2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2011 N63 Rough Idle and Assorted codes

08-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
ryanjv
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: N63 F10, M42 E30, MZR BK

2011 N63 Rough Idle and Assorted codes

I was driving along about 45mph on some local roads on my way home and out of nowhere i got the popup about "drive train malfunction.. take to dealer etc"
then the car gets super rough as i'm driving. so i get into the neighborhood side roads

To give a reference of how rough, it was like trying to drive 10mph while in 5/6th gear, even though i was going about 25 in second. just felt like it was going just shut down at random. Also lost brake assist. had to really hammer down to come to a stop.

Carly wasn't working, so i used my generic reader and Torque to pull codes

P0300 Powertrain - Random /multiple cylinder misfire detected
P0301 Powertrain - Cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0302 Powertrain - Cylinder 2 misfire detected
P0304 Powertrain - Cylinder 4 misfire detected
P0340 Powertrain - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1)

P0012 Powertrain - "A" Camshaft position - Timing over retarded
P013E Powertrain -
P0365 Powertrain - Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit (Bank 1)
P13B2 Powertrain
P13B6 Powertrain

is it likely all my coils or plugs went bad on one side or is it more likely something else went wrong causing these to trigger codes

A few months earlier my car had just shut off in the middle of a drive and dealership said that one coil shorted which in turn blew the fuse for the alternator so it wouldn't start again. This coil was replaced (likely why Cylinder 3 is not showing as misfire as it was that one).
I haven't had a chance yet to go through and pull out every single engine related fuse and inspect (doesn't help that the box is so far back in the glovebox) hoping this is familiar to someone to give me a nod in the right direction

I haven't had a lot of free time to trouble shoot, hopefully this is something known, not too complicated. otherwise i may have to suck it up and go to the dealership. I've never had to take any of my cars in before this one, but this would be my 3rd time in a year.

i don't suppose this would fall under/be covered by CCP, would it?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 01:36 AM   #2
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Sounds like you may have a stretched chain based on the fact that you have cam codes along with misfire codes.
Appreciate 1
ryanjv0.00
      08-20-2019, 04:53 AM   #3
Oreen0
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted M5 View Post
Sounds like you may have a stretched chain based on the fact that you have cam codes along with misfire codes.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
ryanjv
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: N63 F10, M42 E30, MZR BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted M5 View Post
Tried the easy thing as a just in case and replaced camshaft sensor and the 3 ignition coils, and still there so looks like your right which sucks..

think i saw a bulletin on here related to stretched chains. Maybe this will fall under that
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 02:28 AM   #5
///Mate
Registered
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F10 M5, E30 325i

Hey Ryan, did you end up finding out the root cause? I've got the exact same errors, albeit for bank 2
Appreciate 0