2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 12.3" Popout Android Multimedia Navigation System for BMW 5 Series F10 F11 F18

03-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #111
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Going from 6.5" to 12.3" is almost quadruple of the screen area. It's going to be huge initially but will get use to it. Now I feel my wife X3 10" screen look small. As for iGO, you just download the map and drop it in the iGO map folder. As for where to get it, just do a search in google.
Hi, is there an SD/microSD slot on the unit? I've watched a few install videos but didn't really notice a slot.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #112
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikeycrapper View Post
I usually drive up to areas where the cellular signal can get really dodgy, so I am interested in the onboard navigation that comes with the unit, likely iGo, where I can download the offline maps. I'm wondering where the SD/microSD card for the iGo goes on the unit? TIA.
Nevermind. I IMd avinusa and they provided me the answer to this.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #113
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi, is there an SD/microSD slot on the unit? I've watched a few install videos but didn't really notice a slot.
avinusa provided a response to this. It's on the left side of the monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #114
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I verified my LVDS yesterday and found out that my F10 (2013 528i) has the 6-pin LVDS connector. However, it has the CIC system UI. I think I should order the NBT version of the multimedia system, but just want to verify/clarify before I pull the trigger. Can someone please confirm? Thanks!
2013 5-series have the NBT navigation system. The UI on the CIC and NBT systems are very similar (with some visual styling differences).

UI didn't change until half-way through the NBT Evo system (with ID5).

Easiest way to tell is check your navigation map version, if it's Premium, it's CIC. If it's Next, it's NBT.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #115
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooati View Post
Got it. iDrive and OEM audio integration works VERY well.

Just looked up the PD5120 splitter. Wouldn't the GPS210 be more appropriate for this use case? Any reason why you went with the PD520 instead?
I was able to get the PD5120 cheaper, it's the same physical size as the GPS210, it just covers a larger signal range than the GPS210, but it still designed for GPS applications.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:02 PM   #116
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
2013 5-series have the NBT navigation system. The UI on the CIC and NBT systems are very similar (with some visual styling differences).

UI didn't change until half-way through the NBT Evo system (with ID5).

Easiest way to tell is check your navigation map version, if it's Premium, it's CIC. If it's Next, it's NBT.
I actually took out the screen to see what LVDS connector was and confirmed it was 6-pin. I figured it was better to do it that way. I have one on order from NaviFly now, a little over $500 shipped.

I'm also thinking about a trunk release rear camera. I found this but not sure about which resolution to get. I'm leaning towards the 1920*1080P one, but not sure if the NaviFly unit supports that resolution. Otherwise, the 1280*720P seems like the right option.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #117
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

To get the same thing from AVIN as NAVIFLY, you have to pay ~$80 more. AVIN shows built-in carplay as a $49.99 option, but aren't all of these units offering built-in carplay? If you order one without it, isn't it still there? It's software, not hardware, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:40 PM   #118
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegeezy View Post
To get the same thing from AVIN as NAVIFLY, you have to pay ~$80 more. AVIN shows built-in carplay as a $49.99 option, but aren't all of these units offering built-in carplay? If you order one without it, isn't it still there? It's software, not hardware, right?
I bought this from NaviFly on 3/30/2021 for about $515 (including taxes and shipping). I received the unit today (04/07/2021) via DHL. The unit was actually shipped on Friday, so I would say the turnaround time was pretty quick, which I wasn't expecting. It already included wireless Carplay.

Since I've watched a few install videos, I was able to install the unit in a couple of hours. I took my time and made sure I didn't miss anything. The unit came with a mic, BTW, which was not specified in the listing. Since I plan on using the Bluetooth that the unit has, I had to run the mic's wire by the A-pillar on the driver's side and that took some time. I also had to run the AUX cable back to the center console since my BMW headunit would not output the sound using the AUX input on the wiring harness, so that's additional time also.

So far, the unit works, but I noticed the iDrive controller knob doesn't seem to function when navigating the Android screen. I'm not entirely sure if this is the same behavior observed by others who bought the NaviFly unit. I might need to look at the factory setting again to see if there's a setting to enable it while in the Android screen.

