2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum What's your coilover damper setup?

10-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

What's your coilover damper setup?

I'm curious what other peoples coilover damper setup are and what brand are you using (BC, Megan, CKS, etc.). Let's say starting from full hard, how many clicks do you adjust down to soft. My setup are 19 clicks up front and 14 clicks rear. Lowered with no finger gap between tire and fender.

I've been comfortable riding on this setup for years now so i want to test a new setup. Let share your setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Silvers neomaxx for xDrive. 4 from full firm on front, full firm on rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

KWv3

I installed with a relatively "high" ride height of about 1 finger gap (lowered around 1.25").

I started with KW's recommended rebound 9 clicks compression 6 clicks. After driving around for a couple of weeks I took 2 more clicks out of compression front and rear and that's how I've still left it.

As winter approaches I'm wondering if I should have made more time for some optimal tuning. Based on my research to date, there is one correct "rebound" setting for the car, occupant weight and suspension wear condition. "Compression" is where you should set firmness preference. Since I didn't adjust rebound at all, I wonder what I might be missing...

I don't feel my set up is perfect. I believe the car understeers noticeably more than it did before installing the KWs. I feel like I have more dive/squat than videos I've seen of other F10s. Sometimes it seems a little on the harsh side still but recently I was out on a drive and really started to push on imperfect pavement and it really did a great job of staying planted so I might be retracting that I could firm up the rear to try to dial out some understeer but may regret the harshness returning.

I'm curious where other KW owners have ended up as well. I know ChiNorm is "full soft" all around because of his local road conditions. I don't even know how many more clicks there are from where I am to "full soft". I think I should have spent more time at this in July....

I would say the number one thing I noticed compared to X-Drive, non-sport, non-adaptive base suspension is the rear not being a floaty barge. The rear end is actually taut. First trip out I kept getting smacked in the head by the headrest as I could now feel bumps front.rear.....front.rear......front.rear.... Instead of "boof.float..bounce..."
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

10/13 from full soft. Megan Coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Winter is coming around the corner and the weather is slowly dropping so I'm getting ready to swap out my 20inch rims and throw on my 18inch all season setup maybe mid October. I'm planning on raising the car up to maybe one and a half finger gap all around just to be safe if it snows. I'm from NC so it doesn't snow much here so I could still be somewhat lowered. Doing it now would give me enough time to mess around where I would like to be on my winter setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by top ramen View Post
Winter is coming around the corner and the weather is slowly dropping so I'm getting ready to swap out my 20inch rims and throw on my 18inch all season setup maybe mid October. I'm planning on raising the car up to maybe one and a half finger gap all around just to be safe if it snows. I'm from NC so it doesn't snow much here so I could still be somewhat lowered. Doing it now would give me enough time to mess around where I would like to be on my winter setup.
I'm a little concerned about my winter ride height for sure, based on the number of "touches" I've encountered during the summer with even modest lowering. I had the car corner balanced when my alignment was done. I'm not so sure that I'm going to go wrenching on things seasonally to change the ride height. Furthermore the KW design changes ride height through changing the pre-load so raising it could completely change things. Oh well - we'll see how it goes. My winters are a lot worse than NC, but with any luck I won't be going very far.

EDIT: I was a little surprised that my modest drop resulted in -1* camber on the front.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #7
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
top ramen,

What coilovers are you running? Sorry if I missed it above.

I just installed my BC Coilovers w/Swift Springs last night. Currently running on BC's recommended settings, which is 8 clicks from full firm. I haven't truly had a chance to determine if I like it or not.
      10-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
cb2004mj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

I'm running BC coils. on my 535d. ran them as they came. verified preload, perches, etc all tight and threw them in. gave me 26" ftg on all four and now running 20" wheels with 245/285 tired with zero rub. dampening is 16 front 14 rear and rides like a dream. may stiffen front two clicks to help tighten handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #9
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Just adjusted my megan's. 16 from soft in front, 26 from soft in rear. The rear springs are much softer than KW's and other brands. I actually really enjoy this now.
Appreciate 0