2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications G Plus F10 Intercooler

08-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #89
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

I got VRSF FMIC and pure stage 2. The car doesn't pick power on stop light if I smash the accelerator all the way. Car moves like it has no power till 5mph than shoots like mofo. No other lag. If none of you guys have experience this lag with ps2 and bigger FMIC than I need to check my connections but even my tuner said that you will experience this lag from dead stop. Using launch control hold rpm at 3k and letting go off the brake does not produce the issue.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #90
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
I got VRSF FMIC and pure stage 2. The car doesn't pick power on stop light if I smash the accelerator all the way. Car moves like it has no power till 5mph than shoots like mofo. No other lag. If none of you guys have experience this lag with ps2 and bigger FMIC than I need to check my connections but even my tuner said that you will experience this lag from dead stop. Using launch control hold rpm at 3k and letting go off the brake does not produce the issue.
That is normal, it is how a turbo operates. The car idles at around 800-900rpm, depending on load, so you're making pretty much zero boost. You hitting 5mph just happens to coincide for when the boost starts to really pick up.

Launch control solves this issue by bypassing the low end with your brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
No. I saw that thread. I think his issue was related to his install

I was referring to another thread where a member upgraded his turbos to Pure2 and with the Wagner IC he noticed a bit of lag. I believe he resolved the issue. I was asking a clarification if us guys with stock turbos and an upgraded IC would notice lag?
I haven't noticed any increased lag. From a physics stand point, yes, lag will increase, simply due to the turbo needing to fill up a larger volume. But the difference is so minimal that pretty much only computers will pick up on it.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #91
ziekxq
Major
Rep

I figured that is what's happening but wanted to verify. I wonder if better intake system like the one showtime is running would help resolve this issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #92
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I figured that is what's happening but wanted to verify. I wonder if better intake system like the one showtime is running would help resolve this issue.
Waste of money. Intakes are pretty much just audio mods. They don't affect spool time because why would it? A turbo is powered by exhaust gasses. There's no point in having the ability to pull in more air if you don't have the power to actually pull it in.

If you're genuinely bothered by the .1s of lag you get, I guess you can supercharge the car. It'll cost you more than what the car is worth, but it'll give you low end torque to fill in for the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #93
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Waste of money. Intakes are pretty much just audio mods. They don't affect spool time because why would it? A turbo is powered by exhaust gasses. There's no point in having the ability to pull in more air if you don't have the power to actually pull it in.

If you're genuinely bothered by the .1s of lag you get, I guess you can supercharge the car. It'll cost you more than what the car is worth, but it'll give you low end torque to fill in for the turbo.
It is def. more than .1s lag lol more like one full second.

Wouldn't it pull more air quicker via intake to help spool the turbo quicker?

Right now our car intake system goes around the engine bay but what showtime got is basically kidney grill to turbo intake setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #94
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It is def. more than .1s lag lol more like one full second.

Wouldn't it pull more air quicker via intake to help spool the turbo quicker?

Right now our car intake system goes around the engine bay but what showtime got is basically kidney grill to turbo intake setup.
I know its more than .1s, I'm exaggerating it to make a point. Its so small that only the driver would ever notice.

As for the intake, it depends on the intake. I thought you were referencing OEM replacement intakes (KW, AFE, etc), which keep the factory routing. Showtime's setup definitely can decrease spool time because the air in general just has a shorter distance to travel and no bends to contend with. It'll avoid a tiny degree of heat soak compared to the original piping, but not by much. Air moving that quickly through the intake won't have time to heat up much, air sucks at absorbing heat from its surroundings.

There's also trade offs. He robs airflow from the radiator, and in turn the intercooler which sits behind the radiator. This will affect both coolant temps and IAT's, which means less power overall over a sustained period of time. He hasn't done much empirical testing of the setup either, which means you're kind of going in blind and just trusting what he says. $575 is a lot of money for an issue that is completely eradicated by launch control.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #95
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:

Wouldn't you think having an intake will allow the engine to breathe more efficiently?or would a drop in K&N filter suffice?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #96
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn't you think having an intake will allow the engine to breathe more efficiently?or would a drop in K&N filter suffice?
Even drop in filters barely make a dent.