I'm trying to get iGo maps OR install another GPS software where I can get offline maps like Here. I'm also looking into a trunk release rear AHD camera. I'm leaning towards a 1920*1080P one, but not sure if the NaviFly unit supports that resolution. The factory settings menu seems to support it, but not entirely sure like I said. Otherwise, 1280*720P seems like the right option.
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #119
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So far, the unit works, but I noticed the iDrive controller knob doesn't seem to function when navigating the Android screen. I'm not entirely sure if this is the same behavior observed by others who bought the NaviFly unit. I might need to look at the factory setting again to see if there's a setting to enable it while in the Android screen.
Seems like the iDrive controller is functioning on the Android screen now. I'm not really certain how it enabled. These Android screens are a tad flaky, it seems. Still need to use a bit more to get a better opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #120
BaileyD
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

Just ordered one of these to replace the andream box i have
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #121
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

After installing the DAC for almost a week, below is my subjective observation.

1. The DAC does improved the audio quality. Not to say the build in DAC for SD625 is very bad.
2. The improvement in bass region where you can feel that it's not bloated. Very solid drum hit. Initially you might feel it's slightly less bass but it's faster and cleaner beat.
3. High does feel more extended and more zing to it. It's more airy with better clarity and definition of space maybe due to better separation of instrument and vocal.

Cons is 20% of the time, the sound is not output to DAC. Need to unplug and plug in again the DAC for it to work. I'm going to install a USB cable with power switch so that I can reset the DAC without pulling it out by cutting power to Topping E30 DAC.

Need to mention I own HK systems with upgraded speakers and underseat sub. Also slightly tweak the freq below 50hz to slightly boost higher to compensate for HK system bass roll off.

Overall highly recommended to install an external DAC if you have a good sound system.

My settings is try to equalize the volume between OEM system and Android. AUX input volume is around 12 and for the DAC, the output volume settings is -9db. Android Media volume is at one step below maximum.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:54 PM   #122
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I bought this from NaviFly on 3/30/2021 for about $515 (including taxes and shipping). I received the unit today (04/07/2021) via DHL. The unit was actually shipped on Friday, so I would say the turnaround time was pretty quick, which I wasn't expecting. It already included wireless Carplay.

Since I've watched a few install videos, I was able to install the unit in a couple of hours. I took my time and made sure I didn't miss anything. The unit came with a mic, BTW, which was not specified in the listing. Since I plan on using the Bluetooth that the unit has, I had to run the mic's wire by the A-pillar on the driver's side and that took some time. I also had to run the AUX cable back to the center console since my BMW headunit would not output the sound using the AUX input on the wiring harness, so that's additional time also.

I'm trying to get iGo maps OR install another GPS software where I can get offline maps like Here. I'm also looking into a trunk release rear AHD camera. I'm leaning towards a 1920*1080P one, but not sure if the NaviFly unit supports that resolution. The factory settings menu seems to support it, but not entirely sure like I said. Otherwise, 1280*720P seems like the right option.
For the iDrive control, check the factory settings and select second option which I think is CAN v1.0 NEW. From top to bottom, CCC --> CIC --> NBT --> NBT EVO.
As for map, you can either download and copy the map for iGO or just get Sygic. If I need online traffic info will switch to Google Map or Waze.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:19 PM   #123
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For the iDrive control, check the factory settings and select second option which I think is CAN v1.0 NEW. From top to bottom, CCC --> CIC --> NBT --> NBT EVO.
As for map, you can either download and copy the map for iGO or just get Sygic. If I need online traffic info will switch to Google Map or Waze.
Thanks!

I installed Sygic but it isn’t able to provide voice navigation prompts because the Android screen would not allow the Google TTS engine to install. Whenever I go into the Accessibility settings and Text-to-Speech settings, the Android screen would briefly enter the settings and then quickly exit out. This is when the Google TTS app is installed. If I uninstall Google TTS app and go back into Accessibility settings, it settles on the page but no Preferred Engine can be selected.

I also installed Here We Go and it works until a voice that speaks names is attempted for installation. Then, it balks and says it needs a TTS engine.

I haven’t pursued iGo since I still have to get the maps, at least, for the state I live in.

I’m not sure if the Google TTS App needs to be sideloaded but that’s kind of a flaky way to install it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 01:58 AM   #124
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

I only use iGO and Waze so far and didn't have any voice navigation problem. I'll try out Sygic and check.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #125
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

I installed Sygic but it isn’t able to provide voice navigation prompts because the Android screen would not allow the Google TTS engine to install. Whenever I go into the Accessibility settings and Text-to-Speech settings, the Android screen would briefly enter the settings and then quickly exit out. This is when the Google TTS app is installed. If I uninstall Google TTS app and go back into Accessibility settings, it settles on the page but no Preferred Engine can be selected.

