2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Xhd trans tune?

04-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #133
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Interesting...I have BMS pedal tune and still trying to wrap my head around how that would/wouldn't play with the MHD linear option. Sounds like BMS could already be messing up with XHP, although it's felt great to me...
I'm trying to wrap my head around why you'd want MHD linear, then add BMS pedal. (that sounds more confrontational than I intend it to).

Personally, I'd ditch the pedal tune. Making you think your car is faster because 30%->75%? No thanks.

MHD linear is really nice for me. With the stage 1 OTS power gain, I find that the throttle action isn't that much different than stock, just that the last 50% is still even faster. I love it.

I tried xHP tonight - doesn't work properly on my car. A lot of what's in the 2.0 map update (see all that mention of non-DEC cars?) I believe is because of me.

I flashed xHP and I can see their improved shift points (e.g. RPM vs. throttle angle) but every shift is now the slowest, smoothest, mushiest program. Same for D,S,M, and for stage 1/2/3. I *DID* notice that the TC action is much nicer. I did some neighbourhood four way stops on xHP Stage 2 and it "launches" way nicer. No pause-then-lurch etc...

Fortunately a flash back to stock map and I have better shifting again. I didn't have to uninstall xHP altogether. I've contacted them and we'll see what I get. Since it's just the map and not the code, I'm presuming it can get fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #134
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

First, you not supposed to use linear flash option if you have Automatic.
Second, if you have xHP you not suppose to use it either since you are Automatic.

This comes straight from Clemens Muehlbacher from xHP.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #135
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBF10 View Post
So probably recommended to use xhp if you have an actually ecu tune, not a piggy back system then.
Pointless on JB4 because xHP calculates how much line pressure to provide depending on what ECU tells the TCU (based on PSI and torque figures that ECU sends to TCU). With JB4 ECU doesn't know exact PSI as it is fooled.

In my experience, when I had JB4 and installed xHP all I got was drive malfunctions like crazy. Now I am on MHD and its flawless.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #136
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Not confrontational, I hear you.

I got the pedal tune before mhd linear came out. There's plenty of outside thread on the merits and misconceptions of bms/Sprintbooster so I won't digress here and only say I'm in the camp of pedal tune lovahs.

That being said, I'm going to play with linear and turn off the pedal tune and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #137
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
First, you not supposed to use linear flash option if you have Automatic.
Second, if you have xHP you not suppose to use it either since you are Automatic.

This comes straight from Clemens Muehlbacher from xHP.
Is that response for me?

I'm not understanding it at all. I've seen nothing from MHD saying linear is MT only. MHD asks you at the outset what trans option (8AT, 8AT with torque limit workarounds, MT/xHP) and still offers linear.

I've been in communication with Clemens too (for months). He says my issue encountered last night is because I retrofitted paddles by VO coding 2TB and because I'm lacking a DEC switch that's not a condition for a factory car. On the other hand, the factory trans mapping works fine with decently fast shifts in M. I will be coding my 2TB back to 205 to explore how whether that's a fix.

At the moment, linear throttle is working great pre-xHP. I notice nothing undesirable with factory transmission firmware and maps. We'll see what happens if/when I get xHP working. I'll switch between linear and normal, although I really want linear as my permanent option.

I agree that linear throttle mapping could be problem for xHP. (FWIW, I only saw that text in the last day or so even though I thought I had read everything about xHP this winter). I believe over-active throttle mapping would be worse for xHP, where more torque is generated for less throttle position. It won't want to downshift or hold gear etc... Linear would make it gear down or hold gear longer, you'd think. Furthermore, what I've noticed in a couple of weeks with MHD in linear mode is that it drives just like stock. I get stock-like response and torque up to about 50%-60% throttle, and then there's even more torque from the tune available at even great throttle inputs where stock mapping did nothing extra except move the pedal. If xHP is "tune neutral", the first half of the throttle pedal should be just like "untuned". Anyways, I'm rambling, and don't pretend to know the inside workings of the code or maps.

