2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 HPFP or other culprit?

08-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
autobimmer
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

F10 HPFP or other culprit?

Hi everyone,

Would like some feedback and suggestions if anyone has had experience with this in the past. I have a 2011 535i auto with 112km on it. It has always been maintained and taken care of since the start. This is the first time i'm having any sort of real issue with it and it began when the Fuel Supply and Drivetrain Malfunction warnings came up last week. The car started rough and was shaking violently before it stalled. After 5 mins I started the car and drove home without any issues.

An hour after i got home I tried driving to my mechanic and the car would crank, start then stall again. In the past couple weeks I did experience some small misfires and rough idle. Sometimes when I would start the engine I would have a rough startup but not all the time. Spark plugs and coils were replaced about 20k ago.

My mechanic originally said that the he "successfully" diagnosed that it was the control module/unit for the fuel pump that was burnt due to overheating. I replaced it and programmed it and still had the issue.

I later ran tests and the fuel pump failed every test plan. Nothing came up to spec every time. The fuel pump wasn't even activating when testing.

Now my question is, how can I be sure that it is indeed the HPFP? Is there any way I can check the fuel rail pressure sensor or connection? Would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!
Appreciate 0