2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N63 engine replacement question?

02-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #45
elmasry17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5 50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahone View Post
In my case my turbos were replaced along with all associated lines and gaskets. Though they chose to replace the valve guides instead of the whole engine for free. Took them 28 days.
Hey boss quick question. After they replaced the valve guides and turbos, any improved performance when driving? And did it solve the oil consumption issue? With new turbos do u feel better performance? Thanks buddy!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #46
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 550I, 07 335I,

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmasry17 View Post
Quote:
In my case my turbos were replaced along with all associated lines and gaskets. Though they chose to replace the valve guides instead of the whole engine for free. Took them 28 days.
Hey boss quick question. After they replaced the valve guides and turbos, any improved performance when driving? And did it solve the oil consumption issue? With new turbos do u feel better performance? Thanks buddy!
It's been 1600 miles since the repairs and I have not had any low oil warning and based on the gauge it has not moved either. In the past I would have gone through 4 quarts by now. It no longer gives off the puff of smoke when revving the vehicle after it's been idling. With the new turbos I have experienced better throttle response and a distinguishable improvement with lag. One real improvement is the acceleration from 70mph onwards once a shift down from 8th to 5th and throttle back up the gears. I no longer have to put it into any of the Sport modes when spirited driving is required. One thing I have done is place a bottle of lucas fuel cleaner with every full tank just to clean the combustion chamber as I was told by the BMW master mechanic that there was significant sludge on top of the engine due to all the leaks from the old turbos and the oil return housing.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #47
mtbrand
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
As soon as I saw this post, my engine just hit 132k, FML.
If you have documentation of problems, expenses related to the lawsuit, go to your local BMW dealer, you may be able to prove you had problems prior to that 131k. Our dealer in Murrieta (CA) has had our car since 11/9/18. The lawsuit includes a rental car, so I've been driving a long-term rental since then...no cost to me.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #48
elmasry17
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's been 1600 miles since the repairs and I have not had any low oil warning and based on the gauge it has not moved either. In the past I would have gone through 4 quarts by now. It no longer gives off the puff of smoke when revving the vehicle after it's been idling. With the new turbos I have experienced better throttle response and a distinguishable improvement with lag. One real improvement is the acceleration from 70mph onwards once a shift down from 8th to 5th and throttle back up the gears. I no longer have to put it into any of the Sport modes when spirited driving is required. One thing I have done is place a bottle of lucas fuel cleaner with every full tank just to clean the combustion chamber as I was told by the BMW master mechanic that there was significant sludge on top of the engine due to all the leaks from the old turbos and the oil return housing.

Wow that's awesome bro!! Congrats on solving the issues. Thats great that u have better performance for the turbo lag to go away is definitely a plus. Cant wait to get my car back feel the difference
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 02:53 AM   #49
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrand View Post
If you have documentation of problems, expenses related to the lawsuit, go to your local BMW dealer, you may be able to prove you had problems prior to that 131k. Our dealer in Murrieta (CA) has had our car since 11/9/18. The lawsuit includes a rental car, so I've been driving a long-term rental since then...no cost to me.
I can call my indy, they have service records about high oil consumption and they called the dealership to see if there was anything available at the time. I will reach out and see.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #50
elmasry17
Private
Rep

I will be getting my car back soon with new remanufactured n63 engine. Does anyone know the the n63 remanufactured engine consist of? Like when they replace the remanufactured engine will it come with new turbos etc?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #51
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will be getting my car back soon with new remanufactured n63 engine. Does anyone know the the n63 remanufactured engine consist of? Like when they replace the remanufactured engine will it come with new turbos etc?
The remanufactured engine does not come with a new set of turbos. However, if the technician identifies the failing turbos to be a source of the oil leaks or likely to cause future damage to the new engine, the gaskets and lines will be replaced or both units will be replaced as part of the repair process and potentially added to the tiered repair costs.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #52
elmasry17
Private
Rep

Quote:
The remanufactured engine does not come with a new set of turbos. However, if the technician identifies the failing turbos to be a source of the oil leaks or likely to cause future damage to the new engine, the gaskets and lines will be replaced or both units will be replaced as part of the repair process and potentially added to the tiered repair costs.
Thanks for the reply boss. So do you think i should install new turbos even if the technician didn't identified any issues? What else do u recommend that i should do since the engine is already out? Appreciate your help very much.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #53
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I have a 2010 750li with about 114k miles. The car burned a quart of oil every 150-200 miles. People would stop me on the streets and flag me down with how much smoke that thing produced. I stopped driving it and parked it because thats how bad it was and no one would take it in as a trade or even buy it.

About a month ago I took it in to dealer for the oil lawsuit. The dealer fixed the valve stems, turbos, rear main line, turbo actuators for free and I paid around 1500 to get all coolant lines replaced, water pump, thermostat, vanos solenoids, etc, etc. Some parts they bought, some I provided to them to get done at discount labor.

