2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum In market for 2016 550 xdrive

08-11-2019, 12:42 AM   #1
Jasbains78
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 535

In market for 2016 550 xdrive

I am in market for 2016 550. I am in the US, and will be buying a CPO, with less than 30k miles. I have read the concerns with n63 engine, also my research shows that 2016 has the n63t engine, and looks like majority of the issues were fixed with the n63t engine.

Wanted to confirm with you guys- 1- is my research correct, that indeed the majority of the issues were fixed in the 2016 model year? 2) any current owners of 2016 550, can you share your experiences with the car? Any lingering issues with thw 2016 n63t engine?

Thanks in advance for all your help !!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
yakattack
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wikipedia has a summary of the changes:

In 2012, a "Technical Update" was applied to the N63, resulting in the N63TU variants (also known as N63B44O1). The main upgrade was the addition of Valvetronic.[5][6] Other changes include revised turbochargers, removal of the blowoff valve, lighter pistons, forged connecting rods and crankshaft, addition of a valve cover labyrinth oil catch/return system, new valve stem seals, revised fuel system and addition of a second coolant pump.[4]

When I was researching N63t (N63TU) 2 years ago I didn't find any failed engine threads, while you won't have to try hard to find them for N63. Valve seals also appear not to be an issue and seem to last for 100k+, while N63 owners were having to replace them every 30 minutes. You also get a nice performance increase . Slow oil consumption overtime is an issue with the N63TU, from what I've read most owners need to add 1 quart every 2-4k miles (myself included).

I bought my 2014 550 about 2 years ago which has the N63TU, and after researching at the time I did not have any concerns with owning the car, and still do not today now at 75,000 miles. So far it's only needed standard maintenance: annual oil changes, brake fluid change, and spark plugs at 60k miles. Many people will mistakingly categorize F10 550s with N63/N63TU together, so be sure to dig deeper when you see a "550s are bad" thread. Of course, do your own research and to come to own conclusion because ultimately you are the one who needs to be comfortable owning the vehicle.

Also since you also mentioned X-Drive, mine is RWD as I didn't want X-Drive. I'm not sure if X-Drive has any concerns/issues but you might want to read up on that topic as well. Good luck

Last edited by yakattack; 08-11-2019 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
Jasbains78
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburblium View Post
Wikipedia has a summary of the changes:

In 2012, a "Technical Update" was applied to the N63, resulting in the N63TU variants (also known as N63B44O1). The main upgrade was the addition of Valvetronic.[5][6] Other changes include revised turbochargers, removal of the blowoff valve, lighter pistons, forged connecting rods and crankshaft, addition of a valve cover labyrinth oil catch/return system, new valve stem seals, revised fuel system and addition of a second coolant pump.[4]

When I was researching N63t (N63TU) 2 years ago I didn't find any failed engine threads, while you won't have to try hard to find them for N63. Valve seals also appear not to be an issue and seem to last for 100k+, while N63 owners were having to replace them every 30 minutes. You also get a nice performance increase . Slow oil consumption overtime is an issue with the N63TU, from what I've read most owners need to add 1 quart every 2-4k miles (myself included).

I bought my 2014 550 about 2 years ago which has the N63TU, and after researching at the time I did not have any concerns with owning the car, and still do not today now at 75,000 miles. So far it's only needed standard maintenance: annual oil changes, brake fluid change, and spark plugs at 60k miles. Many people will mistakingly categorize F10 550s with N63/N63TU together, so be sure to dig deeper when you see a "550s are bad" thread. Of course, do your own research and to come to own conclusion because ultimately you are the one who needs to be comfortable owning the vehicle.

Also since you also mentioned X-Drive, mine is RWD as I didn't want X-Drive. I'm not sure if X-Drive has any concerns/issues but you might want to read up on that topic as well. Good luck
Thank you for the detailed response. Very much appreciated. Re: the oil consumption issue, is that something that one has to live with, or is ther a fix from BMW for that?

Just curious, do you carry warranty on your vehicle? I am planning to get one and lot of people on the forum recommend to carry one, though they were mostly n63 owners....

Thank you again
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #4
yakattack
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oil consumption must be greater than 1 quart per 750 miles for BMW to take action. If you have less consumption, you will need to live with it. The car does have an electronic dipstick which constantly takes measurements, it will notify you when oil needs to be added.

The car is out of warranty. I did purchase the car CPO, and it came with a 1 year warranty, but that has been expired for close to a year now.

Last edited by yakattack; 08-12-2019 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

I have a 2016 550i. I bought it as a CPO with about 34k miles and it now has ~ 45k miles. It's been great. A leaky oil pan was fixed under warranty but other than that and a few nits I picked when I first got it the car hasn't needed anything special beyond maintenance (I have been doing oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals).

Mine goes through some oil too - about 1 quart every 1.5k - 2k miles. Hasn't been a big deal and since they did a full check and corrected the oil pan I'm not worried about it.

My father has a 2015 550i (also the N63TU) and his has been reliable too. His uses a little less oil than mine, so not all engines are the same.

I'm not sure how long I will keep the car once the CPO expires in 2021, but so far I'm really enjoying the experience. I really like this LCI F10 5 series. My 2016 M-Sport feels tight and fun to drive. It's no sports car given the size and weight, but it accelerates, handles, and sticks way better than you might expect for such a comfortable commuter and is genuinely fun as an everyday driver. Fuel economy has been stellar for a 445hp V8 - I'm getting 25+ mpg on the way to work and back and about 21.5 overall including stop start driving in our local area.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Also worth mentioning that the technology is pretty good in these, especially for an older design. The navigation, traffic, entertainment options, phone integration, and in-car data services are all carefully thought out and well executed. I can even have the car read me my emails and text messages and dictate replies (BMW uses Nuance/Dragon for this) with very high accuracy.
Appreciate 0