Where would the efficiency come from? OEM replacement intakes don't actually alter airflow all that much, they're mostly for sound. A turbo inlet is only so big, and BMW designed the ducting to be able to efficiently feed that turbo. Keep in the mind, the engine doesn't directly breath with the outside. It "inhales" through the turbo, so it'll only breathe as efficiently as the turbo allows it.

Direct intakes, as I've taken to calling them, like the one showtime has do have an impact, but that's due to shorter travel distance and elimination of bends. And also come with distinct downsides.

Personally, I think intakes is pretty much snake oil for our cars. There's so many other places that you can get power from (headers, turbo, fueling, meth, exhaust, etc)
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #97
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update! What did you do about the bent coupler? Will that cause a leak under boost? Does the car run cooler? I'm wondering it they have an aftermarket radiators for the F10 and I don't mean OEM. Rather aluminum radiator
Revisiting this because I got a little curious as well myself, given mine came with a small dent on the cold side. Mine wasn't flat like the one posted, it was more like someone took a chisel to the end of the coupler and gave it a wack.

The part number that connects to the cold side of the intercooler is 13717582314 and hot side is 13717583728, both LCI and pre LCI cars. Both have an o-ring at roughly the same spot if you look at some pictures. Its seated right where the connection's neck starts to narrow. Meaning, the o-ring will be seated at the base of the narrow section of the coupler. So unless the deformation is runs really far in, you won't run into issues. Hope that settles the fears of some people.

Of course, demand a new item if it comes damaged. You shouldn't be accepting new goods damaged. But if you're impatient like me and cba'd to ship it back, if the damage is minor, it won't cause leaks.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #98
MOBF10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

old thread bump.

Anyone who ordered the GPlus still using it without any issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #99
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Several of us are and it seems this is the exact same thing as the wagner.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 2
MOBF10171.00
      07-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #100
TaskoModz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 535i

Anyone knows where I can get the brackets and screws for this ? I heard a tip to contact Wagner but they want me to verify my nanocode on my Wagner clone . When all I asked is for the mounting hardware that I’m willing to pay for ? Anyone has a spare set lol? Willing to ship to me. PayPal ready lol
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 10:20 PM   #101
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
I've had the Gplus intercooler on since the beginning of March. No issues so far, and I've done a few thousand miles on it. Seems to be decent quality. Time will tell!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #102
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaskoModz View Post
Anyone knows where I can get the brackets and screws for this ? I heard a tip to contact Wagner but they want me to verify my nanocode on my Wagner clone . When all I asked is for the mounting hardware that I’m willing to pay for ? Anyone has a spare set lol? Willing to ship to me. PayPal ready lol
Just contact the ebay seller you bought it from.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #103
TaskoModz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 535i

Quote:
Just contact the ebay seller you bought it from.
Brought it on amazon and they said their out of stock and won’t let me know a ETA on when they could send me one. Even message the eBay seller “yellowspeed” and same results
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #104
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBF10 View Post
old thread bump.

Anyone who ordered the GPlus still using it without any issues?
I have it for about 10 months and it has been working just fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #105
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Fellow member here also received his Gplus IC with no brackets. He was offered a discount and has a buddy helping him make some brackets. Not sure if he got them done tho. As far as mine it's still sitting on my garage shelf collecting dust lol
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:57 PM   #106
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Fellow member here also received his Gplus IC with no brackets. He was offered a discount and has a buddy helping him make some brackets. Not sure if he got them done tho. As far as mine it's still sitting on my garage shelf collecting dust lol
I'd love to see your feedback when you put it on! Not sure about OH but here in OK I'm getting 100*+ afternoon commutes and boy am I happy to not be on the stocker IC!