Picked the car up yesterday and it drives alright. Already got a low coolant alert and noticed it was a little low. Light still stays on even though coolant is full which makes me think the sensor probably went out.

Not too happy with the procedure. I don't think a 100k+ car should be needing this type of recall/notice anyway, its good BMW covered some of it but their techs don't give me much confidence in their work. The car was road tested by 5 people but the low coolant line comes on less than 100 miles later???0

In addition to that many other little issues with this car. When I stopped driving the car, it sat outside which also caused the air suspension to fail which now makes the ass sag if the car is not driven everyday.

All these things add up real quick. If I were to pay for all the fixes using the dealer we would be at nearly 35k-40k in repairs.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #54
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
I have a 2010 750li with about 114k miles. The car burned a quart of oil every 150-200 miles. People would stop me on the streets and flag me down with how much smoke that thing produced. I stopped driving it and parked it because thats how bad it was and no one would take it in as a trade or even buy it.

About a month ago I took it in to dealer for the oil lawsuit. The dealer fixed the valve stems, turbos, rear main line, turbo actuators for free and I paid around 1500 to get all coolant lines replaced, water pump, thermostat, vanos solenoids, etc, etc. Some parts they bought, some I provided to them to get done at discount labor.

Picked the car up yesterday and it drives alright. Already got a low coolant alert and noticed it was a little low. Light still stays on even though coolant is full which makes me think the sensor probably went out.

Not too happy with the procedure. I don't think a 100k+ car should be needing this type of recall/notice anyway, its good BMW covered some of it but their techs don't give me much confidence in their work. The car was road tested by 5 people but the low coolant line comes on less than 100 miles later???0

In addition to that many other little issues with this car. When I stopped driving the car, it sat outside which also caused the air suspension to fail which now makes the ass sag if the car is not driven everyday.

All these things add up real quick. If I were to pay for all the fixes using the dealer we would be at nearly 35k-40k in repairs.
Wait you didnt say if the James Bond smoke screen option still works?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #55
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wait you didnt say if the James Bond smoke screen option still works?
The oil burning is gone for now. Let's see how long it lasts. From what I've gathered the next best steps would be to install the low temperature thermostat and low temperature oil cooler valve to make the car run much cooler and extend the life of these new seals/gaskets. I was also thinking of doing oil changes every 2k with liqu moly 5w-40 oil. I use this oil on my Ms and have noticed quieter engine, cooler engine and better performance. Option B is also on the table which is to trade it in.

A funny memory to share.... one hot early summer evening we were getting bitten and eaten alive by mosquitos at a backyard bbq.This turd was parked in the back I turned it on and within minutes the intense smoking cleared the mosquitos away.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #56
Supahone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So what are your thoughts on using 0w40 euro blend synthetic oil?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #57
elmasry17
Private
Rep

Quote:
The oil burning is gone for now. Let's see how long it lasts. From what I've gathered the next best steps would be to install the low temperature thermostat and low temperature oil cooler valve to make the car run much cooler and extend the life of these new seals/gaskets. I was also thinking of doing oil changes every 2k with liqu moly 5w-40 oil. I use this oil on my Ms and have noticed quieter engine, cooler engine and better performance. Option B is also on the table which is to trade it in.

A funny memory to share.... one hot early summer evening we were getting bitten and eaten alive by mosquitos at a backyard bbq.This turd was parked in the back I turned it on and within minutes the intense smoking cleared the mosquitos away.

Wow your good!! I just asked tge master technician in bmw on using liqui moly 5w 40 on my x5 50i and he said its the best oil out there. He said you can never go wrong with liqui moly oils. He also recommend to use liqui moly ceramic coating oil once im done with the break-in engine which he recommends when i get new oil changed at 1500 miles. Im thinking to change the oil at 500 miles then at 1500 miles ill add ceramic oil liqui moly to protect the remanufactured engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #58
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wow your good!! I just asked tge master technician in bmw on using liqui moly 5w 40 on my x5 50i and he said its the best oil out there. He said you can never go wrong with liqui moly oils. He also recommend to use liqui moly ceramic coating oil once im done with the break-in engine which he recommends when i get new oil changed at 1500 miles. Im thinking to change the oil at 500 miles then at 1500 miles ill add ceramic oil liqui moly to protect the remanufactured engine.
I usually never bought into name hype and was with the school of thought that all synthetic oil is oil "oil is oil" and always used Mobil oil.

On my first m5 with the S63TU motor it burned a quart often at 700-800 miles. The car had less than 50k miles. I read and watched some videos on this liqu moly. I was skeptical. I switched to liqu moly 5w-40 the car went to burning a quart at 1500 next oil change 2000 then 2500, it kept getting better until I got rid of it.

The engine was much smoother and idle quiet. MPG had gone up too. I was shocked!

