2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Soundproofing Dynamat

02-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Soundproofing Dynamat

Hey guys! does anyone have any experience with dynamat/soundproofing the doors? Didn't realize they were sealed, which makes sense now. Reading some people warn against breaking the seal. What did you guys do?

Mainly looking to reduce road noise and a loud exhaust. Going to do the trunk too..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
tranv117
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i F10

Peel off the grey foam to gain access to the outer door skin. Deaden that. Use grey/block epoxy that you can purchase at Home Depot to reattach the grey foam.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranv117 View Post
Peel off the grey foam to gain access to the outer door skin. Deaden that. Use grey/block epoxy that you can purchase at Home Depot to reattach the grey foam.
Thanks! Something like this? J-B Weld 50176 KwikWeld Steel Reinforced Epoxy Syringe - Dark Grey - 25 ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009EU5ZMA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1lTwEb66RYT7M
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
ECR33
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D F10

Hi.

While upgrading speakers in the front doors of my F10 I used sound deadening / proofing as well. I did not need to buy/apply new epoxy. Note: I did not notice a big difference in terms of road or exhaust noise. I used sound deadening mats inside the doors themselves as well as on the door cards. I also added 10 mm (~0,4 inch) sound deadening "foam" on the door cards, so I didn't "skimp" out.
I would do it again though. I do feel like cabin noise is a tad bit lower now, but that may just be me.

In regards of the seal you're referring to:
I gently peeled off the seal around the top and sides, but not on the bottom. This way I could easily bend the seal down without damaging it, clean and dry the inside of the door, apply sound deadening mat and close the seal again without applying new epoxy/glue/whatever it's called.
No leaks, moisture or anything. Still completely intact and seals properly.

Tip: do it in a garage or while it's sunny outside (+77 fahrenheit / +25 degrees celsius) or add some heat with a hairdryer or heatgun. This will make the epoxy easier to remove and reapply. To reapply you simply make sure to add pressure on the epoxy and it will easily stick back on.

Edit: I had the foam/seal peeled down like in this Youtube video, though I peeled it down about 2 inches further. At 3:37.

Last edited by ECR33; 03-07-2020 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sylverlee150.00
      03-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR33 View Post
Hi.

While upgrading speakers in the front doors of my F10 I used sound deadening / proofing as well. I did not need to buy/apply new epoxy. Note: I did not notice a big difference in terms of road or exhaust noise. I used sound deadening mats inside the doors themselves as well as on the door cards. I also added 10 mm (~0,4 inch) sound deadening "foam" on the door cards, so I didn't "skimp" out.
I would do it again though. I do feel like cabin noise is a tad bit lower now, but that may just be me.

In regards of the seal you're referring to:
I gently peeled off the seal around the top and sides, but not on the bottom. This way I could easily bend the seal down without damaging it, clean and dry the inside of the door, apply sound deadening mat and close the seal again without applying new epoxy/glue/whatever it's called.
No leaks, moisture or anything. Still completely intact and seals properly.

Tip: do it in a garage or while it's sunny outside (+77 fahrenheit / +25 degrees celsius) or add some heat with a hairdryer or heatgun. This will make the epoxy easier to remove and reapply. To reapply you simply make sure to add pressure on the epoxy and it will easily stick back on.

Edit: I had the foam/seal peeled down like in this Youtube video, though I peeled it down about 2 inches further. At 3:37.
Thank you for that! How did you manage to seal it without using an additional adhesive?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
ECR33
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D F10

No problem! Happy to help.

Re-sealing went really easy. The factory adhesive (don't know the proper word) is still sticky and will easily reapply to the door. Just make sure to add pressure on the adhesive all around the foam/seal.

If you're worried try starting peeling off the door seal/foam from one of the top corners (I found those the easiest points to start) like 10 inches. After peeling off about 10 inches of the adhesive, try and re-seal/stick the foam back on the door with the factory adhesive. You will then see how easy it goes, and will hopefully assure you that re-sealing with the factory adhesive is no problem. :-)
Appreciate 0