2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Questions about 2014 535i xDrive - 117K miles: What to expect?

07-10-2023, 04:35 PM   #1
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Questions about 2014 535i xDrive - 117K miles: What to expect?

Looking at a car like this, pretty nicely equipped: https://www.boardwalkmotorsinc.com/i...B3C59ED533583/

The carfax is also available on the site too.

It looks to be in pretty good shape. I see the vents are broke, but I know that's an easy and cheap fix.

Aside from the carfax is there anyway to see what has been done to the car, like at the dealership? I couldn't find a way on the BMW website, but maybe I missed it. I entered the VIN but all I was able to do is view the car's features.

As far as what to expect for potential repairs and maintenance, I came up with a huge laundry list. Is this overkill or a reasonable list? See attached image. 5K seems like a lot to budget.

According to the Carfax, this car recently had one or more drive axels replaced, which I've noticed seems to be an issue with the F10.

Regarding price, is KBB way out of line, or what? I put all the options and the correct mileage in -- and it is saying the value should be mid-$14K, tops? That seems way low to me. Or am I off?

Any recommendations or anything I'm missing or need to account for before buying an F10 535i xDrive with this kind of mileage?

Thanks,

-Nathan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 07:46 PM   #2
TuunedF10
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw 535i

I have a 2013 535i xdrive and I have replaced every single thing on this list out of everything I would set aside money for the water pump and thermostat first because if it hasn’t been changed yet it’s not a matter of if it’s when it goes and it WILL leave you stranded. Brakes and rotors are just like any other car I wouldn’t really count that as something exclusive to this car. The oil pan gasket probably already is leaking they all do and if you have an xdrive it’s more money and a way bigger pain in the a$$. So everything on this list is spot on cross your fingers and hope the transfer case is in good shape because that’s another common failure on xdrive I’m on my second one. I know it sounds like a lot but all these things won’t go at once and you can addres them as they come up but yea these are all things that most likely will need to be addressed.
Appreciate 1
natesi204.00
      07-11-2023, 12:52 AM   #3
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
I've done all of the above as well, so your list of expected work is spot on. Glad you're being realistic and sounds like you can do most of it? Do N55s have the injector and HPFP issues that N54 engines have? I don't know if there are additional turbo-related issues. I'd put off some of the preventative till a problem started showing, but that's just a matter of time. Get the trans done first thing IMO as it most likely has not been changed. Oil pan will be pricey on an AWD car, too bad they didn't do it when the axle was replaced. Do the motor mounts at the same time. Is that $1,000 oil pan quote accurate for an AWD car? Seems like it could be more than that. You may need to get a new valve cover rather than just gasket if the PCV is going out (mine did). My lemony F10 additionally needed an alternator, starter, and DISA valves, but seems like those are more isolated problems. This was all around the 110-125k range.

Dealer price is a little high for that mileage IMO. KBB is closer and seems like a reasonable dealer ask for a car with 116k on it. But we're not talking a ton of difference between the two, so go for it if you like the color and options are what you are looking for. The ownership and maintenance history look pretty solid (third owner looks a little sus with the shops they went to, but at least they took it in). M package looks GREAT, but 19" tires are pricey. I'd rather have 18s, especially if your roads aren't great. It doesn't have comfort seats which some people (my wife) love. Color combo looks FANTASTIC!

Hope that helps... it looks nice, just a smidge spendy.

Oh also differential mounts and guibo (maybe rear subframe as well?) go out fast on F10s. Plan on those and look at the suspension bushings while there.

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 07-11-2023 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
natesi204.00
      07-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #4
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Thanks for the replies all -- this helps a lot!
Appreciate 1