2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Battery Registering/Replacement

06-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
drafty76
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535i xDrive

Battery Registering/Replacement

Hello, I'll be changing my battery this weekend as some of my electronics stopped working. I have a 2014 535iX with the original battery stamped from 2013 that reads about 78% capacity on bimmerlink. My OEM battery says 105ah and the closest I can find is 100ah. When I register the battery in bimmerlink, will it detect the change in amperage and will that be good to go?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

The car will only charge the battery up to 80% so 78% is normal.

100Ah should be ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:52 AM   #3
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drafty76 View Post
Hello, I'll be changing my battery this weekend as some of my electronics stopped working. I have a 2014 535iX with the original battery stamped from 2013 that reads about 78% capacity on bimmerlink. My OEM battery says 105ah and the closest I can find is 100ah. When I register the battery in bimmerlink, will it detect the change in amperage and will that be good to go?
Nothing anywhere will ever "detect" your battery is a different capacity. How would it do that?

Battery capacity and chemistry is coded into the car. There are only a few "steps" available for those values - e.g. 80Ah, 90Ah, 105Ah. The new value of 100 is still closest to the 105 bucket so you shouldn't need to code that change. Registration is always necessary when a battery is replaced with new.

As someone mentioned, if the "78% capacity" shown by the app is actually "78% state of charge", then that's perfectly normal and does not indicate any kind of problem. I have no idea how to do it with bimmerlink specifically, but it would be good to find stored codes indicating that electronics were shut down because of insufficient battery capacity if you're using that as your trigger to buy a replacement. Granted, 8 years is beyond expected life time and it's probably not a bad idea to replace it, it might still be unnecessary and the problems you're seeing are due to something else (which may continue even after battery replacement).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
junior961
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Nothing anywhere will ever "detect" your battery is a different capacity. How would it do that?

Battery capacity and chemistry is coded into the car. There are only a few "steps" available for those values - e.g. 80Ah, 90Ah, 105Ah. The new value of 100 is still closest to the 105 bucket so you shouldn't need to code that change. Registration is always necessary when a battery is replaced with new.

As someone mentioned, if the "78% capacity" shown by the app is actually "78% state of charge", then that's perfectly normal and does not indicate any kind of problem. I have no idea how to do it with bimmerlink specifically, but it would be good to find stored codes indicating that electronics were shut down because of insufficient battery capacity if you're using that as your trigger to buy a replacement. Granted, 8 years is beyond expected life time and it's probably not a bad idea to replace it, it might still be unnecessary and the problems you're seeing are due to something else (which may continue even after battery replacement).

That is not correct, referring to the battery capacity, That is exactly how the car determines if your battery is good, or "SOC" State of Charge.

Its not a too difficult, put a load across the battery and measure drain over time. the result is Ah. This is how pretty much any battery tester determines if your battery is any good. The reason for entering the ah rating when registering is so that it knows how to charge your battery. If you didnt register it and just installed the battery, it would charge it according to your previous battery characteristics and since it was an old battery, it would overcharge your new battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 10:33 PM   #5
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Duracell makes a 105ah battery.
Appreciate 0