoutout to CKS Suspension). Gone is the weird baby-SUV height of the car. It looks MUCH sleeker and handles FAR better (I've shaken off lighter, nimbler cars in the corners now). The custom Frozen Metallic Black wrap with Bronze/Silver design, shoutout to Authentic Vinyl Wrap & KPMF) have improved the aesthetics of the car and brought out the depth in its body lines. The performance modifications have woken up the N63tu V8TT, giving new Ms a run for the money (shoutout to DME Tuning). Lastly, the other modifications have come together bring out the best of the GT.

This is what I think about the new G32 6 Series GT:
Pros:
- Rear end is sleeker, roofline flows into body lines as opposed to lining up with the hood lines
- Windshield is a bit smaller
- Roof is flatter, less "bubbled" up
- The air breather doesn't look too bad, better than the recycled sidemarker present on the F07 LCI

Cons:
- Why the hell is it a 6 now? That make ZERO sense.
- Gone are the body creases, now the body lines are reminiscent of the Audi A/S/RS7, but done worse, still looks bloated
- Still slightly taller than its 5/7 counterparts, albeit a bit less now
- Not a huge fan of the front, too similar to the G30
- Who decided to debut the car in white? Dark colors suit the GT way more.
- Only comes with a I6 now, although a V8 variant will hopefully be released later on

I'm disappointed in BMW with the release of this new GT. For people who are thinking where is the new 5GT, the 6GT is it. I think fewer people would've been upset had it remained a 5 Series. I don't think the new GT is a bad looking car, but it's still worse than what it could've been. BMW, listen to someone who owns a GT next time maybe?

Going back to my car, I know many of you still probably don't like it. However, I can't say I've not been somewhat successful in turning the GT into something more eye-catching. With nearly 50,000 followers on Instagram (not bragging, I promise ), I must be doing something right, right? I have not been at one show where I have not been told "Wow, I never liked the GTs until I saw yours" by at least five people. I'm not trying to gloat, I'm trying to make a point to BMW here. The GT is a car that had potential in my eyes, and I did my best to bring out the best in it. However, even with another chance, BMW managed to still get it wrong. Not only is the new car not significantly improved over the current F07, adding +1 made it worse, not better.

TL;DR - The 5GT has potential. I modified mine to help bring the most out of it; many people seem to like it. BMW had one shot to make the GT better with the new G32. They still screwed it up.

P.S. Shoutout to @IAmHnry (IG) for the beautiful shot on the rocks.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheBlackGT; 06-14-2017 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Its not fair to compare a stock GT to your GT. Just think about that new GT with your kind of modifications (or just entry level ones). I think it would be a really nice look vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Its not fair to compare a stock GT to your GT. Just think about that new GT with your kind of modifications (or just entry level ones). I think it would be a really nice look vehicle.
I'm not being fair

On a serious not though, i'm not necessarily comparing my car to the 6GT. I'm comparing my car to the idea of what the 5/6GT should've been. For the 90% of people who don't modify cars, they shouldn't be left with a GT that needs modifications in order to look good. Like I said, a few simple changes would've made it far better, without as much need to modify to make it a nicer looking vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

To Any and All Moderators:

Please move this thread back to the General BMW Discussion. Despite being related to the F07, very little traffic comes through this section, rendering it nearly impossible to get any responses.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #5
Makiedog
Rep
Drives: 535i xdrive GT

Why don't you share your thoughts on our growing Facebook 5gt owner's group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1453355658059064/
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makiedog View Post
Why don't you share your thoughts on our growing Facebook 5gt owner's group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1453355658059064/
because there are like 5 people on there.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Your 5GT looks awesome. Surely one of a kind.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 02:36 AM   #8
mciategel
Rep
Drives: 125i MY2013, 530dXd MY 2015

I think the F07 is quite ok from a design perspective, even without mods. The only "real" issue IMO is the windscreen angle. See pics of my car attached.

The sad part of the 6GT is that BMW abandoned all features that made the F07 unique; the trunk lid, the seclusion of luggage, the special interior and door panels. Good thing is that they added full air suspension and unbroken rear side glazing.

I still believe the F07 to be the perfect mix of autobahn/alps/city/rural/cross-continent vehicle.

/M
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #9
Golfer
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530D GT

Brakes

Hi - I am thinking of changing my brakes on my 5GT - Calipers, disks, pads, brake lines, what will fit? I run 19" winter wheels and 20" summer wheels. Advice needed please. Thanks.
Appreciate 0