Last edited by Surly73; 04-04-2019 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #138
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Using both xHP and Sprintbooster together.. I can tell you, it works perfectly together. It just feels like Sprintbooster with very fast shifting, all shift points etc are perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #139
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I recoded EGS GWS ICM and KOMBI to put 2TB back to 205 and check on some FDL values in SZL to hopefully preserve my paddles. I reflashed MHD stage 1 to remove linear throttle from any testing results. I reflashed xHP stage 2 OTS

Definitely working now. I feel a lurch in faster M shifts but I also haven't given it the 50 miles or so recommended for adaptation. The less aggressive shift types are faster and smooth enough. The faster "fart shifts" are really fast but have the lurch. It lurches both ways - meaning a deceleration lurch and acceleration lurch. I haven't been giving it much power In this phase.

I will let it adapt and continue to observe. Torque converter behaves much better still giving a better "launch" (ie when you slip the clutch from a stop on MT).

I want my linear throttle back. Will inquire with xHP and perhaps just try it out after the lurch is smoothed out.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #140
jooobi3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive

Hey guys so to dig up an old thread. But, I'm running into some problem. I have a MHD Stage 2 + and XHP Stage 2. However, the car is clunky when upshifting while the gas is down. This shouldn't be normal I assumed. I have reflashed my MHD to work with XHP 3 and 6th gear fixed. Does anyone have this same problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:37 AM   #141
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthxbai View Post
Hey guys so to dig up an old thread. But, I'm running into some problem. I have a MHD Stage 2 + and XHP Stage 2. However, the car is clunky when upshifting while the gas is down. This shouldn't be normal I assumed. I have reflashed my MHD to work with XHP 3 and 6th gear fixed. Does anyone have this same problem?
You'll need to be more specific. I am having some issues that I'm planning to report. I have MHD Stage 1 + XHP Stage 2.

What modes are you in when it's "clunky"? Or is it all of them? What does "clunky" mean? How long has it been since you flashed XHP? Was sufficient adaptation allowed with light driving and lots of coasting? When was your last fluid+pan change on the transmission?

My issue has been reducing, but isn't gone. My 535xi has no DEC switch, meaning that I have no COMFORT/SPORT switch or modes to go along with it. I believe that means that in XHP's world I get the whole range of aggressiveness from most people's D/Normal in D to M/Sport+ in M. Not sure (and the XHP guys frankly blow me off when I asked how they mapped things. They had to release maps 2.0 to support non-DEC cars.)

I've only had problems in M. The problem seems to be in the power cut during the shift. I get lots of really smooth shifts that seem perfect. Many of them are a little bumpy and XHP says they're expected to be - factory firmware cars in M/Sport+ with Sport AT can be too. Sometimes it feels like I ran over something large. Sometimes there's a 0.5-1s gap in power. Once (only once) I pulled the upshift lever and all power cut until I lifted the throttle and selected another gear.

The bad shifts are few a far between since allowing full adaptation. Maybe one every couple of days. I'll be dusting off my old thread with XHP to report this. Behaviour has been flawless in D and S from what I can tell. I have no CEL, no DTM and ISTA+ shows all ECUs are free of codes.

Last edited by Surly73; 05-30-2019 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #142
jooobi3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Quote:
You'll need to be more specific. I am having some issues that I'm planning to report. I have MHD Stage 1 + XHP Stage 2.

What modes are you in when it's "clunky"? Or is it all of them? What does "clunky" mean? How long has it been since you flashed XHP? Was sufficient adaptation allowed with light driving and lots of coasting? When was your last fluid+pan change on the transmission?

My issue has been reducing, but isn't gone. My 535xi has no DEC switch, meaning that I have no COMFORT/SPORT switch or modes to go along with it. I believe that means that in XHP's world I get the whole range of aggressiveness from most people's D/Normal in D to M/Sport+ in M. Not sure (and the XHP guys frankly blow me off when I asked how they mapped things. They had to release maps 2.0 to support non-DEC cars.)