Now I only use this oil on my //Ms. will switch it to my n63 too and other cars.

Downside is that it's expensive. Mobil cost me $40-$50 at Walmart. Liqu moly easily $80-$90 and locally is very tough to find.

I would use the ceramic oil for your new remanufactured engine after you break it in properly. Do frequent oil changes 2500-3000 (maybe overkill but we know bmw) and you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #59
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:
I usually never bought into name hype and was with the school of thought that all synthetic oil is oil "oil is oil" and always used Mobil oil.

On my first m5 with the S63TU motor it burned a quart often at 700-800 miles. The car had less than 50k miles. I read and watched some videos on this liqu moly. I was skeptical. I switched to liqu moly 5w-40 the car went to burning a quart at 1500 next oil change 2000 then 2500, it kept getting better until I got rid of it.

The engine was much smoother and idle quiet. MPG had gone up too. I was shocked!

Now I only use this oil on my //Ms. will switch it to my n63 too and other cars.

Downside is that it's expensive. Mobil cost me $40-$50 at Walmart. Liqu moly easily $80-$90 and locally is very tough to find.

I would use the ceramic oil for your new remanufactured engine after you break it in properly. Do frequent oil changes 2500-3000 (maybe overkill but we know bmw) and you should be good.
this is good to know! liqui moly
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:31 AM   #60
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So what are your thoughts on using 0w40 euro blend synthetic oil?
I'm not too sure about that oil for these cars. I've only used Mobil and Liqu Moly.

At the end of the day as long as you do frequent oil changes that's really what's important. Everything else is like politics.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #61
AfterByrner
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport - White/Red

Lots of great info here. Two questions..

If I purchase a 750i today with an N63 that has 35,000 miles as the second owner, will I be eligible for an engine replacement or free repair if the car fails the tests?

Also, have the replacement engines resolved the issue or will they have the same problem at some point?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #62
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterByrner View Post
Lots of great info here. Two questions..

If I purchase a 750i today with an N63 that has 35,000 miles as the second owner, will I be eligible for an engine replacement or free repair if the car fails the tests?

Also, have the replacement engines resolved the issue or will they have the same problem at some point?
What year is the car? Later models had an updated engine (N63TU) which is not covered under the lawsuit and which should be more reliable. Judging by the mileage you cite, the car may have this newer engine. A VIN decode would also tell you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #63
AfterByrner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
What year is the car? Later models had an updated engine (N63TU) which is not covered under the lawsuit and which should be more reliable. Judging by the mileage you cite, the car may have this newer engine. A VIN decode would also tell you.
Good to know. Thanks! The one I'm most interested is 2013. I have looked into 2012 and some 2014.

Looks like the 7 got the N63TU in June of 2012.

Would still like to know about eligibility if I do go with a car with the N63.

Are the replacement engines form BMW the N63TU. How's the reliability on the replacements?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #64
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are the replacement engines form BMW the N63TU. How's the reliability on the replacements?
The program is relatively new so I'm not sure if there's enough data out there to say for sure.

Even on the original N63 engines there was a lot of variability in outcomes. Anecdotally, I was talking with an associate the other day who had an X5 with the N63 and she ran it to over 200k before somebody rear-ended her and it was totaled. She said she had to do the valve stem seals after 100k miles, but otherwise it was OK.

If I had one with a replacement engine, I don't think I'd worry too much in the short term. Likely that you'd start having other headaches before the new engine starts acting up (electronics, actuators, etc. )
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #65
AfterByrner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
The program is relatively new so I'm not sure if there's enough data out there to say for sure.

Even on the original N63 engines there was a lot of variability in outcomes. Anecdotally, I was talking with an associate the other day who had an X5 with the N63 and she ran it to over 200k before somebody rear-ended her and it was totaled. She said she had to do the valve stem seals after 100k miles, but otherwise it was OK.

If I had one with a replacement engine, I don't think I'd worry too much in the short term. Likely that you'd start having other headaches before the new engine starts acting up (electronics, actuators, etc. )
Yeah, lots of hit or miss I'm finding. So as a second or third owner, would I be eligible for replacement if the N63 fails the test? Haven't seen much said about that.

All these failed engines have me leaning towards the 740li. I really wanted the V8.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #66
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, lots of hit or miss I'm finding. So as a second or third owner, would I be eligible for replacement if the N63 fails the test? Haven't seen much said about that.

All these failed engines have me leaning towards the 740li. I really wanted the V8.
I wouldn't let the N63TU scare you too much. Look at relatively recent models and get a thorough pre-purchase inspection. After market warranties are also available to help protect against catastrophic failure if you're so inclined. Just go in with your eyes open that you're getting a $100k+ car for a huge discount and part of the cost is anticipated maintenance. If you buy a used one for $25k vs. $100k new, you're going to have issues, but you're likely not going to spend $75k on repairs ..
Appreciate 0