2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications battery discharge issue (jb4?)

09-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
R1valdo
Rep
Drives: 15” X5 xDrive35i

battery discharge issue (jb4?)

Few weeks now I’m having warning about excessive battery discharge when I start my car in the morning.
Nothing have changed recently and nothing is connected to the car.

Only JB4. It was working fine over last 2 years.

Codes:
Power management: Quiescent
current violation
Error present and stored

Divert air valve: stuck closed
Error stored

“13 535. Battery is barely new, changed and coded 3 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 06:44 AM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

IMO - don't guess. You need to pull the stored error referred under 213601. This may require ISTA. It will tell you which circuit branch.

My F10 had a malfunctioning parking brake actuator which would not sleep correctly back in 2014 or something like that. It could be just about anything and the modules store information to help you identify where the issue is. If you just throw parts at it, you might waste a lot of money and still not fix the problem (who here would have guessed it was a parking brake actuator?)

That being said if any chargers, dongles or add on electronics are present try disconnecting them.

Just for the search hits I'll repeat something I've written many times before: "Battery discharging while stopped" almost certainly does not mean you need a new battery, it means you have an excess load draining the battery when the car is supposed to be asleep. Sometimes a full reboot might fix the problem, and certainly won't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
R1valdo
Rep
Drives: 15” X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
IMO - don't guess. You need to pull the stored error referred under 213601. This may require ISTA. It will tell you which circuit branch.

My F10 had a malfunctioning parking brake actuator which would not sleep correctly back in 2014 or something like that. It could be just about anything and the modules store information to help you identify where the issue is. If you just throw parts at it, you might waste a lot of money and still not fix the problem (who here would have guessed it was a parking brake actuator?)

That being said if any chargers, dongles or add on electronics are present try disconnecting them.

Just for the search hits I'll repeat something I've written many times before: "Battery discharging while stopped" almost certainly does not mean you need a new battery, it means you have an excess load draining the battery when the car is supposed to be asleep. Sometimes a full reboot might fix the problem, and certainly won't hurt.

thanks for reply, that makes sense .
I’m also pretty sure it’s something really small and dumb has open circuit.
I recently hit trash can with rear bumper so it might be even one of the parking sensors.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:06 AM   #4
haupt29
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series 2016

Is any idea how to check if battery has to be replaced??

My car is 5 year old and I am just wondering when to replace battery?
Thank you
Appreciate 0