I've only had problems in M. The problem seems to be in the power cut during the shift. I get lots of really smooth shifts that seem perfect. Many of them are a little bumpy and XHP says they're expected to be - factory firmware cars in M/Sport+ with Sport AT can be too. Sometimes it feels like I ran over something large. Sometimes there's a 0.5-1s gap in power. Once (only once) I pulled the upshift lever and all power cut until I lifted the throttle and selected another gear.

The bad shifts are few a far between since allowing full adaptation. Maybe one every couple of days. I'll be dusting off my old thread with XHP to report this. Behaviour has been flawless in D and S from what I can tell. I have no CEL, no DTM and ISTA+ shows all ECUs are free of codes.
I'm currently on my break right now and I won't be able to write a full report on it. But my symptom is when accelerating and upshift soon at the same time. There seems to be a power cut for a blitz second. Sounds like the car is choking almost when power is apply with upshifting. I contacted xhp I will log this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:28 PM   #143
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

Quote:
I'm currently on my break right now and I won't be able to write a full report on it. But my symptom is when accelerating and upshift soon at the same time. There seems to be a power cut for a blitz second. Sounds like the car is choking almost when power is apply with upshifting. I contacted xhp I will log this issue.
Mine has this issue. But im not on the trans flash. Im just on bm3. Never had tranny flash.
I still havent had time to log so i havent figured out my problem
Maybe someone in socal la area can help me log
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:04 PM   #144
88atlas07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

So would this flash lock out gears so that it doesn't up-shift automatically at redline? That's the biggest complaint I have with the trans, Id like to be able to lock gears out from time to time. Also I just have sport, not sport + given that its a '14 model year
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:52 AM   #145
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Even more description is needed.

If you're on "full aggressive", there can absolutely be a "bump" felt during the shift. There are power cuts during every shift, of every type - the method chosen depends on the shift program, and Sport+/M shifts use the most aggressive.

If you have an exhaust fitted, you can really hear the difference. The more aggressive programs make a fart sound during the shift. If you have stock exhaust, maybe it sounds like a choke. I have an MPE. Lots of other cars with similar transmissions and sport option exhausts do the same - Audi, Porsche, Jag. You've probably heard it before, maybe not from your own car.

The issue is whether it's a bump or clunk you feel, or if it feels like you ran over a typewriter and it throws everyone forward. That's the one that's abnormal, and I've even had full one second power cuts.

I think XHP has an issue they need to tune out, but it's only once in a while for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #146
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88atlas07 View Post
So would this flash lock out gears so that it doesn't up-shift automatically at redline? That's the biggest complaint I have with the trans, Id like to be able to lock gears out from time to time. Also I just have sport, not sport + given that its a '14 model year
I think that's a Sport+ and Stage 3 thing. I've never tested redline with my non-DEC, MHD Stage 1, XHP Stage 2.

I'm not sure that '14 model year has anything to do with whether you have Sport+. It has to do with whether your car has 2TB sport auto transmission option from the factory. Check your option list - 2TB or 205?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #147
88atlas07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

Quote:
I think that's a Sport+ and Stage 3 thing. I've never tested redline with my non-DEC, MHD Stage 1, XHP Stage 2.

I'm not sure that '14 model year has anything to do with whether you have Sport+. It has to do with whether your car has 2TB sport auto transmission option from the factory. Check your option list - 2TB or 205?
Car came with the 205 transmission option. Ill look into it and see, will probably flash the trans anyway
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 01:38 PM   #148
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88atlas07 View Post
Car came with the 205 transmission option. Ill look into it and see, will probably flash the trans anyway
The 205 is the reason you don't have Sport+ - nothing to do with your model year. You could VO code 2TB instead of 205 and get Sport+. Not sure it's worth the bother.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #149
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I have 2015 535xi M-sport and I had only MHD stage 1 tune installed and I thought that the car was vastly better than the stock. Recently MHD released support for XHP, so I updated the MHD app, reflashed stage 1 tune which now provided me an option to use XHP flash, then I've selected XHP option and re-flashed MHD stage 1 tune.