I also installed Here We Go and it works until a voice that speaks names is attempted for installation. Then, it balks and says it needs a TTS engine.

I haven’t pursued iGo since I still have to get the maps, at least, for the state I live in.

I’m not sure if the Google TTS App needs to be sideloaded but that’s kind of a flaky way to install it.
To resolve the TTS issue, I did a factory reset on the Android screen. I was able to select the Google TTS as the TTS engine. Afterwards, I installed all the apps I wanted. Sygic seems to be the best offline GPS and I will likely purchase the lifetime license for the maps.

I also repositioned the GPS antenna to be outside of the dashboard, it was having difficulty getting a signal when inside the dashboard where I initially placed it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #126
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To resolve the TTS issue, I did a factory reset on the Android screen. I was able to select the Google TTS as the TTS engine. Afterwards, I installed all the apps I wanted. Sygic seems to be the best offline GPS and I will likely purchase the lifetime license for the maps.

I also repositioned the GPS antenna to be outside of the dashboard, it was having difficulty getting a signal when inside the dashboard where I initially placed it.
I just swap the GPS antenna from BMW to Android HU and vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:31 AM   #127
crikeycrapper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just swap the GPS antenna from BMW to Android HU and vice versa.
My F10 does not have built-in navigation system. The Android HU adds one.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:53 PM   #128
mplt41
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 528i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyD View Post
Just ordered one of these to replace the andream box i have
I am currently looking for a way to get CarPlay in my car. I was planning on getting an Andream box, were you not happy with yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #129
Bogdan94
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D LCI

Anyone has static noise in aux?how do i get rid of this?This happen only after 12.3 android display install,if i change back to idrive system on usb or bt there is no static noise
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 06:04 PM   #130
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan94 View Post
Anyone has static noise in aux?how do i get rid of this?This happen only after 12.3 android display install,if i change back to idrive system on usb or bt there is no static noise
If you have noise issue, try out the noise isolator for AUX. I don't so I leave it out as I believe the lesser component in the audio path the better.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3273...archweb201603_
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #131
webvamsi666
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520D

Lightbulb Few questions over Navifly

Quote:

Amazing to see this thread, I was literally searching for the information on this thread. I am very interested to add 12.3 inch pop-out android for my F10. I did some research few units are of 720p screen, found one for 1080 HD screen and another one with 8GB ram and 128GB rom.

1080p Model:

https://tereteknik.se/index.php?rout...product_id=802

8+128G 12.3 TPXINXIN 413£:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002733427371.html

But I am more interested in Navifly one as it fits my purpose for 350£:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...e292d5a7fe8b7e

Few questions please, would be great if anyone can answer these:

1. Does that blue film/film removable from Navifly?
2. Would I be able to install TomTom Amigo?
3. If I use my BMW bluetooth(which I like as i can re-dail from steering wheels) and can i able to hear the Maps sounds? (I think no as I need this Android unit to be on AUX right?)
4. If I use Android Bluetooth does my mobile automatically connect to it when I turn on the car? and would I be able to make calls via steering wheel and access contacts/recent list to make a calls?
5. Does the Navifly has wired CarPlay for Android? are they providing USB to connect Android Auto?
5. Anyone tried 4G SIM in these and how was the experience 4G SIM vs connecting hotspot?
6. Any issues in Head unit like restarts/hanging or does it show any chinese language while startup?

I do have 360 Surround camera hope it will show in full screen, i've seen few Android Head units shows only half screen!

Thank you all
Vam
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #132
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Hello all, I just installed a new 12.3" Android HU. I have a quick questions regarding settings.

I am currently using OEM Bluetooth for Calls and Media streaming and I use the Android Bluetooth for CarPlay. This has been working good, my only issue is when I start the car the system will connect to the OEM Bluetooth and start streaming. When the Android system boots up, the system always wants to switch to the Android unit for music streaming and I have to open my music app and switch back to the OEM system. Is there a way to stop the system from automatically switching to media and call streaming? I notice when it switches it, it connects to "localhost" profile. See images. I'm using and Iphone and IOS doesn't give additional Bluetooth settings.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images