2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 2013 535i upgrade screen

01-04-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
dustyrah
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5i E85(2003)

2013 535i upgrade screen

Does the 2013 535i only have the small screen or can it be retrofitted with a larger screen. I want to replace with only OEM screen and have seen some 8.5 inch ones or something.

I am trying to find out if there are two screen sizes or just 1 and if I can buy the larger screen on Ebay or something (part number?) and replace it myself without having to obtain a new cable.

Thanks for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrah View Post
Does the 2013 535i only have the small screen or can it be retrofitted with a larger screen. I want to replace with only OEM screen and have seen some 8.5 inch ones or something.

I am trying to find out if there are two screen sizes or just 1 and if I can buy the larger screen on Ebay or something (part number?) and replace it myself without having to obtain a new cable.

Thanks for your feedback!
IIRC, there are two options; NAV and no-NAV. AFAIK, all USA bound 535's had NAV, therefore the bigger, 10.x" screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't this also have to be coded to work? I wanted to do mine but never did because of what the end cost was gonna be. not just a simple plug and play and call it a day. it involved coding among other things
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

I am pretty sure the screen is connected as one unit.
You would also run into aspect ratio and resolution differences.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
_GW_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

Do you have CIC or NBT based headunit?

My 2013 535i came with 6.5 inch screen. The software in my headunit has the CIC user interface. The Bimmercode app says my headunit type is CHAMP2. It also identifies the headunit as HU_CICHB.

Even though my headunit has CIC user interface, my 6.5 inch screen still used a NBT (6 pin) LVDS cable to connect to the headunit. I verified this by looking at both the cable and connector.

Bimmercode didn't give the option to code a different resolution on my CIC based headunit unit. And Ive read that it's because only the NBT based headunits allow you to code a different resolution to be sent to the screen.

Put differently, even if you have a screen that uses NBT connection to the headunit, you still need the headunit itself to be NBT in order to have access to the option to code the resolution that the headunit sends to the screen. A CIC unit apparently might not give the option to select a different resolution. This is just what I've read. I'm no expert on this.

If all this stuff is true about not being able to change redolution on CIC headunits, then that could be why the 10.25 in Android replacement screens offer the split screen display option. So that the 6.5 in CIC folks who can't code their headunits to support a different resolution, don't end up with just a wider screen that tries to fill up it's available widescreen real estate by simply stretching the lower resolution that its getting from the headunit. Instead, the lower resolution can remain unstretched by occupying only part of the wider screen. While the other unoccupied part of the wider screen is filled with a widget graphic that shows some information that's placed there by the Android unit itself (fuel level and speed).

Again, I'm no expert on this. But what I said about my car's particular setup is accurate because I checked it myself before ordering my Android replacement screen which now uses the 6 pin NBT cable to connect to my CIC based headunit.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #6
dustyrah
Rep

I am still trying to figure out if I have the CIC or NBT. There is no navigation in this car though there is a Nav button.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
_GW_
Enlisted Member
Rep

These pictures might help
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
dustyrah
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _GW_ View Post
These pictures might help
Thanks a lot for this picture! Makes it so much easier to organize my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #9
dustyrah
Rep

I think I have the CIC. Would I be able to buy a NBT head unit/screen and replace my current CIC head unit/screen? My screen is the small one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F10-F11...hwIL:rk:1:pf:0
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
_GW_
Enlisted Member
Rep

Maybe this article could shed light on the subject of swapping out CIC for NBT and so on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #11
michael873
Rep
Drives: 5.25d

As article says, 2013 F10 6.5" screen is NBT. But the unit in my car is the same as CIC (no red highligted choice like NBT). But LVDS port at the back of screen has 6 pins. Again article says that CIC has 4 pin LVDS. I'm really confused.

Maybe the article is wrong. Any comment ?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
_GW_
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael873 View Post
As article says, 2013 F10 6.5" screen is NBT. But the unit in my car is the same as CIC (no red highligted choice like NBT). But LVDS port at the back of screen has 6 pins. Again article says that CIC has 4 pin LVDS. I'm really confused.

Maybe the article is wrong. Any comment ?
I understand the confusion. And it seems this article says the same thing as all the other articles and forum posts I've read about this issue. All of them say that 2013 F10s come with NBT from factory.

I'm in a similar situation. I have CIC menu system but my display uses the 6 pin LVDS connector which everybody says is the actual connector that NBT uses.

I also connected ISTA+ to my car and it showed a chart that said my Headunit is CHAMP2. I don't know for certain if CHAMP2 can have either CIC or NBT interface.

At the end of the day I did upgrade my 6.5 in screen to an Android display and I opted for the Android screen with the NBT connector and it's now installed and working great. So it seems 2013 cars might really be NBT after-all.

I wish there was a more definitive way to settle this question once and for all.
      04-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
michael873
Rep
Drives: 5.25d

I have HU_CHAMP2 (it is shown if I connect to car via e-sys). My 6WB can't show current fuel consumption in digital in BC (there is only average one). If I retrofit it to Android, is it possible to see current fuel cons. ?

I am sure that it can show it with NBT retrofit. Because in HU_NBT (e-sys) has a code value for this while HU_CHAMP2 does not have.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #14
panyok
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by _GW_ View Post
Do you have CIC or NBT based headunit?

My 2013 535i came with 6.5 inch screen. The software in my headunit has the CIC user interface. The Bimmercode app says my headunit type is CHAMP2. It also identifies the headunit as HU_CICHB.

Even though my headunit has CIC user interface, my 6.5 inch screen still used a NBT (6 pin) LVDS cable to connect to the headunit. I verified this by looking at both the cable and connector.

Bimmercode didn't give the option to code a different resolution on my CIC based headunit unit. And Ive read that it's because only the NBT based headunits allow you to code a different resolution to be sent to the screen.

Put differently, even if you have a screen that uses NBT connection to the headunit, you still need the headunit itself to be NBT in order to have access to the option to code the resolution that the headunit sends to the screen. A CIC unit apparently might not give the option to select a different resolution. This is just what I've read. I'm no expert on this.

If all this stuff is true about not being able to change redolution on CIC headunits, then that could be why the 10.25 in Android replacement screens offer the split screen display option. So that the 6.5 in CIC folks who can't code their headunits to support a different resolution, don't end up with just a wider screen that tries to fill up it's available widescreen real estate by simply stretching the lower resolution that its getting from the headunit. Instead, the lower resolution can remain unstretched by occupying only part of the wider screen. While the other unoccupied part of the wider screen is filled with a widget graphic that shows some information that's placed there by the Android unit itself (fuel level and speed).

Again, I'm no expert on this. But what I said about my car's particular setup is accurate because I checked it myself before ordering my Android replacement screen which now uses the 6 pin NBT cable to connect to my CIC based headunit.
Hi. Could you tell me how can I check what type is the screen. I would like upgrade to Android creen. But I don't know myone CIC or NBT I have 2011, 520d with small creen. Is there any chance to check in the menu , or need the VIN number?
Thanks
Appreciate 0