Then I flashed transmission using XHP Stage 3 maps and the initial flash went much faster, initial backup was done in 4-5 min, not 20 min like their website states (I've verified that the backup file was actually created) and 1-2 min for TCU flashing.

All I can say that the car now drives unbelievable, especially in the Sport+ mode, it selects the gear with the highest RPM possible to always provide most torque, it is clearly designed for the track.
I always drive in the Sport mode which is plenty aggressive, the car shifts gears instantly and the best part is that turbo lag has decreased by about 50% (at least that is what it feels like). If you flash TCU with XHP Stage 3 maps, Sport+ will activate Stage 3, Sport mode will activate Stage 2 and Comfort Stage 1, so you have all stages always available just by changing the mode, without additional flashing.
XHP has downshifts with rev matching which provides great audible experience along with upshift sounds that MHD has introduced and to best experience them you really need to straightpipe your exhaust or use cutouts (what I have). With some exhaust burble (MHD option) it provides a feel of driving high end sport or exotic car.

I am very happy with the performance improvement considering that all gains are done using the software. I have installed metal charge pipe which MHD recommends for stage 1 maps and that is the only hardware change on the engine.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #150
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzz View Post
XHP has downshifts with rev matching which provides great audible experience along with upshift sounds that MHD has introduced and to best experience them you really need to straightpipe your exhaust or use cutouts (what I have). With some exhaust burble (MHD option) it provides a feel of driving high end sport or exotic car.
Stock firmware has downshifts with rev match too, at least on my 2011 535. So that's not a new feature in XHP for us.

"Upshift sounds" were not introduced by either flash. My non-sport 535, which also doesn't have DEC (no sport/comfort switch) had three distinct shift programs in the factory tuning. I have an MPE so they were clearly audible.

1/ typical automatic sound - very smooth, slushing from gear to gear
2/ distinct shift with a power cut - sounded like a good driver shifting a manual transmission. Acceleration on throttle sound, lift, acceleration resumes in next gear.
3/ fart shift - most DSG/DCT/sequential transmission cars sound like this. No break in acceleration or cut in exhaust volume. BRAP!, next gear.

In stock tune with 205 AT option and no DEC you'd see 1&2 in D depending on how hard you were accelerating. You'd see mostly 2&3 in M depending on how hard you were accelerating. I have not driven a 2TB SAT equipped car with an exhaust you can really hear so I have no personal observations.

With XHP Stage 2 they've remapped shift points and shift programs to be more aggressive. From observation I'm not sure if there's a 4th type of shift or if it's just a really aggressive type 3 that's used when accelerating briskly. For instance I can get type 3 shifts in D with XHP if you're accelerating hard - stock firmware would NEVER do that in D, even WOT, but would in S. In M mode, every upshift is a type 3, even at 5% throttle. With stock firmware I used to have to be 40%+ throttle to get a type 3 in M.

XHP has also done an excellent job remapping shift points and programs in all modes, including D/Comfort, to move the car around a little more "engaged" with the driver and respond faster to throttle inputs.

I have really only one problem, which I've mentioned, that I'd like sorted out. Otherwise XHP is highly recommended.
Appreciate 1
jooobi377.50
      06-06-2019, 12:23 AM   #151
Bav@Heart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Why hasn't anyone made a video? I'm on the fence.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #152
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bav@Heart View Post
There are videos out there - google. Mostly for F30 8HP, lots for the 6HP cars. The problem is they don't really show you the difference, and can't communicate "feel". Videos never really sold me on it, tbh.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #153
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bav@Heart View Post
There are videos out there - google. Mostly for F30 8HP, lots for the 6HP cars. The problem is they don't really show you the difference, and can't communicate "feel". Videos never really sold me on it, tbh.
So would you recommend ?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #154
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonobro View Post
So would you recommend ?
Scroll up a couple of posts