2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 6WA Changing from kph to mph

10-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
OldToby
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Forgive me if this has been discussed before (I suspect it has, but my search skills are subnormal), but I'm thinking of buying a Canadian-market F10 and importing it to the US. The car has a 6WA cluster but the analog speedometer shows only kilometers per hour, and obviously I need miles per hour. I see that the swap is a pretty easy process: all I need to do is pull the old cluster out and install a US-spec, virginized cluster. At this point things get murky for my old-school, analog brain. Do I need to code the new cluster to reflect existing mileage, or will it do this automatically? If I do need to code it, can I do that with my Carly (I suspect not) or does it require some more "technical" coding process? If the latter, is this something I can arrange to have done remotely? Are there other changes that need to be made when going from Canadian-spec to US-spec clusters?

Any assistance or links to relevant threads would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
Fly335dguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535dx M-Sport

There's a programming option for digital mph to add to your KM cluster. Find someone that does remote coding or buy through Bimmertech.

Then, if you want to upgrade to a mph cluster, go with the 6WB.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0